经典实用句及难点解析
经典实用句之一-----[color=darkred][b]lose one's temper[/b][/color]1.A: What do you think of your girlfriend?
你觉得你女朋友怎么样?
B: Everything's all right except for her temper. When she loses her temper, there's nothing you can do about it.
什么都好,就是脾气不太好。当她发脾气时,你简直拿她没办法。
经典实用句之二---[color=sienna][b]a pushover for flattery[/b][/color]
2. That guy is a pushover for flattery. If you want him to help you, all you have to do is polish an apple.
那家伙很喜欢受人奉承。如果你想要他帮你,只要拍拍他马屁就行了。
难点解析:
a pushover 容易对付的人。直译为“稍微一推就倒下的人”,比喻为容易欺骗、对付的人。
[尝试翻译一下]
<1> He's not a pushover. You’ll need real proof to convince him.
<2> Dick's a real pushover for blonds.
答案:
<1> 他可不是个好对付的人。你要说服他要有真凭实据。
<2> 迪克一见到金发美女就魂不守舍了。
经典实用句之三---[b][color=darkred]on one's last legs[/color][/b]
A: Oh, my God, I'm on my last legs!
天哪!我快要崩溃了!
B: Take it easy. Worry won't help. You'll go nuts if you keep worrying this way.
放轻松一点,担心是没有用的。你再这样下去会发疯的。
难点解析:
on one's last legs, 此处last指“腿已经不能再动”,亦即“腿的机能已达到最后限度”,引申为精疲力竭、垮台、崩溃等意。
经典实用句之四-----[b][color=darkred]hear through the grapevine[/color][/b]
A: Cypher is getting married, do you know that?
Cypher就要结婚了,你知道吗?
B: That can't be. You must have heard it through the grapevine.
不可能,你一定是道听途说。
A: No, I got it straight from the horse's mouth.
没有,我是从他本人那边得知的。
难点解析:
hear sth. through the grapevine, 考虑一下葡萄藤弯弯曲曲向四面八方伸展的情况,就会了解把他比作道听途说是如何贴切了。
get it straight from the horse's mouth, 这里it指the horse's age.要知道马的年龄,只要看它的牙就没有错。引申为从本人或可靠来源处得知。
经典实用句之五-----[b][color=darkred]crossed in love [/color][/b]
A: My girlfriend was crossed in love when I met her and offered my hand.
当我帮我女朋友一把时,她正为情所困呢。
B: Did she accept you at once?
她是不是马上就接受你了?
A: No, she gave me a hard time to prove my worth.
没有,她花了很长时间来考验我。
经典实用句之六-----[b][color=darkred]sell sb. down the river[/color][/b]
A: I'm through with you, you bastard!
我跟你绝交了,你这个混蛋!
B: Why do you use bad language? Did I do anything wrong?
干什么骂人呢?我做错事了吗?
A: I'm sick of your pretense. You sold me down the river to the public. How dare you, you traitor!
假惺惺的,真让人恶心。在大家面前出卖我,你怎么敢这样?你这个叛徒!
难点解析:
sell sb. down the river, 这里的river指密西西比河。过去,美国的农场主把为他们辛勤劳动的奴隶卖到密西西比河下游的农场去,甚至不讲人道地拆散奴隶的家庭,把一家人卖到不同地方去。由此引申为出卖同伴或朋友的意思。
经典实用句之七-----[b][color=darkred]give it to sb.straight[/color][/b]
Don't try to spare my feelings, give it to me straight (from the shoulder), doctor, have I got cancer?
别怕伤害我的感情,直说吧,医生,我是不是得了癌症了?
难点解析:
give it to sb. straight, 这里it指the facts, straight是“笔直的”,直译为“毫不歪曲地给与事实”。有时加from the shoulder,意义不变。 好强的东西啊,有很多看不懂,要好好学习 还不赖 Thanks.:)
页:
[1]