听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语美文】 » Not just a Mom-(46-110812)
返回列表 发帖

Not just a Mom-(46-110812)

A woman named Emily renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job, or are you just a ... "

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

"Of course I have a job," snapped Emily. "I'm a mother."

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

"We don't list 'mother' as an occupation ... 'Housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "What is your occupation?" she probed.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

What made me say it, I do not know ... The words simply popped out. "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

The clerk paused, ballpoint pen frozen in midair, and looked up as though she had not heard right.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?"

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family), and already have four credits, (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby), in the child-development program, testing out a new vocal pattern.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I felt triumphant! I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another mother."

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Motherhood ... What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research Associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers "Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!!

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

Funny!And did a so great job!

great mother

评分人数

Not just a Mom

评分人数

回复 3# tingroom

Yeap,i think so ,too.

回复 4# sunnyraintsk

a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations

顶一下,不错不错....

“母亲”的这个定义下得不错!

本帖最后由 sunny萝卜 于 2011-11-3 17:33 编辑

Yes, we can get mother's meaning in this way, not a classical way, in this view, mather(mother) is a great mission!

评分人数

• sunny萝卜

great!

回复 7# lilo520

you can try to use English

回复 8# Faila

I think so ,too.

Once woman gets married or have baby, her could not just be  classified as "housewife"

回复 9# fangnan

so right. Each identity has its mission.

回复 10# 王笑天

THANKS

返回列表