听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Culture: A Historic Love Letter 文化:一封历史情书
返回列表 发帖

Culture: A Historic Love Letter 文化:一封历史情书

The 16th century English King Henry VIII is best known for his prodigious appetite and habit of executing wives he was unhappy with, but a love letter written by Henry shows a softer side to his character.

The letter, which has been hidden inthe Vatican for nearly 500 years, is to go on display at the British Library in London in April.

Henry wrote to Anne Boleyn, who would become his second wife, in January 1528, apologising to her for suggesting that she become hismistress.

In the letter Henry promises Anne that "henceforth my heart will be dedicated to you alone", an assurance that contradicts Henry’swomanising reputation.

Henry continues, "The beautiful words of your letter are so cordially phrased, that they really oblige me to honour, love, and serve you for ever."

Henry went on to marry Anne Boleyn after divorcing his first wife, the Spanish princess Catherine of Aragon, but despite having written to Anne like a lovesick schoolboy, Henry’s marriage to her ended badly.

Having failed to provide him with a male heir, Anne fell from favour with the king, whose chief minister had her charged with treason andadultery.

Anne was executed by beheading at the Tower of London in May 1536, leaving the way clear for Henry to marry his third wife Jane Seymour.

According to contemporary witnesses Anne went to her death displayingqueenly dignity; on the morning of her execution she told her prison guard, "I heard say the executioner was very good, and I have a little neck."

Henry went on to be married a total of six times, divorcing twice and executing another wife, but in spite of all his efforts, Henry died without leaving a surviving male heir, a situation which resulted in the coronationof Anne’s daughter, Queen Elizabeth I.

返回列表