听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语美文】 » 101个一生不必去的地方 101 Places Not to See Before You Die
返回列表 发帖

101个一生不必去的地方 101 Places Not to See Before You Die

本帖最后由 kobe 于 2012-3-3 23:03 编辑

101 Places Not to See Before You Die

101个一生不必去的地方

古老的遗址、神秘的城堡、迷人的湖泊、舒适的旅馆、广阔的野生动物保护区、原生态的山顶小村庄、风情万种的热带岛屿、壮观的大教堂、华丽的歌剧院……翠西娅·舒茨历经七年的时间,走遍七大洲、四大洋,完成了一部环游世界的贴身旅游手册《一生不可错过的1000个地方》,给世界各地的游客们描绘了一幅幅令人神往的画卷。
  与此同时,凯瑟琳·普莱斯也开始了她的创作之旅,同样是以环球旅行为主题,但她写下的是《101个一生不必去的地方》。当然,对于旅游景点的感观见仁见智,一些糟糕的细节说不定在别人眼里却是无穷乐趣呢!
  选段的语速较快,小编建议大家先泛听2—3遍,归纳文中大意,再通读全文。

★ Karosta Cietums (卡罗斯塔监狱)
  监狱坐落于拉脱维亚列帕雅,建于十九世纪末,已有逾百年历史。二次大战时,德军曾在此处罚逃兵。游客可选择在狱中度过一个晚上或周末,但在进入卡罗斯塔监狱前,须签订一份文件,表明同意让狱卒虐待。

Renee Montagne (Host): The pyramids of Egypt, the 1)Cherry Blossom Festival in Japan, the Taj Mahal—all must-visit wonders found in travel guides like A Thousand Places to See Before You Die. Okay, so what about Garbage City outside of Cairo, or the annual Poison Oak Show in Columbia, California? These destinations are 2)chronicled in a new guide, called 101 Places Not to See Before You Die.
  勒妮·蒙塔捏(主持人):埃及金字塔、日本樱花节、泰姬陵——这些不得不去的名胜在诸如《一生不可错过的1000个地方》一类的旅游指南上可以看到。那么,开罗城外的垃圾之城,还有加州每年一度的哥伦比亚毒橡展呢?这些旅游点被记录在一本叫做《101个一生不必去的地方》的新指南上。

Ms. Catherine Price (Author of 101 Places Not to See Before You Die): I wanted to create a kind of get-off-the-hook list for people like me who see a list and feel like they have to do everything on it. So this is a book where you don't have to do everything. And some things on it, you couldn't do even if you wanted to try.
  凯瑟琳·普莱斯女士(《101个一生不必去的地方》作者):我想要列一份名录,帮助那些和我一样看到一份名录就觉得上面的一切都值得一试的人们,摆脱这样的苦恼。因此这是一本告诉你不必要去做什么的书,其中提到的一些事,就算你想过要尝试也别去做。
  Montagne: Catherine Price has written for the New York Times and Salon. Now, she's 3)conjured up 101 places that should be 4)scratched off everybody's bucket list. It seems to be these things not to do fall, to some degree, into categories. And one of those might be odd places to sleep. Tell us about what are the worst places to sleep.
  蒙塔捏:凯瑟琳·普莱斯曾经为《纽约时报》和《沙龙》撰稿。现在,她想起有101个地方应该从每个人的旅游清单中删除掉。似乎有些地方在某种程度上来说并不归于旅游景点,其中就有一些是很糟糕的住宿地。那么,告诉我们最糟糕的住宿地有哪些吧。
  Ms. Price: Well, I guess I had a couple on the list. But one that springs to mind is just the general concept of any hotel that used to be a prison. And there's one of those in Latvia. Karosta Cietums is the 5)phonetic pronunciation. And it's basically this former Soviet-era prison in Latvia that now has been opened up as a hotel.
  普莱斯女士:我想我的书上有一些。但是立即浮现在我脑海中的,是那种以监狱旧址为概念而开设的酒店。在拉脱维亚就有一个,音译过来是卡罗斯塔监狱,这根本就是前苏联时代的拉脱维亚监狱,现在却以酒店的模样开放了。

And it's not like they took the prison and then tried to like, spice it up and make it into a luxury 6)resort. They basically market it on the idea that 150 people were shot there, and you can sleep on iron bed and you can put your kids in a prison 7)bunk bed for the night.
  他们不是采用的监狱的旧址然后装修成为豪华度假村。他们根本就是以此为卖点:150人曾在此被枪毙、你可以睡在铁床上,还可以让你的孩子在监狱双层床上过夜。
附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

★ Third Infiltration Tunnel (第三南侵隧道)
  这些秘密的地下通道,据说是当初朝鲜为准备向韩国发起大规模军事攻击而建。如今,地道变成了旅游景点,冠名为“第三隧道”,成了赚取外汇的主要地段。

Montagne: Well, there's another place that could be a similar experience, and that is the Third 8)Infiltration 9)Tunnel at the 10)DMZ—that would be the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea. Why don't you tell us about this site?
  蒙塔捏:还有一个地方与这个很类似,那就是在非军事区的第三南侵隧道——我说的是朝鲜和韩国边境上的非军事区。跟我们聊聊这个吧?
  Ms. Price: Sure. That was actually a really interesting experience. I was doing a project in Korea, and I had the opportunity to visit the DMZ. And I would have thought this was like a Berlin Wall-type thing, but it's actually more of a sidewalk 11)curb dividing North and South Korea. And then there's soldiers on either side just staring at each other.
  普莱斯女士:好的。事实上那是段很有趣的经历。我正在韩国做一个项目,因而有机会游览非军事区。我原以为这会是个类似柏林墙一样的地方,但实际上这里是划分朝鲜和韩国的分界线。两边都有士兵把守,目不转睛地盯着对方。

But what happens on the tour is that you put all your stuff into a 12)cubby, and they give you this 13)helmet, and then they put you on this little train. And if you're like me, you're kind of like 14)lulled into 15)complacency because it kind of seems like a Disneyland ride. And then all of a sudden, with no explanation, they take you down into this narrow, 16)claustrophobic tunnel 17)blasted into solid rock that the North Koreans had blasted.
  但是在旅程中,当你把所有东西都放到房间之后,他们会给你一个头盔,然后带你去坐这种小火车。要是你像我一样,你就会有点麻痹自满,因为这看上去有点像是在迪士尼乐园畅游。突然间,无缘无故地,他们就把你带下这个又窄又幽闭恐怖的隧道,这个隧道曾经被朝鲜炸得满是石块。
  ★Seattle Gum Wall (西雅图口香糖墙)
  这面位于西雅图市场剧院外的巨墙,名列世界细菌最多的五大景点中的第二位。在上个世纪90年代,旅行者们开始在排队等候的时候把他们嚼过的口香糖粘在这面墙上,十多年来形成了一道五彩缤纷但有点让人反胃的独特风景。

Montagne: There's also the Seattle Gum Wall, which is apparently visited by quite a few people on a regular basis. But in fact, it's a place you would say don't go.
  蒙塔捏:还有西雅图的口香糖墙,经常有很多人去参观。但说实在的,这个地方你一定也会说“别去”。
  Ms. Price: I think I would genuinely say, don't bother with the Seattle Gum Wall before you die. I think that I don't even need to give any qualifications there. I mean, it's exactly what it sounds like. It's a wall where people have put gum. I don't know. If I'm sitting in the movie and I feel under the seat, and I touch a piece chewed gum, my response is not, “Wow! I really wish I could see a whole wall of more of that. ” Yeah, I don't think it's really necessary to visit.
  普莱斯女士:我想我会很坦诚地说,这一辈子也别去碰西雅图的口香糖墙。我想我也没必要再给大家证明什么了。我的意思是,它名副其实,沾满了人们嚼过吐弃的口香糖。我不知道说什么好。如果我在看电影,在椅子下碰到一块嚼过的口香糖,我的反应不会是“哇!我真想去看看那整面口香糖墙。”的确是这样,我不认为这地方值得去游览。

★Blarney Stone (巧言石)
  在爱尔兰小镇布拉尼,有座建于15世纪的布拉尼城堡,是爱尔兰历史最悠久的城堡之一,这里最为世人所熟知的就是城堡内的巧言石。传说只要吻过这块“巧言石”便会能言善辩,滔滔不绝。

Montagne: We're talking to Catherine Price about her book, 101 Places Not to See Before You Die. Now, I gather you got in trouble—at least about one of these destinations—and that's the 18)Blarney Stone in Ireland.
  蒙塔捏:我们正在谈论的是凯瑟琳·普莱斯的书《101个一生不必去的地方》。现在,我要给你出难题了——但至少是关于其中的一个旅游点的——来说说爱尔兰的巧言石吧。

Ms. Price: Oh, yeah. I got into big trouble for that. I'm also in trouble with Nevada because I included the entire state. But...but for the Blarney Stone, when I hear about a destination whose main attraction is giving you the chance to kiss a piece of stone that's been kissed by hundreds of thousands of people, that is not something that I personally need to do.
  普莱斯女士:哦,是的,这个确实饱受争议。同样的还有内达华州,因为我把整个州都写进去了。但……但是对于巧言石,当我听说这个景点最吸引人的地方就是你有机会去亲吻一块成千上万的游客都亲吻过的石头的时候,我就不是很想去了。

But as you can imagine, the tourist board—and in particular, the marketing department of the Blarney Stone—was not really excited to hear that that was on the list.
  但正如你想象的那样,观光委员会——尤其是巧言石的市场部——听到巧言石在此清单上的时候是绝对不会兴奋到哪去的。

I actually had a very sweet exchange with the woman in charge. And she would like me—and therefore, all of our listeners—to know that you can actually request a special cleaning of the stone before you kiss it, if you would like.
  事实上,我与(巧言石的)女负责人有过一次愉快的交谈。她告诉我——因此,也告诉了我们所有的听众朋友——在你亲吻之前,你可以提出要求,对这块石头做一个特别的清理,如果你愿意的话。

回复 3# kobe

这个播放器是不是不能播放的呀。

回复 5# tingroom

可能是那里的链接问题~

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

返回列表