听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【VOA慢速教室】 » VOA慢速英语2011.04.21
返回列表 发帖

VOA慢速英语2011.04.21

Americans use many expressions about fish and fishing. For example, if something sounds fishy, it may not be true. Sometimes I feel like a fish out of water when I go to a party and everyone but me is doing the latest dance. When I ask my friend if she likes my new dress, I would like her to say something nice. In other words, I am fishing for a compliment.
You might tell someone to fish or cut bait if he repeatedly attempts to do something he is unable to do.
美国人使用很多和鱼或捕鱼相关的表达。例如,如果什么事情听上去fishy(可疑的),它可能不是真实的。有时当我去参加聚会,除我以外的每个人都在跳最新潮的舞蹈,我感觉就像是a fish out of water(离水的鱼,指格格不入、不自在)。如果我问朋友她是否喜欢我的新衣服,我希望她说点好听的。换句话说,我在fishing for a compliment(寻求恭维)。如果某人一直在重复尝试他力所不能及的事,你可能会告诉他fish or cut bait(当机立断,要么全力以赴,要么放弃)。
Sometimes a lawyer will ask a witness many questions in an effort to discover the facts of a court case. This is called going on a fishing expedition.
有时,一个律师会询问证人很多问题,以求发现案件真想。这被称为going on a fishing expedition(进行盘问摸底)。
Some expressions involve different kinds of fish. Information that is used to draw attention away from the real facts of a situation is called a red herring. If you want to express a feeling of surprise, you might cry "holy mackerel!" although we do not know why a mackerel is holy.
有些表达包含不同种类的鱼。用于转移注意力的信息被称为red herring(题外话)。如果你想表达惊喜,就可以大喊“holy mackerel”。虽然我们不知道为什么鲭鱼神圣的。

thanks for your share

返回列表