听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 英语四六级 » 学习贴士 —用法讲究
返回列表 发帖

学习贴士 —用法讲究

Learning Tips 4--Usage 用法讲究

My classmate told me that the word of 'such' appeared in the bracket should be revised to 'very’, and he told me that the word of 'such' couldn't link with another adjective.

Yes and no. Your friend is right you cannot say "such few"... you would have to say "such a few," or "such a lot." But you can say "such beautiful flowers," where "such" modifies the adjective "beautiful." Also, "She has been in such pain lately."

In the example you mentioned above, I think one of the problems with using "such" there is SEMANTIC, i.e., the meaning. "Such" and "so" are used to describe the degree of something, similar to the Chinese 那么,那么多车。 That usage would not be logical or idiomatic in the above sentence.

Also, I can't think of any situation right now where we would say "such few"-- we would say "so few."

"Such" can be used as an adverb and as an adjective, but the usage rules are tricky. So much of this needs to simply be memorized.

ADVERB: For example, "I'm surprised that so few people came to the concert." "These are such large cookies; I can't eat a whole one."

ADJECTIVE: For example, "I never dreamed there would be such a wonderful audience."

Snakes are (capable of) graceful (motion) throughout the (entire long) of their rubbery (bodies).

In this example, the correction should be “throughout the entire length” …:

"Motion" can be a count noun AND a MASS/non-countable noun.(like "sugar," "water.") -- meaning that it can have "s" in plural form and can also be used without the plural.

In this case, "motion" is used to describe a QUALITY or STATE of movement. "Action" is a similar word that can be used without the "s"-- "James Bond is a man of action." Here the "action" described is quality of being, and not a series of actions he has performed.

An example of a sentence using "motions": “I watched the motions of the snake from a safe distance and examined the creature."

I found this example by doing a search on Google, and you can see that in this case, the writer is talking about discrete, countable movements and not a state of being.

The difference in usage is subtle, but if you pay close attention, you can learn the rules. Again, a lot of usage is simply frequent exposure and memory.

thank you !
a good job !

返回列表