听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 8月11日英语故事:Too Dear for the Whistle
返回列表 发帖

8月11日英语故事:Too Dear for the Whistle

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

When I was a child of seven years old, my friends, on a holiday, filled my pocket with coppers. I went at once to a shop where they sold toys for children. Being charmed with the sound of a whistle that I had seen by the way, in the hands of another boy, I handed over all my money for one. I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family. My brothers and sisters and cousins, when I told of the bargain I had made, said I had given four times as much as the whistle was worth. They put me in mind of what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money, and laughed at me so much for my folly that I cried with vexation. Thinking about the matter gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure.

This, however, was afterwards of use to me, for the impression continued on my mind, so that often, when I was tempted to buy something I did not need, I said to myself, "Don't give too much for the whistle," and I saved my money. As I grew up, came into the world, and observed the actions of men, I thought I met with many, very many, who "gave too much for the whistle".

If I knew a miser who gave up every kind of comfortable living, all the pleasure of doing good to others, all the esteem of his fellow citizens and the joys of friendship, for the sake of gathering and keeping wealth—"oor man," said I, "you pay too dear for your whistle." When I met a man of pleasure, who did not try to improve his mind or his fortune but merely devoted himself to having a good time, perhaps neglecting his health, "Mistaken man," said I, "you are providing pain for yourself, instead of pleasure; you are paying too dear for your whistle." If I saw someone fond of appearance who had fine clothes, fine houses, fine furniture, fine earrings, all above his fortune, and for which he had run into debt, "Alas," said I, "he has paid dear, very dear, for his whistle." In short the miseries of mankind are largely due to their putting a false value on things—to giving "too much for their whistles".

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

如果一个守财奴仅仅为了钱,他放弃了各种舒适的生活以及乐于助人品格,失去了他人的尊重和友谊, 我会对他说:“可怜的人,你买了一个昂贵的哨子."

评分人数

• 星期一

如果一个守财奴为了变得更加富有,而放弃了舒适的生活  放弃了帮助别人得到的快乐   放弃了别人的尊重以及友情  那么我会对他说  "嗨 你为你的哨子付出太多了"

评分人数

• 星期一

如果知道一个守财奴为了聚拢和维持财富,而放弃了各种安适的生活.所有助人而带来的快乐,所有同伴的尊敬和友谊带来的愉悦——"局外人,”我会说,“你为你的笛子付出了太多......”

评分人数

• 星期一

却放弃了......,放弃了......,放弃了......,放弃了......这样增强了语气哈,我怎么没想到呢?
oor man要翻译为“可怜的家伙”啊,我想多了...

如果一个守财奴放弃了舒适生活,放弃去做使别人快乐的事情,放弃自尊和友谊,是为收集和保存财富。“穷人” 我说 “你为你的哨子付出的太多”

评分人数

• 星期一

profound

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

money isn't everything.we need love,firends,happiess,etc..

如果我知道一个守财奴为了聚敛财富而放弃各种舒适的生活,放弃助人为乐的愉悦,放弃他子民对他的尊重以及各种友谊的乐趣,我会对他说:“可怜的人,你为了你的哨子付出了太多”

评分人数

• zora

当我得知一个人为了攒下并且守住他的财富而放弃了舒适的生活,放弃了帮助别人的乐趣,放弃了周围的人对他的尊敬,放弃了友谊带来的愉悦,我会对他说:“可怜的人,你为你的哨子付出太多了”

评分人数

• zora

返回列表