听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【BBC教室】 » The Millennium Bridge 千禧桥
返回列表 发帖

The Millennium Bridge 千禧桥

John: June 2000, and London saw the opening of its first pedestrian-only bridge, the Millennium Bridge, between St Paul's Cathedral and the Tate Modern art gallery.

It was quite a day and within minutes hundreds of people had come to see the new bridge and to walk across it.

Oliver: I'm Oliver.

John: And I'm John, and in this edition of On the Town, we're investigating the Millennium Bridge.

Oliver: 千禧桥。

John: It was designed by the architect Lord Norman Foster, and has a very sleek, silvery appearance.

The Millennium Bridge

Oliver: 桥梁的设计者是一名建筑师 an architect. 银色的桥梁呈现出圆滑的造型。 A sleek and silvery appearance.

John: It has a very modern look, and it's also a suspension bridge.

Oliver: 吊桥 a suspension bridge.

Oliver: Now, I hear that there was a problem when the bridge opened to the public in 2000.

John: There was, yes. A big problem!

Oliver: What was it?

John: The bridge wobbled!

Oliver: It wobbled, 桥是晃动的!

John: The day the bridge opened, hundreds of people walked across it and it started to sway in a disconcerting way! It took two years for the bridge to be secured and made rigid.

Oliver: 工程师们不得不给桥梁重新加固 rigid. 两年之后,千禧桥才得以再次向公众开放。接下来我们会听到桥梁设计者、建筑师 Norman Foster 接受BBC采访时的录音。

John: Did the architect find it frustrating that the bridge had to be closed for two years?

Challenging I would say, but of course, if you measure the life of this structure in hundreds of years, it will be around as long as it has a useful life. It's not made of materials which are going to corrode, so if you measure that period that we’re talking about in the wider perspective, it's a blip. A pretty harrowing blip, but a blip.

Lord Norman Foster

John: Lord Norman Foster said it was challenging to have to keep the bridge closed for two years of repairs.

Oliver: 是具有挑战性的 challenging.

John: He said the bridge is not made of materials that are going to corrode.

Oliver: 千禧桥不会被腐蚀 to corrode.

John: So the length of closure is only a blip in the life of the bridge. A blip is a very short period of time.

Oliver: 建筑师说对于将长时间存在的千禧桥来讲,关闭整修的两年是非常短的,仅仅是一个微不足道的小点儿 a blip.

John: Now that the bridge has been made rigid, what do the pedestrians who walk across it think of it?

Man: It's like a carnival, everybody is just talking about the bridge, and the construction and the wind. We’ve not had a wobble yet, it doesn’t feel like jelly.

Girl: It doesn’t wobble anymore.

Older Woman: Well, I'm a bridge freak, and having not seen it before I came down especially to see it, and walking over, I thought it was rather beautiful to look at. It’s a bicycle-friendly, pedestrian-friendly bridge. There is, I'm afraid, in the wind, a slight vibration. But as somebody pointed out to me, if there weren’t a vibration at all we’d have to worry. Walking over it, it looks rather beautiful.

French Man: Well it's absolutely terrific. It’s my last day in London. I've been here in May last year, when it couldn't open, and I couldn't cross it. And today's the last day. Look at that!

Visitors at the Millennium Bridge

John: So now people seem to like the Millennium Bridge. One woman said she was a bridge freak.

Oliver: 那位年纪大的女性说她自己是一个桥梁迷,a bridge freak 意思是说她是一个桥梁爱好者。

John: She said it was bicycle and pedestrian friendly.

Oliver: 方便步行和骑自行车。

John: She felt some light vibration when she was walking on the bridge.

Oliver: 轻微振动 light vibration.

John: But with a suspension bridge there has to be some movement.

Oliver: But not so much that it wobbles!

John: Exactly. Well, we’ll be talking to you about more interesting places in the UK in the next On the Town, so listen out for that.

Oliver: 记住,你可以登陆我们的网页,了解更多信息网址是 www.bbcchina.com.cn, 然后,点击 Learning English.

John: See you next time.

Oliver: Bye.

Millennium is so far from us and we are all 11 years older. We can't live long enough to experience the next Millennium, so just do and cherish.

good

返回列表