听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语新闻】 » Facebook将允许用户自定义性别信息
返回列表 发帖

Facebook将允许用户自定义性别信息

Facebook has announced that it will allow users to customise their gender, after consulting on the subject with gay and transgender advocacy groups.

Facebook宣布,在向同性恋与变性人组织咨询之后,决定允许用户自己定制性别信息。

The 50-odd options, which include "bi-gender", "transgender", "androgynous(雌雄同体的)" and "transsexual", will allow people "to express themselves in an authentic way", Facebook said in a post.

Users can also choose whether to be referred to as "he", "she" or "they".

The new options will initially only be for those using the site in US English.

The new options were formulated after consultations with five leading gay and transgender rights' organisations, Facebook says.

"There's going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to mean nothing, but for the few it does impact, it means the world," Facebook engineer Brielle Harrison told the Associated Press.

"For the first time I get to go to the site and I get to specify to all the people that I know what my gender is and I can let only the people that I want to know, see that," she said.

The move reflects the growing influence of the transgender rights movement in the US, which is demanding similar civil rights to the gay community, says the BBC's Alistair Leithead in Los Angeles.

The San Francisco-based Transgender Law Center welcomed the move, saying "many transgender people will be thrilled" at the news.

One estimate in a report by the Williams Institute think tank in 2011 said that an estimated 0.3% of adults in the US were transgender, almost 700,000 people.

更多英语新闻

返回列表