听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 交流茶馆 » A TRUE ANGEL
返回列表 发帖

A TRUE ANGEL

At age 13, life seemed to be perfect. No worries, no huge responsibilities, but on the down side - no real best friend. Well, I didn't quite know it but my life was about to change dramatically.

Around Christmas of 1999 my mom was diagnosed with mono. Time went on and she just wasn't feeling any better and was looking much worse so my grandmother took her to the Emergency Room. She was immediately admitted into the hospital. Many tests were run, but still no answer.

After about a week and a half, the doctor decided to run some tests on her lymph nodes. About two days later the results came back. She had lymphoma, a form of cancer.

At the time I didn't know. My parents didn't tell my brothers or me right away. From what I've been told my mom called my school and told my counselor about it before I knew. Then that night my parents shared the information with us. I still feel I took it the hardest because of me being so close to my mom. Also, not to mention me just flat out being an emotional person.

The next day my life changed forever. On one hand I was handed a true crisis, but on the other hand, I was sent an angel from God. I had never realized it before but one of my teachers, to me, was a true angel.

After finding out about my mom and having to face school the next day wasn't exactly easy. Everyone was concerned and asking why I was so upset and crying, then me having to tell them, and becoming even more upset.

Around fifth period that day waiting to walk into History class, a wonderful woman by the name of Debbie Schulenberg approached me. I knew right away what she was going to ask. As it turns out I was right. She asked, "Are you okay?" Almost simultaneously I began to cry. She reached for my arm and I allowed her to lead me into another room.

We talked for about twenty minutes. Then, she went back to her class, and I went back to mine. It seemed to me that after our talk I felt a little stronger, and a little surer of myself.

As time went on my mom began her chemotherapy and Ms. Schulenberg and I became a little closer everyday.

Ever since first grade I've gone to a Catholic school. In the Catholic religion there is a sacrament called Confirmation. For Confirmation each candidate (that would be me) needs to choose a sponsor.

I had originally chosen one sponsor but that didn't work out. I went to Ms. Schulenberg with this problem. During one of our weekly counseling sessions she told me I should choose someone that I care for, someone that I look to religiously, and someone that I trusted.

I went home that night and thought about what she said. I came to the conclusion of who I should have as my sponsor; Ms Schulenberg! I called her up that weekend and she said "yes".

When I heard the word "yes" out of her mouth I knew this was going to be a great thing. Even in all the excitement about Confirmation I still had to face the fact that my mom was seriously ill.

As we reached the halfway mark of the chemotherapy my mom seemed to be showing good signs of remission. At the same time May was right around the corner, which meant time for the sacrament of Confirmation.

The day of Confirmation May 2, 2000 came and left in no time. It seemed like as soon as the mass began it was all over. Just a few weeks later we learned that my mom was in remission!

Of course Ms. Schulenberg and I celebrated in our own special way. With all the excitement it just so happened that I was in eighth grade which meant that I was to graduate. Of course this scared me, as the thought of losing Ms. Schulenberg ran across my mind, although she was right there to reassure me that would not happen.

The big day came, I graduated, and I did it with pride knowing inside me that I had conquered on of the biggest hurdles in my life. Most of all, I had gained an extremely special friend, Ms. Schulenberg. She helped me with everything. If I needed her she was there, through it all.

It just so happens Ms. Schulenberg left that school the same year I did. Once again the thought of losing her ran across my mind. I had always dreamed of the days when I would go back up to see her. Now those dreams were erased.

Even though Ms. Schulenberg left when I did, we still keep in touch through the phone, and I know that if I ever need anything she'll be there. Again.

That is my story and that is why I know I was blessed with an angel, sent to me from God.

返回列表