听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 阅读提高 » Why do you want to learn English?
返回列表 发帖

Why do you want to learn English?

Have you ever really asked yourself why you want to learn a new language? Let's for the moment1 forget about the obvious: additional job skill, immigration, travels, studies aboard, academic necessity, etc. Of course, these reasons are valid2 and motivate3 us to bury our heads in thick language textbooks and repeat after a monotonous4 voice on an audiocassette. But I believe we acquire a new language in order to effectively communicate with people not of our country and culture. Since 1997, I have been part of a successful conversational English training program, Patrick English Network (PEN).
  The success of PEN lies in our belief that to fully embody5 a language, we must understand and embrace the culture of the language. Therefore we created an “ edutaining” (educational and entertaining) curriculum6 that includes not only lessons on spoken English and listening comprehension but also fun activities such as singing, dancing, movies,and games,to enhance7 our students' knowledge of American culture. Although most students support the emphasis on culture study, they often consider the listed activities to be a “ waste of their time.” “ Singing and dancing are fun. But maybe we can do? Hmm? Fifteen minutes a day. That's enough.” “ Why is that?” I ask. “ Because it doesn't help us with our English.” “ Then what would you rather do?” “ More free talk with foreign teachers.” The whole class shouts. I ask,
“ And what would you like to speak to the foreigners about?” A student stands up. “ Doesn't matter. Anything. We want to make friends with them.” The entire class then nods in agreement. “ Make friends.”
  This conversation transpires8 in almost every class I teach. As always, I ponder the students' response only to arrive at the same question. “ How to make foreigners want to speak to and be friends with you?” Though physical language is indeed an important tool of communication, what solidifies9 a healthy interpersonal10 relationship is a spiritual language.Think about it this way. We are all surrounded by people who speak the same language as we do. But are we friends with every single one of them? No. Why? It certainly isn't because of an actual language barrier11. Instead it is our personal differences or a lack of a common ground that keeps people apart. Now ask yourself, how did you choose your friends? I'm sure it isn't because they speak the same dialect or language as you. You like your friends for the person they are. And the same logic12 should apply to everyone, including foreigners or Americans.
How to make friends with people from a different culture? The rules are as follows:
  RULE 1:Appreciate the Person Most Americans like to be recognized as individuals as someone special with unique characteristics and personalities. Therefore, never say, “ You're from America so I want to be your friend.” Also don't imply that the reason why you approached them is because you wanted someone to practice your English with. That turns people off13. Instead try saying,“ You seem like a real nice and interesting person and I would like to get to know you better.” This way, they are much more inclined14 to be friendly because you see them as a three dimensional15 person and appreciate them for who they are in the inside.And by doing so,you not only learn about America and practice your English,but also gain a real friend in the process.
  RULE 2uit Calling Us Foreigners Please refrain from16 calling a foreigner a foreigner especially in his face17. The word makes people feel like an outsider, and even unwelcome, suggesting separation and insurmountable differences, widening an already existing gap in the situation.
  When Americans travel, they rarely say, “ I'm foreign to your place.” They tend to say, “ I'm new in town.
I'm new here.” The reason is because new and unfamiliar things can become old and familiar. But can foreign things become native? Aha? You catch my drift18.
  RULE 3:Just Do It Some students like to be told about American culture but are less interested in spending the time and the effort to actually experience it. As Americans always say, “ Get your hands dirty.” Until you have first hand and hands on experience, you'll never really know anything. Right?
  So whenever you have the opportunity to participate in American culture, don't just sit there and watch. Get up and get involved!
  RULE 4:Find that Common Language Now I must stress the importance of finding a common language. By that I don't mean English, Chinese, German, French, etc. I mean finding something you have in common with another person on a spiritual and philosophical19 level: likes, dislikes, worldviews, ways of thinking, and attitudes toward life. And to start, you must first enhance your knowledge of the particular culture from which your potential new friend comes from.
It's paramount20 to keep in mind that people want to talk to you because of who you are and what you have to say, not because you speak a particular language or dialect. After all, the most important purpose for learning a language is to communicate with other PEOPLE.Sample Text

long long long

回复 #1 lilyrita319 的帖子

你的什么真好啊

返回列表