听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 阅读提高 » Why potential first ladies must wear black
返回列表 发帖

Why potential first ladies must wear black

For her first official meet-and-greet with New York's fashion industry, Michelle Obama adhered to the cardinal rule of style - she wore all black.

meet-and-greet: 见面会
cardinal: 最重要的, 主要的

At a June 17 fund-raiser in her honor, Obama chose to wear a black ensemble by Isabel Toledo, accented with a striking costume necklace by Tom Binns. The potential first lady arrived promptly to the reception at the Sikkema Jenkins & Co. gallery in Chelsea, minutes after hosts Andre Leon Talley, Anna Wintour, both of Vogue, and Wintour's significant other, Shelby Bryan. Once inside, Talley introduced her to the crowd, which included fashion designers Catherine Malandrino, Erin Fetherston, Cynthia Rowley and Thakoon Panichgul, who had paid either $1,000 or $2,300 to attend. And, according to one source, the crowd was "pumped" by Obama's presence, in spite of the soaring temperatures inside the venue.

ensemble: 全套服装(尤指女装)
according to one source: 据一位消息灵通人士称

A number of designers spoke out in favor of Obama. "I'm excited for Obama becoming president," says Zac Posen, who was wearing a "Yes, we can" T-shirt emblazoned with Barack Obama's face under his suit. "I think it's always great for someone who represents our country to look good, but most important is for the values of our country to be in place."

in place: 适当的, 适合的

Peter Som echoed those sentiments. "I think she's amazing," he said. "Michelle and Barack are hopefully the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. And she's fabulously styled. She seems that she has an amazing sense of self. She has impeccable taste, so she is not going to need any help from anybody else."

impeccable: 极好的, 无瑕疵的

At the reception, Obama spoke for an estimated 20 minutes.
"She is a really good and energetic speaker," says designer Behnaz Sarafpour, who got a chance to meet Obama after her remarks. "In my lifetime, in this country, I have never seen a couple in politics like that. You feel like you can relate to them. There was something very approachable and easy to relate to about her. And I think her fashion style is so refreshing. You just know that if she becomes first lady, she'd be the kind of first lady who would be into fashion and it would be really exciting to watch her and dress her."
Calvin Klein Collection's Francisco Costa concurred. "She is a big star," he said. "It was brilliant. She spoke so well, you got the chills."

concur: 同意, 表示一致意见

Observers said Obama spoke individually to many in the room, seeming unhurried and eager to connect on a personal level rather than simply to smile and shake hands. She repeatedly referenced her husband, telling one guest about a conversation he had had with his family about wanting to visit New York and walk through Central Park.

返回列表