听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 8月23日英语故事:honesty is one of the greatest gifts
返回列表 发帖

8月23日英语故事:honesty is one of the greatest gifts

本帖最后由 zora 于 2010-8-23 09:34 编辑

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

I believe honesty is one of the greatest gifts there is. I know they call it a lot of fancy names these days, like integrity and forthrightness. 1.But it doesn't make any difference what they call it; it's still what makes a man a good citizen. This is my code, and I try to live by.
       I've been in the taxicab business for thirty-five years, and I know there is a lot about it that is not so good. Taxicab drivers have to be rough and tumble fellows to be able to take it in New York. You've got to be tough to fight the New York traffic eight hours a day, these days. Because taxi drivers are tough, people get the wrong impression that they are bad. Taxi drivers are just like other people. Most of them will shake down as honest fellows. You read in the papers almost every week where a taxi driver turns in money or jewels or bonds, stuff like that, people leave in their cabs. If they weren't honest, you wouldn't be reading those stories in the papers.
        One time in Brooklyn, I found an emerald ring in my cab. I remembered helping a lady with a lot of bundles that day, so I went back to where I had dropped her off. It took me almost two days to trace her down in order to return her ring to her. 2.I didn't get as much as “thank you.” Still, I felt good because I had done what was right. I think I felt better than she did.
       I was born and raised in Ireland and lived there until I was nineteen years old. I came to this country in 1913 where I held several jobs to earn a few dollars before enlisting in World War Number I. After being discharged, I bought my own cab and have owned one ever since. It hasn't been too easy at times, but my wife takes care of our money and we have a good bit put away for a rainy day.
       When I first started driving a cab, Park Avenue was mostly a bunch of coal yards. Hoofer's Brewery was right next to where the Waldorf-Astoria is now. I did pretty well, even in those days.
         In all my years of driving a taxicab, I have never had any trouble with the public, not even with drunks. Even if they get a little headstrong once in a while, I just agree with them and then they behave themselves.
        People ask me about tips. As far as I know, practically everyone will give you something. Come to think of it, most Americans are pretty generous. I always try to be nice to everyone, whether they tip or not. I believe in God and try to be a good member of my parish. 3.I try to act toward others like I think God wants me to act. I have been trying this for a long time, and the longer I try, the easier it gets.
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

1无论诚实叫什么,她都使人成为一个好人,这是我的准则,我尽力遵守它。
2.我并没有得到比“谢谢你”更多的东西,但是我感觉很好,因为我做了一件正确的事情。我想我做到的比她做的感觉更好。
3我试着去做我认为上帝希望我做的那样去对待他人,我试着这样做很长时间,时间越长,越容易做到。

评分人数

• zora

But it doesn't make any difference what they call it; it's still what makes a man a good citizen. This is my code, and I try to live by.
但是这都没有区别无论它叫什么。它仍使人成为一个好的公民。这是我的准则,并且我尽力遵守它。
I didn't get as much as “thank you.” Still, I felt good because I had done what was right. I think I felt better than she did.
我没有获得比“谢谢”更多的东西。但我仍感到高兴因为我做了正确的事。我认为我做的比她好。
I try to act toward others like I think God wants me to act. I have been trying this for a long time, and the longer I try, the easier it gets
我尝试着去在别人面前表演我认为上帝希望我去表演的样子。我做这件事用了很长时间,并且我做的越长,越容易做到。

评分人数

• zora

1、但无论它被称作什么都没有任何关系,它仍然能够使人变成良好市民,这是我试图以之为生的人生准则。
2、我并由得到足够多的感谢之词,但我仍然感觉很好,因为我觉得自己做得很对。我觉得我会比那位女士的感觉更为良好。
3、我尝试着诚恳地对待每个人就好像上帝希望我做得那样。我已经尝试着去实践这条准则很久了,而且我发现,我尝试得越多,我越容易将之付诸实践。

评分人数

• zora

学习学习

1.人们对诚实称呼的不同并没有改变它,它依然是使一个人成为好公民的因素。诚实是我生活的准则,我尽力遵循它。
2.我并没有得到很多的感谢,但我仍然很开心,因为我做的是正确的。我对自己的感觉比她还要好。
3.我尽力用我认为上帝想要我对他人的方式对待他人。我已经尽力这样做好长时间了,且做的时间越久,越容易做到。