听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 交流茶馆 » RICHEST GIFT: Inspirational stories
返回列表 发帖

RICHEST GIFT: Inspirational stories

Years ago I was trekking in the Himalayas and had made the mistake of converting a large amount of cash into the local currency. As I progressed through out the villages of the Annapurnas, it soon became apparent that the people were too poor to afford even the simplest supplies they would need to fashion local crafts. They had nothing. This meant that I had this ridiculous wad of cash in my pack and was a virtual walking millionaire compared to the local people. I grew to hate the stuff and it was an embarrassment to have it in my possession amidst such need. This led to a remarkable experience that affected me deeply and it's memory has never left me.

On this particular day I had become isolated from my fellow trekkers and found myself in a vast valley. As I made my way down, I noticed a young girl of around 13 tending some sheep. Like so many of the children of the amazing Nepalese people, she was very beautiful. I couldn't stop looking at her and she at me.

As I drew level with her she suddenly rushed over to me and, without a word, handed me a flower. Our eyes met for a tiny moment and then she ran away. The spirit in this angelic child had responded to something she saw in me and her first thought was to find something to give. From the depths of her poverty, there was nothing she had - other than a single flower. The weight of my cash was never heavier than at this moment and I had just received one of the richest gifts I have ever had in my life.

返回列表