听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 少儿·初·高中·大学 » Teachers baffled by "Post-90s" generation
返回列表 发帖

Teachers baffled by "Post-90s" generation

When talking about his history teacher, Yang Yifei, a third-year senior high student put on an air of scorn. "He teaches what's in the textbooks word for word," Yang said.
The student, who is the top student in history at a well-known secondary school in Beijing continued claiming the teacher was not knowledgeable enough because he refused to answer students' questions about a historical drama on television and Kung fu novels.
Yang's opinions represent the generation born after the 1990s called "hou 90s", who are brought up on "fast-food culture" and the Internet. The generation gap between teachers and students range from language to attitudes.
Challenging the teachers' authority
"Perhaps the teacher thought my questions are beyond the textbooks, but I think if I have a question for the teacher, he should have the answer," Yang said.
However, his teacher is not the only one who feels his students disrespect him. Many students criticize their English teachers for their imperfect English pronunciation, while Geography teachers don't know much about the world outside of China. That's because the students have traveled abroad, but the teachers haven't.
"We have to pay tuition fees to go to school, so we should complain if we're not satisfied with our teachers," said Zhang Fan, a student of a private middle school, which charges 10,000 yuan for annual tuition.
Because of the market economy, children growing up in the 90s believe education is something they consume, and so it's their right to fire the teacher and get a better one if they want.
Zhang said a teacher was fired in her school last year because she spoke with a thick Hebei accent and students claimed they couldn't understand what she said.
"Challenging teachers was unimaginable when I went to school," says Zhang Fan's mother. "Even if the teachers didn't teach well, we dared not critcize them."
Many teachers are behind the times
A student at the High School attached to Beihang University, Xiao Zeng, spends hours chatting online after school every day. She hoped she could chat with her mathematics teacher if she had any problems with her homework. But the 50-year-old teacher had no idea how to do instant messaging.
One of Zeng's classmates said they once escaped punishment after they exchanged answers through text messaging on their cell phones during a test and their teacher knew they were cheating, but could not find any evidence of their scheme.
"Even if teachers get text messages, they can't even figure out what their students are saying," explained Zeng's teacher, who is referring to shorthand phrases like MM for beautiful young girls, BF for boyfriend and PF for pei fu (admire).
However, deciphering text messages is merely the tip of an iceberg. Some students take photos of their teachers with their cell phones and post them on the Internet and poke fun at the photos. Others post their teachers' unintentional mistakes on online forums to entertain netizens.
Different cultural identity from teachers
Xu Qian, a first-year high school student failed in one of her compositions because she mentioned her first love. Her teacher insisted high school students are not supposed to write about love affairs in their compositions.
"I don't know why we can't write this," says Xu. "I watch Japanese movies - high school students' romance is quite typical in their country. Some post-80s authors write about love affairs in their novels. I used to love Chinese class, but I began to hate the class after I failed that assignment."
How to manage the "post-90s generation"?
Educators sympathize with each other in dealing with the post 90s generation.
"You can have different interests from theirs, but you have to accept their interests," said Li Juan, a young art teacher.
Gao Yang, a Chinese teacher adds, "Humor is important, and I try to make friends with them."
That is a similar approach head teacher Wei Huibin takes. "The principal will give me a long face if you don't change your weird hair style." The student cut his hair cut right after class.
A teacher engaged in educational research and surnamed Zhang said children born in the 1990s are very knowledgeable, getting their information from many sources like the Internet and travel. As a result, they have more experience than their teachers.
"More importantly, they are very aware of their personality and independence, so it is not advisable to confront with them as it will turn to be counter-productive," Zhang explains.
Xu Gang, headmaster of Lanzhou Number Eight Middle School echoed Zhang. "Teachers will not able to instruct students if they have no knowledge of what their students are interested in." The headmaster emphasized teachers and students need more mutual understanding between them rather than confrontation.

Notes

confiscate con.fis.cate  v.tr.con.fis.cat.ed,con.fis.cat.ing,con.fis.cates
(1)To seize (private property) for the public treasury.充公:没收(私人财产)来作为公共财物
(2)To seize by or as if by authority.See Synonyms at appropriate 没收:由政府或好象是由政府没收 参见 appropriate  
adj.(1)Seized by a government; appropriated. 充公:由政府没收的;挪用的
(2)Having lost property through confiscation.被充公了的:由于被没收充公而丧失财产的

baffle vt.使挫折, 阻碍/使困惑, 使人难以理解/转移[停止]...的 流动/用隔音板隔(音)They succeeded in  -fling the enemy's attack.他们成功地阻止了敌人的进攻。This puzzle baffles me.这个谜使我困惑不解。
baffle  vi.徒劳地挣扎; 折腾baffle with the storm徒然与暴风雨搏斗

baffle  n.迷惑/[挡, 阻, 障] 板, 隔墙, 遮护物, 防护板/流片, 折流板, 扰[紊]流器, 缓冲板, 阻遏体, 节气门反射体, 障体/极, 无定向风阻尼器/流墩, 砥(柱), 偏流消能设备, 【军】迷彩涂保护色
put on an air of   装出...的样子
word for word     adv.逐字地
imperfect adj.有缺点的, 未完成的, 减弱的, [语]未完成时的, 未完成过去时的  n.未完成体
tuition fee   n.学费,(某一学科的)教学
unimaginable adj.,想不到的, 不可思议的
instant   adj.立即的, 直接的, 紧迫的, 刻不容缓的, (食品)速溶的, 方便的, 即时的
scheme   [ski:m] n.安排, 配置, 计划, 阴谋, 方案, 图解, 摘要 v.计划, 设计, 图谋, 策划
shorthand n.(1)A system of rapid handwriting employing symbols to represent words, phrases, and letters.速记法:一种采用符号来代表词,词组和字母来愉速书写的方法 (2)A system, a form, or an instance of abbreviated or formulaic reference:简略的表达方法:一种缩略或公式表达的方法,形式或实例:“The classical error is to regard a scientific law as only a shorthand for its instances”(Jacob Bronowski)“在看待科学法则上的传统错误是把它只当作它的实例的一个简略的表达方式”(雅各·布洛诺夫斯基)
decipher   vt.译解(密码等), 解释 n.密电译文
poke   n.刺, 戳, 懒汉, 袋子 vt.戳, 捅, 拨开, 刺 vi.戳, 刺, 捅, 伸出, 刺探, 闲荡
unintentional   adj.不是故意的, 无心的, 无意识的
sympathize   vi.同情, 共鸣, 同感, 同意, 吊唁
weird   adj.怪异的, 超自然的, 神秘的, 不可思议的, 超乎事理之外的 n.<古><苏格兰>命运, 预言, 符咒
engage in   v.使从事于, 参加
personality   n.个性, 人格, 人物, 名人, (用复数)诽谤、人身攻击
confront with   使面临, 使面对
counterproductive   adj.反生产的, 使达不到预期目标的
instruct   vt.教, 教导, 命令, 指示, 通知
mutual   adj.相互的, 共有的
confrontation n.面对, 面对面, 对质
confrontation  n.(1)The act of confronting or the state of being confronted, especially a meeting face to face.对抗:对抗的行为或对抗的状态,尤指面对面的遭遇 (2)A conflict involving armed forces:
武装对抗:涉及武装力量的冲突:a nuclear confrontation.核对抗 (3)Discord or a clash of opinions and ideas:不和:观点或思想的不和或冲撞:an age of ideological confrontation.一个意识形态对抗的年代(4)A focused comparison:认真地比较:an essay that brought elements of biography, autobiography, and general European history into powerful, meaningful confrontation.一篇对传记、自传和欧洲通史进行了有力地、深刻比较的论文
confront  vt.出现在...面前; 面临; 遭遇 / 与...相对; 和...对抗; 使对证 / (勇敢而冷静地)面对, 正视 / 对照; 比较confront reality正视现实conclusions that can be confronted with experience能与经验相对照的结论New tasks now confronted the working class.新任务摆在工人阶级面前。My house onfronts his.我的家与他的家对门。The prisoner was confronted with his accusers.犯人被带来与原告对质。A soldier has to confront danger and death.军人必须勇敢而冷静地面对危险和死亡。
be confronted with  面临, 面对, 碰上
be confronted by    面临, 面对, 碰上

返回列表