听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 7月31日英语故事:A Fib and the Matinee(Part A)
返回列表 发帖

7月31日英语故事:A Fib and the Matinee(Part A)

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

I was six years old and my sister, Sally Kay, was a submissive three.① For some reason, I thought we needed to earn some money. I decided we should “hire out” as maids. We visited the neighbors, offering to clean house for them for a quarter.

Reasonable as our offer was, there were no takers. But one neighbor telephoned Mother to let her know what Mary Alice and Sally Kay were doing. Mother had just hung up the phone when we came bursting through the back door, into the kitchen of our apartment.“Girls,”Mother asked, “ Why were you two going around the neighborhood telling people you would clean their hourses?”
Mother wasn’t angry with us. In fact, we learned afterwards, she was amused that we had come up wih such an idea. But, for some reason, we both denied having done any such thing. ② Shocked and terribly hurt that her dear little girls could be such “bold-faced liars,”  Mother then told us that Mrs.Jones had just called to tell her we had been to her house and said we would clean it for a quarter.

Faced with the Truth, we admitted what we had done. Mother said that we had “fibbed.” We had not told the Truth. She was sure that we knew better. She tried to explain why a fib hurt but she didn’t feel that we really understood.

Years later, she told us that the “lesson” she came up with for trying to teach us to be truthful would probably have been frowned upon by child psychologists. The idea came to her in a flash… and our tender-hearted mother told us it was the most difficult lesson she ever taught us. It was a lesson we never forgot.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

1.由于某些原因,我想我们需要赚钱。我决定可以“女佣出租”的形式来做。我们拜访了邻居,并为他们提供清洁房子的四分之一的服务。
2.当她听到她的孩子们竟然是“厚颜无耻”的说谎者时,她感到非常吃惊,受到伤害。

评分人数

• 星期一

① For some reason, I thought we needed to earn some money. I decided we should “hire out” as maids. We visited the neighbors, offering to clean house for them for a quarter.
处于某种原因,我想我们需要挣些钱。于是我决定将我俩化身为“出租女佣”。我们拜访了附近的邻居,向他们推销自己,并承诺可为他们打扫屋子一个季度。
② Shocked and terribly hurt that her dear little girls could be such “bold-faced liars,”

两个可爱的小女孩居然能这么“厚颜无耻”地说谎,这令他们的母亲感到十分震惊,她深深地受到了伤害。

评分人数

• 星期一

1、因为某些原因,我认为我们需要赚钱,我决定我们应该把自己当做女仆一样“出租”。我们拜访了我们的邻居,为他们清理房间以赚取25分钱。
2、母亲没有想到自己那两个可爱的小女孩竟然会变成“厚颜无耻的骗子”,这让她受到了震惊并深深伤害了她。

评分人数

• 星期一

返回列表