不管怎样当这种缺乏情感抑或缺乏主见的男人第一次来做邻居,那些深喑此道的亲属就会为他们女儿着想了。
  “我亲爱的班纳特先生”有一天他的妻子说道,“你知道尼日斐尔德庄园最终租给谁了”
  班纳特先生回答说不知道。
  “但这是真的”她说道“朗夫人刚才正好在这里,她把一切全告诉我了”
  班纳特没有作声。
“你难道不想知道是谁把它租下了”他的妻子不耐烦地叫道。
“你想说就说吧,我听听也无妨”
  这句邀请已经足够了
  “怎么了,我亲爱的,你要知道,据朗夫人说尼日斐尔德庄园已被一位来自英国北部的拥有巨大财富的年青人租下了,他在星期一坐着驷马大马车来看庄园,对庄园非常中意,立刻与莫里斯先生谈妥了;他将在米迦勒节前夕搬进来,他的几个仆人会在下个周末住进来”。
  “他叫什么”
  “宾利”
  “他结婚了吗”
  “哦,单身,我亲爱的,肯定是的!一个拥有巨大财富,年薪四至五千英镑的单身男人。对我们的女儿们来说是多么幸运的事啊”
  “ 怎么这么说呢?这事跟她们有关系吗?”
  “我亲爱的班纳特先生”妻子说道“你真让人心烦,你要知道我是在关心他会娶她们中的一个”。
  “这是他呆在这的目的”
  “目的!废话,亏你说得出!不过他极有可能是爱上了她们中的一个,所以他一来你就得马上去拜访他。”
  “我看没这必要。你要么让她们自己去要么带她们去,这样或许更好些,你长得跟她们一样有姿色,宾利先生或许会更喜欢你”。
  “亲爱的,你抬举我了。我当然有过自己的美貌,但是现在我不能假装自己有什么了不起了。作为一个已是五个待出嫁女儿的母亲,她就会无暇去关心自己的外貌了。”
  “照你这么说,一个女人家对自己的外貌也转不了多少念头了。”
  “真的,我亲爱的,当宾得先生一来这,你就得立刻去看他。”
  “我会重视的,你向你保证。”
  “请你想想你的女儿吧,仅仅想妻她们中的一个未来将继承偌大一份家业啊。威廉姆先生和他的太太鲁卡斯夫人仅仅为了这个缘故已经准备去拜访了,通常他们是不会去拜访新来的住客的。所以你必须去,如果你不去,我们也去不了。“
   “你太多心了我敢保证宾利先生会很高兴见到你;随便我想托你给他捎点话,就说我会保证对他娶了她们中任何一个而衷心祝福他们;不过我必须得为小女儿美言几句。”
   “我但愿你别这么做。利齐没有一点儿地方能胜过她的姐姐吗;而且我肯定她连简的一半漂亮也没有,连莉迪亚的一半幽默感也没有,但你却总是偏爱着她”
   “她们没有一个可以称道的”他说道;“他们全是愚蠢而无知的,和其它姑娘没什么区别;但莉齐在有些事上比她的姐姐们要灵敏多了”
   “班纳特先生,你怎么可以这样糟践自己的女儿,你把你的快乐建立在我的痛苦之上,你一点也不同情我那脆弱的神经。”
    “你错怪我了,亲爱的。我对你那神经还是比较有信心的。它们是我的老朋友了,我已经有20年听你郑重其事的提到它们了。”
    “哈!你并不知道我的感受。”
   “不过我希望你这老毛病能好起来,那么像这种每年四千多英镑的阔少爷,你就可以看着他们一个个搬来做你的邻居了”
   “又有什么用呢,就算来了20个这样的年青人,你不去看他们也是白搭。”
   “毫无疑问,亲爱的,如果真来了20个,我会全部去拜访他们”

IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

``My dear Mr. Bennet,'' said his lady to him one day, ``have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?''

Mr. Bennet replied that he had not.

``But it is,'' returned she; ``for Mrs. Long has just been here, and she told me all about it.''

Mr. Bennet made no answer.

``Do not you want to know who has taken it?'' cried his wife impatiently.

``_You_ want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it.''

This was invitation enough.

``Why, my dear, you must know, Mrs. Long says that Netherfield is taken by a young man of large fortune from the north of England; that he came down on Monday in a chaise and four to see the place, and was so much delighted with it that he agreed with Mr. Morris immediately; that he is to take possession before Michaelmas, and some of his servants are to be in the house by the end of next week.''

``What is his name?''

``Bingley.''

``Is he married or single?''

``Oh! single, my dear, to be sure! A single man of large fortune; four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for our girls!''

``How so? how can it affect them?''

``My dear Mr. Bennet,'' replied his wife, ``how can you be so tiresome! You must know that I am thinking of his marrying one of them.''

``Is that his design in settling here?''

``Design! nonsense, how can you talk so! But it is very likely that he _may_ fall in love with one of them, and therefore you must visit him as soon as he comes.''

``I see no occasion for that. You and the girls may go, or you may send them by themselves, which perhaps will be still better; for, as you are as handsome as any of them, Mr. Bingley might like you the best of the party.''

``My dear, you flatter me. I certainly _have_ had my share of beauty, but I do not pretend to be any thing extraordinary now. When a woman has five grown up daughters, she ought to give over thinking of her own beauty.''

``In such cases, a woman has not often much beauty to think of.''

``But, my dear, you must indeed go and see Mr. Bingley when he comes into the neighbourhood.''

``It is more than I engage for, I assure you.''

``But consider your daughters. Only think what an establishment it would be for one of them. Sir William and Lady Lucas are determined to go, merely on that account, for in general, you know they visit no new comers. Indeed you must go, for it will be impossible for us to visit him, if you do not.''

``You are over-scrupulous, surely. I dare say Mr. Bingley will be very glad to see you; and I will send a few lines by you to assure him of my hearty consent to his marrying which ever he chuses of the girls; though I must throw in a good word for my little Lizzy.''

``I desire you will do no such thing. Lizzy is not a bit better than the others; and I am sure she is not half so handsome as Jane, nor half so good humoured as Lydia. But you are always giving _her_ the preference.''

``They have none of them much to recommend them,'' replied he; ``they are all silly and ignorant like other girls; but Lizzy has something more of quickness than her sisters.''

``Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves.''

``You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.''

``Ah! you do not know what I suffer.''

``But I hope you will get over it, and live to see many young men of four thousand a year come into the neighbourhood.''

``It will be no use to us if twenty such should come, since you will not visit them.''

``Depend upon it, my dear, that when there are twenty I will visit them all.''

Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three and twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. _Her_ mind was less difficult to develope. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented, she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; its solace was visiting and news.

评分人数

oh my god,are those words copied or typed by you?
you are so great!

Chinese is type and English is copy
And thank you for read my article

回复 2# icy_zhu

agree with you

so interesting
thank you

oh, gosh, it's too long

返回列表