听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 交流茶馆 » THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD: Inspirational stories
返回列表 发帖

THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD: Inspirational stories

My husband had gone to Singapore on an office assignment for a year and after a couple of months my daughter, Nichelle (aged 2 years) and I joined him. We were staying as tenants with an elderly lady who was very loving and helpful and treated us like her own family. My daughter loving called her Patti meaning Grandma.

She grew to love my daughter Nichelle very much as she was very talkative and always kept her entertained. Things didn't work out for us there and we returned to India. Nichelle is four now and I have a 6 month old baby girl Samara but we still keep in touch with Patti. Life now has become very hectic since I've resumed office after my maternity leave.

Last week my husband had gone over to my mum's place to pick up Nichelle from her grandma's where she was spending the weekend. I just put Samara to bed and was getting things ready for the week ahead, when the phone rang and I rushed to pick it up. It was Patti from Singapore. She was not too well and informed me that her blood platelet count was falling. She wanted to talk to my husband who is in the pharma line.

On his return home I informed him of her call and he contacted her. She was thrilled to hear Nichelle's voice.

After the conversation, reassurance and goodbyes, my husband disconnected and I said to him, " You always wanted to be a doctor, well here is someone who thinks you are."

"Yes", he said, "this was my unfulfilled dream."
"Maybe one day one of our girls will be doctors" I said.

"A doctor, not me mummy " Nichelle's replied as she was listening to the conversation although busy with her painting.

"Maybe a teacher like Miss Zubeda Ali your class teacher" whom she is very fond of.

"No, not that too, " said Nichelle.

"Or a computer artist ,"chipped in her dad.

"No, you will never guess what I want to be" said Nichelle with a smile on her face.

"What baby," I asked her, "Tell mummy and daddy."

" I just want to be a mother when I grow up, just like you, mummy."

I went up to her and hugged my little girl and she smiled. This was something we least expected to hear.

"Mummy I will cook, clean, give my baby a bath, tell stories, sing songs and do all the things you do for us. "

This week I have been thinking about my little girl's dream to be a mother someday. For the first time I realized the influence I had in the lives of my children and motherhood took on a new meaning for me.

At times I admit, I would get frustrated, and want to give up , just feel like relaxing, with sleepless nights, crying babies, illness, my baby's first days at school, teaching her the difference between right and wrong, household jobs that seem never-ending, rushing to office and making it on time.

At times I felt I could not cope but now everything seems achievable and worthwhile. Yes, I'm thankful to God, my husband and children for the joys of motherhood and also helping me realize more fully the great sacrifices my parents made for me every step of the way, to help me be a better mother today.

To every mother, yours is a vital and important role in shaping the young lives God has entrusted in your care. My 4 year old girl made me realize this.

返回列表