听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 雅思 » 阅读提高:印度两个HIV携带者结婚
返回列表 发帖

阅读提高:印度两个HIV携带者结婚

AHMEDABAD, India (Reuters) - Indian matchmakers are helping HIV/ AIDS sufferers find partners, advertising in the matrimonial columns of weekend newspapers and arranging weddings.

Matchmakers write the ads, keep the identities of would-be brides and grooms secret and arrange counseling for couples facing the rest of their lives together with a killer disease, says H. Raj, who runs a wedding bureau in the commercial capital of Gujarat state, Ahmedabad.

"It was tough taking care of my young daughter after I lost my husband from AIDS," says a 35-year-old kindergarten teacher."Because of my financial and emotional needs, I wanted to find a partner ... who was HIV positive like me. For us, marriage is about accepting the truth and living well, even with a killer disease."

She married a man she found through the matrimonial columns, in a simple ceremony at her parents’ home. Most marriages in India are still arranged, though generally with the consent of the bride and groom, and newspapers are full of such ads.

But India’s five million HIV/AIDS sufferers face vicious prejudice. They are sacked from their jobs, shunned by their families, friends and neighbors, thrown out of hospital beds and sometimes denied treatment.

And HIV/AIDS widows face a double stigma in a country where some women withdraw from daily life when their husbands die.

返回列表