听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Sheffield 谢菲尔德
返回列表 发帖

Sheffield 谢菲尔德

Jo: Well I'm very excited about today's On the Town, Oliver.

Oliver: Why, Jo?

Jo: Well we're travelling out of London to the north of England, which is where I come from, Oliver.

Oliver: Wow!

Jo: We're not visiting my home town but in today's BBC Learning English programme we're going to learn all about a city called Sheffield.

In most of the information you look at on big cities in the UK – Sheffield is about the fifth biggest city in the UK.

Oliver: 从面积和人口方面来讲,谢菲尔德是英国第五大城市。

Jo: Now if you like movies, you may have seen a British one called "The Full Monty", which was filmed in Sheffield.

Oliver: 没错儿,电影《一脱到底》是在这里拍摄的,不过谢菲尔德 还有很多出名的事情。比如中国著名的足球运动员郝海东就在这踢球。媒体培训人员 Kate Betts 在谢菲尔德已经居住了15年,让我们听听她介绍谢菲尔德还有什么著名的产业。

Insert

Sheffield is often called the steel city. This is because it's one of the most important places in the world for making steel. The industry really took off about 250 years ago. Connected with that there's tool making, engineering, and the manufacture of cutlery – have a rummage in any kitchen drawer and you'll probably find a knife or fork saying made in Sheffield.

Jo: So Sheffield is famous for steel.

Oliver: 钢铁及钢铁制造,工业。

Jo: The industry really took off about 250 years ago.

Oliver: 钢铁工业在 250 年前一夜之间开始发展起来,与之相关的是。

Jo: Yes, connected with that there's tool making.

Oliver: 工具制造以及工程学。

Jo: Engineering. And the manufacture of cutlery. The manufacture means the making of something.

Oliver: 制造,这个词儿既可以做名词也可以做动词。餐具制造业在谢菲尔德。我们听 Kate 说在餐厅抽屉里到处找。搜寻一下。

Jo: To have a rummage. And drawer.

Oliver: 抽屉。

Jo: Most kitchen drawers in the UK will have a knife or a fork which was made in Sheffield. Here's Kate again.

Insert

Sheffield is often called the steel city. This is because it's one of the most important places in the world for making steel. The industry really took off about 250 years ago. Connected with that there's tool making, engineering, and the manufacture of cutlery – have a rummage in any kitchen drawer and you'll probably find a knife or fork saying made in Sheffield.

Jo: In today's BBC Learning English On the Town programme, we've come to the north of England to learn all about the steel making city of Sheffield.

Oliver: Jo,我比较好奇在谢菲尔德这样一个工业城市生活会是什么样子?

Jo: Well Kate seemed rather surprised when she went to live there. What colour does she use to describe the city here?

Insert

I came to live here about 15 years ago and one thing I noticed is how green the city is. There are something like 2 million trees in the city – that's more trees per person than any other European city and there are dozens and dozens of parks.

Jo: She says when she came to Sheffield, one thing she noticed is how green the city is. And the city is green because there is something like 2 million trees in the city.

Oliver: Something like 是 Kate 表达差不多两百万棵树的方法。That is a lot isn't Jo?

Jo: It certainly sounds like a lot. She says there are more trees per person than any other European city.

Oliver: Wow, 人均拥有树木量超过其它任何一个欧洲城市。 Per 每一 per person 每人。

Jo: And there are dozens and dozens of parks. Now a dozen means 12 – you might buy a dozen eggs at the supermarket.

Oliver: 就是说 dozen 是 12 个什么东西的意思。但是 dozens and dozens 就是表达很多的意思。

Jo: Yes, there are a lot of parks in Sheffield. So Oliver, have you enjoyed your trip out of London?

Oliver: Yes Jo I have. It’s really nice to visit other parts of the UK. 如果想知道下个星期我们的目的地,或者希望提高你的英语水平,别忘了经常浏览我们的网站,网址是 www.bbcchina.com.cn,下面我们会回顾今天节目中提到过的词汇和短语。

Jo: Yes that’s all from BBC Learning English On the Town for today. We'll see you next time.

Oliver: 再见!

Insert

Steel 钢铁 industry 工业 take off 一夜成名 tool 工具 engineering 工程 manufacture 制造 cutlery 餐具 to have a rummage 翻箱倒柜 a drawer 抽屉 per 每一 a dozen 一打

返回列表