听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 托福 » 托福范文:运气在成功中的作用(11)
返回列表 发帖

托福范文:运气在成功中的作用(11)

【题目】
"When people succeed, it is because of hard work. Luck has nothing to do with success." Do you agree or disagree with the quotation above? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

【范文】 The Role of Luck in Success

It has been said that when people succeed, it is because of hard work and that luck has nothing to do with success. Although I believe that hard work is very important and is the surest way to success for most people, I must disagree with this statement. It cannot be denied that luck often plays an important role in success. For example, many important discoveries have been made by accident. There have been many cases of researchers and inventors making major breakthroughs while they were actually trying to solve another problem or create a different device. Furthermore, there is something to be said for simply being in the right place at the right time-perhaps meeting someone by chance who can offer a good job or rare opportunity. And of course, there are the rare examples of gamblers and lottery winners who beat the odds and achieve sudden and unexpected success.

While the influence of luck cannot be ignored, this is not to say that one should depend on it and ignore the value of hard work. If one is willing to work hard, I believe that success will eventually be achieved, with or without the added benefit of luck. Moreover, hard work is often an essential ingredient of luck because it enables one to take advantage of a lucky encounter. If the scientist has not worked hard to develop his knowledge and skills, he may not recognize that lucky breakthrough when it comes along. Therefore, my suggestion is not to count on luck to bring you success. Instead, work hard and keep your eyes open for that lucky opportunity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
参考译文:运气在成功里所扮演的角色

有人说一个人会成功是因为努力,而运气和成功则是一点关系也没有。虽然我相信努力很重要,而且对大部分的人来说,努力是成功最可靠的方法,可是我不得不反对这种说法。能否成功,运气扮演着一个很重要的角色,这是不可否认的事实。例如,很多重要的发现都是在偶然情况下发生的。有很多实例表明,有重大突破的研究人员和发明家,原本是要试图解决其他问题或是发明别的仪器。而且,仅仅是天时地利这方面也有一些关系--也许是偶然碰到能提供好的工作和珍贵机会的人。当然也有极少数赌徒和彩票得主得到突如其来、意想不到的成功。

尽管运气的影响力不容忽视,但也不表示人就应该完全靠运气,而忽视努力的价值。如果一个人愿意努力,不论有没有运气额外的帮助,我相信终究还是会成功。此外,因为努力能让人充分利用幸运的机会,所以努力通常也是运气的必要因素。如果科学家没有努力培养自己的知识和技巧,那么当某个幸运的突破出现时,他可能也看不出来。因此,我建议大家不要指望运气能带来成功。相反地,应该努力,并随时注意不要错过任何好机会。

【注释】      
breakthrough n.突破   furthermore adv.此外
rare adj.罕见的    gambler n.赌徒  

托福范文:为什么要参观博物馆(12)

【题目】
Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

【范文】 Why People Visit Museums?

Museums are great repositories of mankind’s historical artifacts and achievements in art. From them we can learn a great deal about the people of the past and their link to the people of the present. We can also learn about cultures other than our own. I believe this last advantage is the main reason many people visit museums when they travel.

When someone chooses to visit a new place, he often does so because he is interested in seeing a different environment and a different way of life. To gain a better understanding of this new culture, many travelers will go to a history or cultural museum. Even those who never visit museums at home may be inspired by the new sights around them and want to find out more. Other people choose to visit museums abroad insgroupsto see things that they cannot see at home. They may have read of famous works of art and look forward to the chance to see them with their own eyes. Still others may have a specific interest, such as butterflies or eighteenth century furniture. It is not possible for every community to support a museum devoted to every field of study, but travelers can take advantage of the opportunity to pursue their interests.

No matter why one travels, the journey often offers the opportunity to visit a new museum. It is an activity that will provide the traveler with a better understanding of the world, no matter what his specific interest is. That is why I think most people choose to visit museums when they travel to a new place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
参考译文:人们为什么要参观博物馆?
博物馆是人类历史文物及艺术成就的伟大宝库。我们可以从中了解到很多与过去的人们有关的事以及他们与现代人之间的关联。我们也可以从中了解其他不同的文化。我认为最后这项优点是许多人旅行时会去参观博物馆的主要原因。

人们选择游览一个新的地方是因为他们对不同的环境以及不同的生活方式感兴趣。为了更加了解这个新的文化,许多游客会去参观历史或文化博物馆。即使是在国内从不去参观博物馆的人,也可能会受到周围景物的启发而想要发掘更多东西。有些人在国外选择参观博物馆是为了要看国内所看不到的东西。他们可能已经阅读过一些著名艺术作品的资料而期待这个可以亲眼目睹的机会。还有些人可能对某些事物有特定的兴趣,如蝴蝶或18世纪的家具。可是并非每个地区都能资助与每一种学术领域有关的博物馆,所以游客就可以利用这个机会去追求自己的兴趣。

无论一个人为了什么而去旅行,旅行常能提供参观新博物馆的机会。这项活动能让旅行者更加了解世界,不管他的特殊兴趣是什么。这就是我认为为什么大部分人到新的地方旅行都会选择参观博物馆的原因。

【注释】
repository n.宝库  artifact n.手工艺品
inspire v.启发   abroad adv.在国外
read of读到;获悉 work of art艺术品

托福范文:养成存钱习惯的好处(13)

【题目】
  Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your money for some time in the future? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

【范文】The Advantages of Saving Money
  Everyone must work to live, but many people are fortunate enough to make more money than they immediately need. What should they do with this extra income? While it is tempting for people to spend it all on things they desire, I believe it is better to save at least a portion of the extra income for the future.

By saving money, people give themselves more security. They cannot predict the future; perhaps one day they will be jobless. At a time like this their savings can spare them a great deal of suffering and help to see them through the hard time. In addition, saving money allows people to build up a larger sum. They can then buy something more worthwhile than the small things they can but if they spend the money right away. For example, they may be able to buy a house with their savings. Finally, the practice of saving helps people develop the habit of setting goals and planning for their future. In this way they are bound to lead more meaningful and successful lives.

Most people would like to enjoy their money immediately. Nobody likes to wait for the things that he wants. However, if we learn to save our money, we can gain more advantages in the future. We will lead more secure and, thus, happier lives. We will also be able to buy the things we truly want but cannot afford right now.

【参考译文】:存钱的好处
  每个人都必须工作以求生存,但是有许多人很幸运,能够赚得比他们立即需要的还要多的钱。他们应该如何处理这些额外的收入呢?尽管把钱全花在自己想买的东西上是很诱人的,但我认为最好至少把一部分的额外收入存起来,以备将来之需。

通过存钱,人们能获得更多的安全感。未来是无法预测的,或许有一天我们会失业。碰到像这样的情况,存款可以让我们免去许多痛苦,帮助我们渡过难关。此外,存钱可以使人积累较多的钱,可以用于买更有价值的东西,比马上把钱花掉所能买到的东西更有用。例如,我们可以用存款买房子。最后,存钱能帮助我们培养设定目标及为未来作计划的习惯。如此一来,我们一定会过着更有意义并且更成功的生活。

大部分的人会想要马上享用手边的钱。没有人想等到以后再买想要的东西。然而,如果我们学会存钱,未来可以获得更多的好处。我们将过着更有安全感而且更快乐的生活。我们也能购买我们真正想要但现在无法负担的东西。

【注释】
  immediately adv.立刻  extra adj.额外的
  do with处理      predict v.预测
  savings n. (pl.)存款  spare v.免除
  see through帮助…度过  in addition此外

托福范文:一直住在同一个地方(14)

【题目】
  Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throughout their lives, looking for a better job, house, community, or even climate. Which do you prefer: staying in one place or moving in search of another place? Use reasons and specific examples to support your opinion.

【范文】 Staying in One Place
  It is often said that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Perhaps this is why some people frequently move around, looking for better jobs, houses, and so on. No doubt it is possible to make some advances in this way, but I believe that staying in one place and putting down roots in a community also has many advantages. That is why I would prefer to spend my life in one place rather than constantly move around in search of a new home.

One advantage of spending a lifetime in the same community is that people can put down roots and enjoy long relationships with their friends and neighbors. As these relationships mature, the neighbors will come to trust and depend on each other more. In such a community, one never needs to worry when in trouble; someone is bound to give a hand. Another advantage is that people who live their lives in the same community care more about the neighborhood and work hard to improve it. This creates a nicer place for everyone to live. Finally, while we should never stop trying to improve ourselves, it is sometimes better to appreciate the advantages we already have than constantly seek more. A person who is always seeking will never be content.

In brief, I would prefer to have a permanent home in one community rather than constantly uproot myself and my family in search of something better. I believe that when we care about the place where we live we can always find a way to improve it and ourselves. In the future I will remember to appreciate the grass on my side of the fence.

【参考译文】一直住在同一个地方
  人们常说,邻家芳草绿,隔岸风景好。或许这就是有些人会经常到处搬家,寻找更好的工作或住所等的原因。这样做无疑可能会有所改善,但我认为,待在一个地方、在某个社区落地生根也有很多优点。这就是为什么我宁愿一辈子住在同一个地方,而不愿不断地搬来搬去寻找新家的原因。

一辈子住在同一个社区的一个优点是可以落地生根,享有和朋友、邻居之间长久的关系。当这些关系成熟时,邻居之间会更加互相信任、互相依赖。在这样一个社区中,有困难时也不必担心,因为一定有人会愿意伸出援助之手。另一个好处是,永久居住在同一个社区中,我们会更关心住家附近的环境,并努力加以改善,这样便能创造更好的居住环境。最后,虽然我们应该不停地努力自我改进,但有时候,欣赏我们自己已经有的优点胜过不断地追求更多优点。一个一直在追寻的人是永远不会满足的。

简言之,我宁愿在一个社区里建立永远的家,而不愿为了寻求更好的地方,带着自己和家人不断地搬家。我相信,当我们关心自己居住的地方时,我们总能找到改善住家和自己的方法。将来我会记得欣赏自己家里的草。

【注释】
  fence n.篱笆:The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 【谚】邻家芳草绿;隔岸风景好;外国的月亮比较圆。
  put down roots落地生根
  prefer to +V1+rather than +V2宁愿V1,也不愿V2
  give a hand帮忙   content adj.满足的

托福范文:人们为什么要上大学(15)

【题目】
  People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

【范文】 Why People Attend College or University?
  There are many advantages to a college or university education. Students have ample opportunity to explore a variety of interests, increase both their general and specific knowledge, prepare for a chosen career and develop independence. All of these are valuable goals to achieve, but it is my belief that most students today pursue higher education insgroupsto prepare for their future careers.

In the past, only the rich and privileged had the opportunity to attend a university and their goals were very different. Coming from wealthy families, few of them would have to compete for a job after graduation, and most wished only to be considered well-educated. Today’s students are more practical. They must be able to compete in a very competitive job market; therefore, a practical education is very important. Furthermore, higher education is a big investment and so most students want to get all they can out of it. For these students, it is better to have clearly defined career and education goals rather than to try and find themselves in college. Of course, all students want to increase their knowledge, but I believe that most students today want that knowledge to be relevant to their future careers.

The world has changed a great deal since universities were established. They are still wonderful places for acquiring broad knowledge and for personal development. However, in today’s competitive world these pursuits must be balanced with the pursuit of more specific goals. That is why I think most students view higher education as a valuable tool in career preparation.

【参考译文】人们为什么要上大学 ?
  大学教育有很多优点。大学生能有充分的机会去探索自己感兴趣的各种事物、增长一般与特定的知识、为自己所选定的职业生涯做准备,并培养独立的个性。这些全都是值得追求的宝贵目标。但是我认为,现今大多数的学生接受高等教育是为了要对未来的职业生涯做准备。

在过去,只有富人及特权阶级才有机会上大学,而且他们的目标相差悬殊。因为他们出身于富有的家庭,所以毕业后很少有人必须要和别人竞争,以取得工作机会,大多数只是希望让别人觉得他们受过良好的教育。现在的学生实际得多。由于必须在竞争激烈的就业市场和别人竞争,因此,讲求实用价值的教育就变得很重要。此外,高等教育是一项重大的投资,所以大多数的学生都会竭尽所能,想从中得到一切。对这些学生而言,最好是有明确的职业和教育目标,而不是在大学中才试着自己去寻找。当然,所有的学生都想要增长知识,但是我认为,现在大多数的学生都希望获得跟未来职业相关的知识。

自从大学设立以来,世界已有了重大的改变。大学仍然是一个获得广泛知识和寻求个人发展的极佳的场所。然而,在这个竞争激烈的世界里,在追求这些目标的同时,还必须有更明确的目标来加以平衡。那就是为什么我会认为大多数的学生都视高等教育为职业准备的一项宝贵的工具。

【注释】
  ample adj.充足的        explore v.探索
  a variety of各式各样的      specific adj.特定的
  chosen adj.选出来的       pursue v.追求   
  higher education高等教育    privileged adj.有特权的   
  practical adj.实际的       competitive adj.竞争激烈的

托福范文:书本知识与实际经验(16)

【题目】
  It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

【范文】 Book Knowledge vs Experience
  Knowledge can be acquired from many sources. These include books, teachers and practical experience, and each has its own advantages. The knowledge we gain from books and formal education enables us to learn about things that we have no opportunity to experience in daily life. We can study all the places in the world and learn from people we will never meet in our lifetime, just by reading about them in books. We can also develop our analytical skills and learn how to view and interpret the world around us in different ways. Furthermore, we can learn from the past by reading books. In this way, we won’t repeat the mistakes of others and can build on their achievements.

Practical experience, on the other hand, can give us more useful knowledge. It is said that one learns best by doing, and I believe that this is true, whether one is successful or not. In fact, I think making mistakes is the best way to learn. Moreover, if one wants to make new advances, it is necessary to act. Innovations do not come about through reading but through experimentation. Finally, one can apply the skills and insights gained through the study of books to practical experience, making an already meaningful experience more meaningful. However, unless it is applied to real experiences, book knowledge remains theoretical and, in the end, is useless. That is why I believe that knowledge gained from practical experience is more important than that acquired from books.

【参考译文】 书本知识与实际经验
  获得知识的来源有很多,其中包括书本、老师,以及实际经验,而每一种都有其优点。从书本上及正规教育中所获得的知识使我们知道在日常生活中没有机会亲身去体验的事。通过读书,我们可以研究世界各地的资料,还可以向不曾谋面的人学习。我们也可以培养分析的技巧,并学习如何以不同的方式去观察并理解周围的世界。此外,我们可以通过读书,从历史中获取教训。如此一来,就不会再重复别人的错误,并且能够以他人的成就作为我们行动的基础。

另一方面,实际经验能够给我们更多有用的知识。大家都说从做中学的效果最好,我也认为的确如此,无论一个人成功与否。事实上,我认为犯错是最好的学习方式。此外,如果想要有新的进展,就必须要付诸行动。想要创新,只靠阅读是不够的,必须要去实践。最后,我们可以将通过读书所获得的技巧和见解应用于实际经验中,使得原本有意义的经验变得更有意义。不过,除非我们能将书本知识运用于实际经验中,否则书本知识终究仍只是理论,毫无用处。那就是为什么我会认为从实际经验中获得的知识比从书本中所得到的知识更为重要。

【注释】
  acquire v.获得      source n.来源   
  practical adj.实际的    gain v.获得
  formal adj.正规的     study v.研究   
  achievements n.(pl.)成就  on the other hand另一方面
  innovation n.创新     come about产生
  theoretical adj.理论的   in the end到最后;终究

托福范文:附近有工厂的利弊(17)

【题目】
  A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the factory? Explain your position.

【范文】 A Factory near the Neighborhood
  Having a factory nearswheresone lives brings with it both advantages and disadvantages. An obvious advantage is an increase in the number of available jobs, and many people in the community might find employment in the new factory. The factory would bring money into the community in other ways as well. It would have to pay some taxes to the local government, and workers might go shopping or eat at a restaurant in the area before or after their shifts.

However, the factory would bring some disadvantages, too. Depending on what kind of factory it is, it might pollute the environment and bring down property values. It would be sure to increase traffic in the area, causing congestion and making it unsafe for children to play outside. Finally, the neighborhood would become a noisy, busy place. For all of these reasons, I would be opposed to the construction of a new factory near my community. While the employment opportunities would help the community, I believe it would be better for residents to commute to work and preserve the peace of our neighborhood.

【译文】 住家附近的工厂
  住家附近有工厂既有优势也有弊端。一项明显的优势是工作机会会增加。社区内的许多居民可能会在新工厂找到工作。工厂也会以其他方式为社区带来收入。它必须上缴给当地政府部分税金,工人也可能会在轮班工作的前后在当地购买东西或在餐厅用餐。

然而,工厂也会带来某些弊端,这取决于工厂的性质。它可能会污染环境,造成房地产价格下跌。工厂一定会使当地的交通流量增加,导致交通阻塞,使得小孩在外面玩耍变得不安全。最后,社区附近地区会变得既热闹又嘈杂。基于这些理由,我反对在社区附近兴建新的工厂。虽然就业机会能造福社区,但我认为还是居民乘车上下班,保持社区附近环境的安宁比较好。

【注释】   
  available adj.可获得的        community n.社区
  as well也(=too)           shift n.轮班
  depend on视…而定;取决于     bring down使降低
  property n.房地产          congestion n.阻塞
  be opposed to反对(=oppose)     construction n.建造
  commute v.乘公交车上下班      peace n.安宁

托福范文:为何要改造家乡环境(18)

【题目】
  If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

【范文】
  My hometown is a large city with a dense population. Because it is crowded with people and their vehicles, the environment is not as clean as I would like it to be. Too many cars and buses pollute the air and people also create a lot of garbage that is not always disposed of properly. If I could change just one thing about my hometown, it would be the environment. I would make it a cleaner and less polluted place to live.

I believe that such a change is important because a person’s living environment can greatly affect both his physical and mental health. Bad air quality can contribute to many health problems such as asthma, and improperly discarded garbage can spread bacteria that are dangerous to health. In addition, the environment can greatly affect the way a person feels. When in clean, attractive surroundings we always feel more optimistic. For these reasons, I think the people of my hometown should work together to make it a cleaner place to live.

Insgroupsto accomplish this goal we have to not only enact laws to limit pollution, but also take personal responsibility for our own actions. Only when people realize the effect that the environment has on their well-being will they take such proposals seriously. Therefore, we must first inform people of the dangers of a poor environment. Then I believe we can all live happier, healthier lives.

【译文】 改变我的家乡为何先选环境?
  我的家乡是个人口密集的大城市。因为挤满了人和车辆,所以它的环境没有我所希望的那么干净。过多的汽车及公共汽车污染了空气,人们制造的许多垃圾也不一定能够得到妥善处理。如果我只能改变家乡的一样东西,那么我想改变的就是它的环境。我想使它成为一个更干净、污染更少的居住场所。

我认为这样的改变是很重要的,因为居住环境可能会大大地影响人们的身体及心理健康。不良的空气质量可能会导致许多健康方面的问题,例如哮喘;而随意丢弃的垃圾也会传播有害健康的细菌。此外,环境对于人们的感受会有相当大的影响。在干净而宜人的环境里,我们一定会觉得更乐观。因此,我认为家乡的居民应该共同合作,让它成为更干净的居住场所。

为了达到这项目标,我们不仅要制定法律来限制污染,还必须为自己的行为负责。只有了解环境对健康的影响,人们才会认真考虑这些提议。因此,我们必须先让大家知道不良环境可能造成的危险。我相信这样一来,我们都能过着更快乐、更健康的生活。

【注释】
  dense adj.密集的      be crowded with挤满了
  not always不一定       dispose of处理
  properly adv.适当地      contribute v.促成〈to〉
  asthma n.哮喘        discard v.抛弃
  spread v.传播        bacteria n. (pl.)细菌
  optimistic adj.乐观的     enact v.制定(法律)
  well-being n.健康      take. . .seriously把…看得很认真

托福范文:电视对公众的影响(19)

【题目】
  How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

【范文】 The Influence of Television and Movies
  There is no doubt that watching television and movies can influence the way that people behave. Moreover, it seems that people are spending more and more time watching some sort of visual entertainment, whether it is television, a video tape or a DVD. Therefore, the effects of visual media cannot be ignored.

One obvious effect of these media is that watching them induces people to buy certain products. Television advertising is widespread and, nowadays, even movie theaters permit advertisements. Another way TV and the movies affect people is that they give people either a broader view of the world or a distorted one, depending on what type of program they watch. Those who watch news and educational program can learn many new things while those who watch primarily entertainment shows may come to believe that most people in the world possess great wealth and good looks. It may make them become dissatisfied with their own lives. Finally, perhaps the most susceptible viewers are children, who may be unable to tell fact from fiction and may try to imitate acts that they see on TV or in the movies.

With the ever-increasing popularity of video entertainment, society must pay attention to these effects. Television and movies, while entertaining and informative, cannot take the place of real experience.

【译文】电视电影对公众的影响
  电视和电影无疑会影响人们的行为举止。此外,人们似乎在花越来越多的时间去观看一些视觉娱乐节目,无论是电视、录像带,或是DVD。因此,视觉媒体的影响是不容忽视的。
  这些媒体所造成的最明显的影响是,人们在观看之后会被诱使去购买某些产品。现在电视广告非常普遍,即使是电影院,也允许播放广告。另外一个电视及电影会影响人们的方式是,它们能使人们对世界有更广阔的见解或是扭曲的看法,而这取决于人们所观看的是什么样的节目。凡是观看新闻性及教育性节目的人可以学习许多新事物,而主要观看娱乐节目的观众可能就会认为,世界上大多数的人都很有钱,而且长得都很好看,这可能会使他们对自己的生活感到不满意。最后,儿童可能是最容易受影响的观众。他们可能无法分辨真实与虚构,而且可能会试着模仿在电视或电影中所看到的行为。
  由于视觉娱乐越来越普遍,所以社会大众必须注意其可能造成的影响。尽管电视及电影兼具娱乐性和知识性,但还是无法取代实际的经验。

【注释】
  behave v.行为举止    visual adj.视觉的
  DVD数码影音光碟(=digital visual disk )
  media n. (pl.)媒体    take the place of取代
  tell A from B分辨A与B   fiction n.虚构的事
  imitate v.模仿      ever-increasing adj.不断增加的
  video adj.电视影像的   informative adj.能增进知识的

托福范文:电视对沟通的影响(20)

【题目】
  Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Television has destroyed communication among friends and family. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

【范文】The Effects of Television on Communication
  There is no doubt that television has greatly changed people’s lives. After its invention, it became an almost indispensable part of most households within the space of just a few years. Nowadays, many families have two or even three television sets so that every member of the family can watch what he wants whenever he wants. In my opinion, this has significantly reduced the amount of time that family and friends spend communicating with each other.

Before the invention of television, people spent their leisure time in more active and social pursuits. They often played cards or other games, listened to the radio together or went out to see friends. But now television is widely available and it offers a variety of program choices that appeal to almost every interest. People no longer have to look to others for entertainment. Also, television can be like a sedative. Studies have shown that watching a great deal of television makes people more passive. Finally, people are simply watching increasing amounts of television. And with two or three TV sets in the house, there is no need for them to even watch it together.

Although television has reduced the amount of time that family and friends spend together, it doesn’t have to be this way. People can make the choice to turn off the TV and do something more active. Or, if they really want to watch TV, they can find a thought-provoking program that they would all like to watch and discuss afterwards.

【参考译文】电视对沟通的影响
  电视已经大大地改变了人们的生活,这一点是毋庸置疑的。电视在其发明后的短短几年内几乎成为大多数家庭中不可或缺的一部分。现在许多家庭拥有两台甚至三台电视机,每个家庭成员随时可以看自己想看的节目。我认为这样已使得家人和朋友之间沟通的时间大为减少。
  在电视发明之前,人们有空就会做一些比较积极的消遣,并进行社交活动。人们会经常玩扑克牌或其他游戏,一起听收音机或出去拜访朋友。但是现在电视很普及,有各式各样的节目可供选择,几乎能让每个人都很感兴趣,于是人们便不再寻求其他的娱乐。而且,电视就好像镇静剂一样。有研究指出,观看大量的电视节目会让人变得比较消极。最后,人们看电视的时间变得越来越多,而且有两台或三台电视机的家庭,其家人甚至都不在一起看电视。
  虽然电视已使家人和朋友之间相聚的时间变少,但这并非是必然的结果。人们可以选择关上电视,去从事一些更积极的活动。或者如果真的想看电视,也可以找一个大家都想看的思考性节目,看完之后可以一起讨论。

【注释】
  indispensable adj.不可或缺的  significantly adv.相当大地
  pursuit n.工作;消遣   thought-provoking adj.发人深省的

托福范文:都市生活的优点(21)

【题目】
  Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

【范文】The Advantages of City Life
  There are undeniable advantages to both life in a big city and in a small town. The former offers more excitement and convenience while the latter offers a cleaner, quieter and often friendlier place to live. However, despite the advantages of small town life, I prefer to live in a big city for several reasons.

First, life in the city is more convenient. More goods are available and stores are open later. Also, there is better public transportation so it is easier to get around. I can find almost anything I want easily in the city. Second, there are more ways to spend leisure time in the city. There are many places I can go to meet friends and have fun. Finally, and most importantly, the city offers more educational and career opportunities. The city often attracts the best teachers and the best companies. There is also a wider choice of jobs so it is easier to move up the career ladder.

For all of these reasons, I prefer to live in the city. Although I sometimes miss the fresh air and quiet life of a small town, nothing can make up for the opportunities that the city offers me. If one wants to be successful, I believe the best place to live is the city.

【译文】都市生活的优点
  在大都市和在小城镇生活各有优点,这是不可否认的。前者提供给人们比较多的乐趣及便利,而后者则提供给人们一个比较干净、安静,而且通常更亲切的居住场所。然而,尽管小镇生活有这些优点,但基于某些理由,我还是比较喜欢住在大都市里。
  首先,都市生活比较方便,可以买到比较多的商品,而且商店营业时间比较晚。此外,都市里有较好的公共运输工具,到哪里都比较容易。在都市里,我几乎可以轻易地找到任何我想要的东西。其次,在都市里有更多的方式消磨休闲时间。有很多地方可以让我去认识朋友,并且玩得很开心。最后,也是最重要的一点是,都市提供更多教育及就业的机会。都市往往能吸引最好的老师以及最好的公司。因为工作机会比较广泛,所以要升迁也比较容易。
  基于上述种种理由,我比较喜欢住在都市。虽然有时候我会想念小镇新鲜的空气及安静的生活,但没有什么可以弥补都市提供给我的机会。如果想要成功,我认为最好的居住地点就是都市。

【注释】
  undeniable adj.不可否认的 
  public transportation公共交通工具
  get around到处走动(=get about )    
  ladder n.阶梯;发迹的途径

返回列表