听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 休闲乐园 » 精品文摘:I Believe In you 我信任你们
返回列表 发帖

精品文摘:I Believe In you 我信任你们

U.S.Former Vice President Al Gore At The 1994 Harvard University Commencement

M.C.:Twenty-five years ago, vice President Al Gore received a degree in Government, with Honors, from Harvard College.Today he returns as the first incumbent Vice President of the United states to be a Harvard commencement speaker and the recipient of an honorary degree.It is a very great honor to introduce Vlce President,Al Gore.

Al Gore: Thank you, thank you.Thank you very much, Sharon Ganyon, President NeiI Rudenstein and Angelica Rudenstein, members of the Harvard corporation board and board of overseas, faculty, students, alumni, distinguished guests.Before we begin I would like to bring your attention to a small item on the inside cover of the June 4th issue of the Boston Globe magazine.Correction:“The May 29th cover story on Vice President Al Gore suggested he is funny. He is not. The Globe regrets the error,”I'm used to that.It's no secret that l ran for President in l988 although it seemed like one at the time。It was a character building experience, I learned a lot of new jokes." Al Gore is so boring! His secret service code name is Al Gore." "If you use as strobe light, it looks like Al Gore is moving." "Al Gore is so stiff racks by the suits of him." "Al Gore is an inspiration to the millions of Americans who suffer from Dutchelm disease." "How can you tell Al Gore from a room full of Secret Service agents?He is the stiff one." I heard most of them, but every hme I hear a new one I always have the same reaction:“Very funny, Tipper." In order to escape that demeaning ridicule and reclaim my dignity,I decided to run for Vice President“the USA. It has been an interesting experience, one which has not taken me entirely away from the Senate.You may have noticed that I've had a chance to vote a few times in the last sixteen months. The experience has made me a more optimistic person because I've noticed the pattern that the news media has almost completely missed but if you watch on C-Span you will find this pattern holds : every time I vote, we win.It works like a charm。

A Harvard commencement is a special occasion.How could anyone not have been thrilled by this morning's assembly? 25,000 people packed in the Harvard yard to celebrate one of the great occasions of life.I loved it all, and I love this great gathering again and I've especially enjoyed my 25th reunion。I'm so proud of my class of l969! We're the ones who beat Yale by a tight score, if you remember!

I believe in you, all of you here, individually and as a group. The cynics say you are motivated principally by greed and that ultimate1y you will care for nothing other than yourselves.But the cynics are wrong. You care about each other, you cherish freedom, you treasure justice, you seek truth. And finally, I believe in America.Cynics will say we've lost our ways that the American century is at its end. But again, the cynics are wrong.Ainerica is stiIl the model to which the world aspires. Almost everywhere in the world the values that the US has proclaimed, defended ,and tried to live are now rising.In the end we face a fundamental chice: cynicism or faith, each equally capable of taking root in our souls and shaping our lives as self fulfilling prophecies.I believe we must open our hearts to each other and build on all the vast and creative possibilities of America.This is a task for a confident people, which is what we have been throughout our history and what we still are in our deepest character.I believe in our future.
美国前副总统阿尔.戈尔在1994年哈佛大学毕业典礼上的演讲

主持人:25年前,副总统阿尔?戈尔获哈佛大学授予的行政管理学位证书和优等生荣誉证书。今天,作为美国第一位在职副总统,戈尔回到母校--哈佛大学,在毕业典礼上演讲,并接受荣誉。让我们热烈欢迎副总统阿尔?戈尔。

阿尔?戈尔:谢谢,谢谢。非常感谢你们,沙伦?甘扬,尼尔?罗登斯但校长和安杰莉卡?罗登斯但,哈佛集团的全体成员以及海外公司的全体成员,老师们,同学们,女士们,尊敬的来宾们。在我演讲之前,我想 提请大家注意六月四日波士顿《全球》杂志的内页上的一条短讯:更正:“关于副总统阿尔? 戈尔的五月二十九日封面人物故 事中提到他十分幽默。他并不是这样。《全球》杂志特此更正并致歉。”我对这样的事情已习以为常。众所周知1988年我竟竞选过总统,尽管当时看起来的确像这么回事。这是一种性格磨炼,从中我知道不少笑话。“阿尔?戈尔太乏味了!他的私人服务姓名代码仍是阿尔?戈尔。”“如果你用闪烁的霓虹灯,看起来就像是阿尔? 戈尔来了。”“阿尔?戈尔太呆板了,穿上西装活像个衣架。”“阿 尔?戈尔鼓舞了数百万美国荷兰 病患者。”“你知道怎样从一屋子 要求私人服务的顾客中辨出阿 尔?戈尔?就是那个呆板的家伙。”我听过许多这种笑话。但每次听到一个新笑话,我总是有着同样的反应:“太有趣了,够味。”为了逃避那些有损形象 的嘲弄和维护自己的尊严,我决定竞选美国副总统,这是一次有趣的经历,并没使我完全脱离参议院。诸位也许注意到,在最后十六个月内,我曾 有过一个机会投几次票。这次经验使我成了一个更乐观的人,因为我注意到新闻界几乎 完全忽略的一个模式,但如果你仔细地观看“C时段”节目, 你就会发现这个模式的作用: 每次我投票,我们都会赢。就像施了魔法。

哈佛大学的毕业典礼是一个特别的时刻。有谁不会 为今早的集会感到激动呢?两万五千人聚集在哈佛广场上来庆祝生命中的盛大时刻之一。我喜欢它,非常喜欢这次集会,非常高兴能第25次参加校友会。我为我们1969年的那个班级感到自豪!还记得吗,我们以微小的比分之差击败了耶鲁。

我相信你们,这里的每一个人,无论是个人还是作为一个整体。愤世嫉俗者称,你们主要被贪欲所驱使,最终你们除了自己以外对什么都会漠不关心。但他们错了。你们相互关心,你们珍惜自由,你们崇尚公正,你们追求真理。然而最终,我相信美国。愤世嫉俗者会 说,我们迷失了自己的方向,美国时代已一去不复返。但他们又错了。美国仍是世界所瞩目的典范,几乎世界的每一个角落,美国所声称捍卫的和生存着的价值观都在为越来越多的人所接 受。最终我们将面临一项重要的抉择:犬儒主义还是信仰,二者都能在我们的灵魂中扎根,并像一个自我预言的实现一样来塑造我们的生活。我相信我 们必须对他人开启我们的心灵,并依赖于美国的巨大的富于创造力的可能性。我们在自 己书写的历史上充当的角色,在心灵深处我们仍然所充当的角色,这是一个充满信心的民族的任务。我相信我们的未来。

返回列表