听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【VOA慢速教室】 » VOA慢速英语2011.12.06
返回列表 发帖

VOA慢速英语2011.12.06

One day, an average Joe was walking down the street. An average Joe is a common person – either male or female.  This average Joe was lost. He did not know Jack about where he was going. By this, I mean he did not know anything about where to find things in the city.
有一天,有个人(an average Joe)走在大街上。An average Joe是指一个普通人,不论男女都适用。这个人迷路了。他不知道该怎么走(did not know Jack about)。我的意思是说他不知道在城里怎么找到他想要找的东西。
So average Joe asked John Q. Public for directions to the nearest bank. John Q. Public is also a common person – male or female.
所以他问John Q. Public怎么去最近的银行,John Q. Public也是个普通的人名,男女都适用。

注释:
a cup of Joe 一杯咖啡
an average Joe 指普通人
do not know Jack about 对...一无所知
John Q. Public 指普通人

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Now, the VOA special English program:words and the stories
A person's name is very important, some names also have special meanings in popular American expressions. To better understand what I mean, sit back and listen, you might even want to get a cup of Joe, I mean a cup of coffee.
One day, an average Joe was walking down the street, this average Joa was lost, he did not know Jack about where he was going, by this, I mean he did not know anything about where to find things in the city. So average Joe asked John.Q.Public for derictions to the nearest bank. John.Q.Public is also a common person-male or female.

返回列表