返回列表 发帖

每日五句 0326

Variety is the spice of life.
多彩的生活才有情趣。

That worker's not worth his salt.
那个工人不称职。

I feel like a million dollars.
我感觉棒极了。

This problem is a real monkey on my back.
这个问题真让我头疼。

That really fits the bill.
那正合我意。

That worker's not worth his salt.

那个工人不称职。
He must be a terrible worker. We usually say that if somebody is not pulling his own weight. 'Worth his salt' actually comes from the ancient Roman times or maybe even before that when people used salt like money. If you were a worker and worked as a miner or something, they would pay you in salt and you could buy other things through salt. So if you are not worth your salt, you are not worth the money they are paying you. You are not earning your keep. So that means you are not working hard enough or you are not doing your job. If somebody is doing his job or maybe even going the extra mile, you might say he is worth his weight in gold. And that's the opposite.

[ 本帖最后由 Sylvia_scj 于 2008-3-26 08:12 PM 编辑 ]

I feel like a million dollars.

我感觉棒极了。
You might also hear: I feel like a million bucks. Either one can mean you feel great. Of course a million dollars doesn't have any feelings. But, if you had a million dollars or somebody gave you a million dollars, you certainly would feel great. That's what this expression comes from. And you might also hear: you look like a million dollars. That might mean you are wearing a fantastic suit or very elegant dress. And it also might mean you look very healthy; you look vibrant; your skin is glowing; and you look like the perfect picture of health.

I see.

那正合我意。
You found something exactly what you had in mind. It’s perfectly suitable for whatever you are doing. For example, on a Friday night, if you had a long week at work, maybe you don’t want to go out and drink or party or go dancing. Now, someone suggests, “Hey, let’s have a quiet dinner, a nice movie and go home for sleep.” You would say, “Oh! That fits the bill.” Or, you are looking for a cellphone, a new cellphone that does everything you want it to do. It not only sends voice messages, but also sends text messages, or even sends pictures, you would say: The new cellphone really fits the bill. It does exactly what I needed it to do.

"Variety is the spice of life. "I can't agree more

返回列表