听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 【每日英语故事9月2日】——藏有亿万美元秘密的男孩
返回列表 发帖

【每日英语故事9月2日】——藏有亿万美元秘密的男孩

One day in 1965, when I was a librarian at View Ridge School in Seattle ,a fourth-grade teacher approached me.She had a student who finished his work before all the othersand needed a challenge. Could he help in the library?she asked.I said, Send him along.

Soon a slight, sandy-haired boy in jeans and a T-shirt appeared.

I told him about the Dewey Decimal System for shelving books.He picked up the idea immediately.Then I showed him a stack of cards for long-overdue booksthat I was beginning to think had actually been returnedbut were miss-shelved with the wrong cards in them.He said, Is it kind of a detective job?I answered yes. And he became an unrelenting sleuth.

He had found three books with wrong cardsby the time his teacher opened the door and announced,Time for recess!He argued for finishing the job;she made the case for fresh air. She won.

The next morning, he arrived early.I wanted to finish finding those books,he said.At the end of the day, when he asked to be a librarian on a regular basis,it was easy to say yes. He worked untiringly.

After a few weeks I found a note on my desk,inviting me to dinner at the boys home.At the end of a pleasant evening, his mother announcedthat the family would be moving to the adjoining school district.Her sons first concern, she said, was leaving the View Ridge library.Who will find the lost books?he asked.

When the time came, I said a reluctant good-bye.Though initially he had seemed an ordinary kid, his zeal had set him apart.

I missed him, but not for long.A few days later he popped in the door and joyfully announced,The librarian over there doesnt let boys work in the library.My mother got me transferred back to View Ridge.My dad will drop me off on his way to work.And if he cant Ill walk.

I should have had an inkling such focused determination would take that young man wherever he wanted to go.What I could not have guessed, however,was that he would become a wizard of the Information Age:Bill Gates, tycoon of Microsoft and Americas richest man.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Oh! Let me check my translation

看不懂呢

评分人数

• jane019

看起来好困难

评分人数

• jane019

difficult

评分人数

• jane019

回复 2# kobe

Maybe i just get the main idea.But is it really difficult?

intersting

i don't understand . but thank you

回复 8# chenxihe

It's my pleasure.

感谢论坛

感谢论坛

返回列表