听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 阅读提高 » The Sled
返回列表 发帖

The Sled

The Sled

The snow was soft and deep outside. If only he could get out to try new sled. But, his mother was angry. He had called his sister a liar.

"You cannot go out until you learn how to be a gentleman," his mother said. "Now tell your sister you are sorry!"

He looked across the table at his sister. She was looking down at her dinner. He saw a small smile on her face.

"Tell her!" his mother ordered.

He saw his sister smile as if she had wom a victory.

"I will not tell her," he answered. "She is laughing at me. Besides, she is a liar."

"That settles it," his mother told him. "You do not go out to play!"

His hands began to shake with anger. He was angry at his sister, and now angry with himself. He fought to stop the tears from coming.

"I...will...tell her. I am...sorry," he said a little too quick and too loud.

"That is better," his mother said. "You two should love each other, not always fight."

He waited until the right moment, then asked again.

"Can I go out to play now?"

His mother told him he could, and he jumped up from the table. He looked at his sister. His mouth and eyes laughed.

He put the coat on, then his long rubber shoes, and his gloves to keep for hands warm. He got to the door when hismother spoke:

"Put your hat on," she said.

"Aw Mom."

"Put it on!"

"Aw Mom. It's not cold out."

"Put it on.",

"Honest Mom, it's not that Cold."

"Put it on or stay inside."

He got his hat and put it on his head, then opened the door and closed it behind him.

It felt good to be in the dark barn, alone. The barn was silent. He was free to play at last. He looked at his sled for a moment, then felt the long cold steel it rode on. He lifted

the sled and held it tightly against him. It was a small sled and not very heavy, but it was strong. And when he ran with it, he ran very fast. It was the best of all sleds. It was his. He was excited.

He lifted the sled again and hurried to open the door.

"Joey!" It was his mother's voice.

He stood quiet. He did not answer.

"Joseph!"

He said nothing. Then, afraid and angry, he answered:

"What?"

"Be in by seven o'clock!"

"All right!" and he opened the door.

He saw the white might before him. The snow was beautiful. He started to walk into the night, but then stopped. He pulled his hat from his head, and dropped it on the snow.

He pulled his sled into the street and began--slowly at first, then faster and faster. Soon he was running as fast as he could go. He saw the snow pass under his feet. Don't fall--Now! And he dropped the sled to the snow and himse1f on top of the sled. He felt the freedom of sliding alone down the shadowy street. The only sound was the crunch of the steel runners sliding over the snow.

Up ahead he saw a big hill of snow. He turned his sled

toward it.

The snow hill grew bigger and bigger--then, just at the right time, he turned. There was a loud sound from under his sled--a snap of cold steel, and both he and the sled turned over and over in the snow.

He lay there in the cold snow. Hisface was cut.

The steel runner on the bottom of the sled was broken. He looked at it and touched the broken place with his fingers. He pushed the broken ends together until they joined. Only a thin line showed the break.

He got up slowly and beganwalking home. Near the house, he sat down in the snow again. He lay the sled across his legs like a baby. He looked at the steel runner. It was still broken. He started to cry.

He dried his tears on his coat and bopn to grt up, just as his sister opened the door and came out into the night. He watched her as she walked toward the store down the street. She went inside to buy something. He waited. When he heard the crunching snow under her feet, he tuned to her and said:

"Hi!"

"Hi! How is the sledding?"

"Just right," he answered. "The snow is nice and fast. I'm resting now." Her fingers moved up and down the broken place. There was a silence... at last she spoke.

"Well, I think I'll go in."

His next thought came suddenly. He felt his heart beat faster... "Do you want to ride my sled?" The sound of his voice frightened him.

She suddenly became alive. "Can I? I mean, will you let me, really?"

"Sure, go ahead," and he gave her the sled very carefully. He watched her as she began to run. The sled looked heavy in her arms. He saw her almost fall...he was afraid she would got hurt and ran into the street to shout--to teIl her. He opened his mouth, but the words did not come. And then it was too

late.

She dropped the Sled to the snow and jumped on. The broken steel runner spread apart. He saw her head go down and hit the road: he saw her feet rise in the air. Both girl and sled sled rolled over and over.

She came to him. The sled was in one hand, the broken steelrunner hanging down.

She cried softly; the tears ran down her face. There was blood near her mouth.

He wanted to say something, anything. He tried, but no words came.

"I'm Sorry...l'm sorry, I broke your sled," his sister said.

"It will be all right... I can get if fixed."

"No," she said. "It will never be the same. I'm sorry," and she began to cry louder.

He wanted to put his hand gently on her to make her feel better. He even put his hand out in the air to touch her.But he didn't. All he could say was:

"Don't cry, It wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was," she said. "It was my fault."

"No," he said softly. "No, it wasn't."

But she did not hear him. They stood and looked at each other, then she looked down at the snow. "Girls are so...so foolish," she said.

There was no sound. She stopped crying. She just looked at the snow. He heard nothing and only felt the cold air. Then, not knowing what to do, he said: "No, girls are not foolish."

He felt her breathe easier. He saw a shining look in her eyes he did not undersbod. He wishedshe would go in the house. Then he saw the dried tears and blood on her face and he felt very sorryfor her.

He moved closer to her and looked at her cut mouth. He placed his hands on both sides of het face. It felt small.

"It's not a bad cut," She said,"But Perhaps I should go in and washit."

"Yes," he said. "You should wash it."

They walked to the house. He felt her looking at him.

"You have a cut on your face," she told him. "Let me put some snow on it."

"No, it's all right. I fell. You go in and wash your cut."

"Well, all right,"shesaid. "But do not forgetto put your hat on."

He looked at her.

"Before you come in the house, I mean." They both smiled.

She went into the house. He turnedand kicked me snow. We looked at the sky but did not see it.. He put his cold hands in his pockets, butdid not feel them.

He saw part of thestreetgrow dark. It was seven o'clock.

返回列表