听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 【10月28日】——警察与赞美诗(6)
返回列表 发帖

【10月28日】——警察与赞美诗(6)

本帖最后由 jane019 于 2012-11-10 21:30 编辑

On the sidewalk Soapy began to yell drunken gibberish at the top of his harsh voice. He danced,howled,raved,and otherwise disturbed the welkin.

The policeman twirled his club,turned his back to Soapy and remarked to a citizen: “’Tis one of them Yale lads celebratin’ the goose egg they give to the Hartford College. Noisy; but no harm. We’ve instructions to lave them be.”

Disconsolate,Soapy ceased his unavailing racket. Would never a policeman lay hands on him? In his fancy the Island seemed an unattainable Arcadia. He buttoned his thin coat against the chilling wind.

In a cigar store he saw a well-dressed man lighting a cigar at a swinging light. His silk umbrella he had set by the door on entering. Soapy stepped inside,secured the umbrella and sauntered off with it slowly. The man at the cigar light followed hastily.

“My umbrella,” he said sternly.

“Oh,is it?” sneered Soapy,adding insult to petit larceny. “Well,why don’t you call a policeman? I took it. Your umbrella! Why don’t you call a cop? There stands one on the corner.”

The umbrella owner slowed his steps. Soapy did likewise,with a presentiment that luck would run against him. The policeman looked at the two curiously.

“Of course,” said the umbrella man—“that is—well,you know how these mistakes occur—I—if it’s your umbrella I hope you’ll excuse me—I picked it up this morning in a restaurant—If you recognise it as yours,why—I hope you’ll—“

“Of course it’s mine,” said Soapy viciously.

The ex-umbrella man retreated. The policeman hurried to assist a tall blonde in an opera cloak across the street in front of a street car that was approaching two blocks away.   

评分人数

• tingroom

参考译文
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

⑩阿卡狄亚(Arcadia):原为古希腊一山区,现在伯罗奔尼撒半岛中部,以其居民过着田园牧歌式的淳朴生活而著称,现指“世外桃源”。

thank you for sharing

回复 4# hetao3199

you're welcome.

have no sense with the story.so much new words.help for translation

评分人数

• jane019

see it.