听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Return of the Heroes 奥运健将凯旋归来
返回列表 发帖

Return of the Heroes 奥运健将凯旋归来

Members of the British Team received a heroes’ welcome in London after their best Olympic performance for over a century.

Team GB achieved a phenomenal triumph at the Beijing Olympicsbeyond everyone’s wildest dreams, finishing fourth in the medal table with a haul of 19 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze medals.

The athletes were flown home on a private jet decorated with a special ‘gold nose’ in honour of their success.

They were overwhelmed as they stepped off the plane.

Chris Hoy, winner of three gold cycling medals, said: “It’s an incrediblereception. You’re living in a bubble in the Olympic village and it’s only when you land and see quite how many people have turned up you realise – it’s incredible.”

Rebecca Adlington, Britain’s first female Olympic swimming champion for 48 years, added: "Both me and Chris came out here to just try our best to get a medal. Anything else that comes our way is an added bonus. I had my own expectations but it wasn't two gold medals, at all, and a world record."

As the Olympic flag was handed over to London Mayor Boris Johnson, thousands of people gathered outside Buckingham Palace for a party. They were entertained by pop musicians including McFly, The Feeling and Will Young.

The Royal Air Force took the crowd to a high with their trademark aerobatic flypast of white, red and blue smoke.

All eyes are now on London as the 2012 Olympics host city. It would be difficult not to compare Beijing and London, but Mayor Johnson is confident that the capital will deliver.

“We’ll draw on our wit, flair, imagination and ingenuity to build on what we’ve all witnessed in Beijing and deliver a fantabulous Olympics in what I consider to be not only my home, but the home of sport,” he said.

With just four more years to go, the race is now on for London to realise its promises to Olympic fans around the world.

返回列表