听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Sport: Murray Mania 运动: 穆雷狂热
返回列表 发帖

Sport: Murray Mania 运动: 穆雷狂热

It is that time of year again, everyone is eating strawberries with cream, drinking Pimms with lemonade and watching the world's best tennis players battling for supremacy at the Wimbledon Tennis Championship.

However there is something very different this year. Britain has a high-ranking player who just might have achance of winning the title. The British public are very excited and are eagerly following the progress of 22-year-old Andrew Murray.

Murray is currently ranked third in the world for men's singles, behind thelegends that are Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. This is an even moreimpressive feat when you consider that he only turned pro in 2005.

He currently holds three Masters titles which include a win over Nadal in Rotterdam in February of this year. So it is not surprising that the public'sexpectations are high. Everyone is waiting to see if Murray can reach and win the 2009 Wimbledon final. Murray clearly thinks he can win. In an interview published on his official website, he says:

"I believe I can win Wimbledon. That's not changed since the first match. But, like I said, I'm gonna have to play great tennis to do it."

Winning Wimbledon would be a feat for any tennis player but if Murray wins, he would become the first British male to take the title since Fred Perry in 1934. And let's hope a win will put a smile on his face.

Renowned for being somewhat dour and not very chatty, Murray is fairlyguarded about his personal life. What we do know is that he comes from a very sporty family.

His older brother is a successful tennis player and took the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon in 2007. His mother is a tennis coach in Scotland and his grandfather used to play football for the Scottish teams Hibernian and Stirling Albion.

His sporty family have fully backed and helped develop Murray's tennis career. But it remains to be seen whether this young Scot has what it takes to get to the final and become a Wimbledon champion.

At least we won't have to wait too long to find out. The 2009 men's final is scheduled for 5 July.

返回列表