听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语评论】 » Neither hills, heat nor rabbits
返回列表 发帖

Neither hills, heat nor rabbits

本帖最后由 kuangye678 于 2011-9-6 08:55 编辑

As a post woman in Chenfang town,Jiangxi province,Luo arrives at the office each day at 7:30am (having pulled herself out of bed an hour and a half earlier).In the morning she sorts letters,papers and parcels,and acts as the only clerk in the office.Inthe afternoon,she carries the mail to people living in eight villages scattered in the hills.Two roads lead to the villages.One winds among hills and streams before reaching one villageabout 20km away,and can only be covered by foot.The other is 25km long,allows the use ofa bicycle and has seven villages along the way.Luo said it often takes five hours to finish a round trip of deliveries,and it's hard to say whichroute is easier."It's a bit more tiring to walk the hilly road,because I have to climb the hills.Yet on the otherroute I probably carry more mail by bike,"she said.Luo, 43,
the daughter of a farmers'family in Chenfang,worked on the farm before becoming apostal worker.
In 1996,the post office asked Luo's parents if she would like to fill a temporary vacancy.Luodidn't expect that "temporary"
position to last for 10years,until she became an official and theonly employee of the post office in 2008.
She used to carry up to 55kg of mail,but now she is not as strong as she used to be,and thereare fewer letters and telegrams today.Yet she is proud that she has never lost one letter or made a late delivery."The hills seem dangerous,though.I seldom see other people walking.
Sometimes there areanimals popping out of the woods,such as rabbits and boar,"Luo said. "It's a bit scary."
But animals are not the only frightening thing she has run into.In 2001,Luo was stopped by aman attempting to rob her."I was carrying parcels of mail with a pole,and suddenly he came out of the woods,asking me togive him my money."She finally drove the robber away."I was so scared,there was really nothing I could do but put down the mail,
grab the pole in myhand,and shout out loud."
She also suffered heatstroke while working in summer,and once passed out on the way for twohours."Now besides food and water,I take some medicine for heatstroke,"she said。The hardships don't stop her love for the job,however.Luo said the villagers treat her like afamily member,and sometimes invite her for a meal or to stay for the night.

Great peole hiding in the average .

average  people often have a great and unusual job.they are the best and ordinary.

返回列表