听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 环球英语 » Chinese New Year Traditions
返回列表 发帖

Chinese New Year Traditions

本帖最后由 davy10 于 2011-1-30 20:54 编辑

Editor's note: Falling on the first day of the first lunar month, the Spring Festival is the most important festival for the Chinese people and is when all family members get together, just like Christmas in the West. All people living away from home go back, making it the busiest time for transportation systems of about half a month. Here we take a review of how Chinese celebrate the festival in a traditional way.
Preparations

There is a shopping spree before the Spring Festival. Shopkeepers stock up New Year goods and spruce up the malls waiting for frantic customers to crowd in. The most favored items are food and decorations.

People also do a thorough cleaning to their houses, which symbolizes a fresh start to the upcoming year.

On the Chinese New Year, families in China decorate their front doors with poetic couplets of calligraphy written with fragrant Indian ink to express the feeling of life's renewal and the return of spring.

It is said that spring couplets originated from "peach wood charms", which were door gods painted on wood charms during ancient times. During the Five Dynasties (907-960), Emperor Meng Chang inscribed an inspired couplet on a peach slat, beginning a custom which gradually evolved into today's popular custom of pasting-up spring couplets.

Giving Hongbao (red packets or red envelopes) during the Chinese New Year is another tradition.

A red packet is simply a red envelope with gift money in it, which symbolizes luck and wealth. Red packets are symbolically handed out to younger generations by their parents, grandparents, relatives and friends, and usually the immediate family gives Hongbao to the children on New Year's Eve. The pretty envelopes make the present seem more amiable and sincere.

附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

would you like to share your views about the traditional festival ?

happy new year,I am looking forward to the great celebration.However,now I am ashamed to get the Hongbao because I am also an adult now......

评分人数

• davy10

回复 3# zora

maybe you should prepare hongbao for others

回复 4# davy10

Do you really think so ?I am sorry to hear that ...but I have not earn money myself...

回复 5# zora

are you still a student ?

回复 6# davy10

yeah。。

Happy new year!

I want to have Hongbao.
恭喜发财,红包拿来

返回列表