听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » 听新闻学英语:Divorce takes toll on kids' esteem, skills
返回列表 发帖

听新闻学英语:Divorce takes toll on kids' esteem, skills

本帖最后由 xiaomeixin 于 2011-6-3 13:41 编辑

Children of divorced parents often fall behind their classmates in math and social skills and are more likely to suffer anxiety, stress and low self-esteem, according to a new study.

Researcher Hyun Sik Kim, of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said the study showed that the detrimental effects on the children do not start until after the parents begin divorce proceedings.

"People tend to think that couples go through intense marital conflict before the divorce," Kim, a PhD candidate in sociology, said in a statement.

"My original prediction was that children of divorce would experience negative impacts even before formal divorce processes began. But my study finds that this is not the case."

The findings, published in the American Sociological Review, are based on data that tracked the development of 3,585 students from kindergarten through fifth grade to examine the impact before, during and after the divorce.

Kim compared the progress of children whose parents were going through a divorce with youngsters from stable families. He found that developmental problems continued after the divorce.

"This study reveals that these negative impacts do not worsen in the post-divorce stage, although there is no sign that children of divorce catch up with their counterparts, either," Kim said.

He added that math studies were particularly sensitive to impact of divorce.

"Reading is not that cumulative. But with math, you must understand previous things to develop. For example, if I do not understand that one plus one is two, then I cannot understand multiplication."

附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

评分人数

thank you for your sharing.

回复 2# 李武军

Read english news everyday is a very good habit

回复 4# tingroom

Yeah,so I should continue to upload it everyday.But I will take a break on sundays.

回复 5# xiaomeixin

Keep  on sharing. A great thanks to you.

回复 6# 李武军

Ok.

返回列表