听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 阅读提高 » How to be a good manager: Be generous 如何成为一个好的经理:学会慷慨
返回列表 发帖

How to be a good manager: Be generous 如何成为一个好的经理:学会慷慨

导读:本文为如何成为一个受人尊敬的好经理提出了深刻的建议,或许其中的问题就是你现在或将来会遇到的。
难度指数:★★★★☆

There are a lot of rules for first-time managers. For example, never hold a meeting without an agenda, because if you don’t know what you’re going to do there, then no one else will know what you’re doing, either.  But the rule about agendas is a great example, because, like most rules for good management, it is about being kind.

Your job as a manager is to make sure your employees are growing and learning and enjoying their time at work. Bringing them to a meeting without an agenda is wasting their time, and that is disrespectful. A meeting without an agenda is like saying, “My time is so much more important than yours that instead of taking time to prepare, I’m going to figure out what we’re doing in real-time, and you will sit here and watch me.”

So the first rule, and probably the only rule of management, is to be respectful. A lot of questions I get from managers can be answered the same way: ask yourself if you are really being respectful.

Example:
Manager: My employees are totally unmotivated. What can I do?
Advice: Do you give them work that respects their intelligence or is the work you give them crappy?
Manager:  There’s nothing I can do. Someone has to do the low level work.
Advice: People are much more motivated to do totally boring work (as a favor to you) if they feel respected by you in other ways. So give them good mentoring and pay attention to building their skills.

Real managing is about growth and caring. It’s about taking time to see what skills people need to develop to move in the direction they want to move, and then helping them get those skills. This means that you need to sit with the person and find out what matters to them. And then you need to sit with yourself and figure out how you can help the person. Most people don’t see management as listening and thinking, but that’s what it is. Because that’s what caring about someone looks like.

A good manager pops up all the time, just to check in. Not because you are micromanaging and you don’t trust anyone around you. But because you can’t know how to help people if you don’t know how they are doing. And take time to chat when things are going fine, because that’s when it’s clear that you’re just talking because you care as much about the person as the work they’re doing.

Once you get to the point where you are connecting with the people you manage, and you are helping them get what they want from their job, you are in a position to change the world. Really.

All this reminds me of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. As a psychologist, he developed a theory to describe the path people take to address first their core needs, and then eventually to achieve their ultimate need for a life of self-actualization:
Physiological  – food, water, sleep
Safety – security of body, health, resources
Love and belonging – family, friends, sexual intimacy
Esteem – self-confidence, respect of others, respect by others
Self-actualization – morality, creativity, problem solving

So really, management is an opportunity to self-actualize. Some people will self-actualize by being artists, or writing code. Some people will self-actualize through management. Some, a combination.

crappy         adj. 蹩脚的,没有任何价值的
mentor           v.   作为(另一个人)的指导

对于第一次做经理的人来说有很多规则。例如,不要在没有议事日程的情况下开会。因为你不知道你能在会议上做什么,也没有人会告诉你。但是,类似议事日程的规则却是一个很好的例子。因为,就如同大多数出色管理的规则一样,需要做的就是保持仁慈。
      作为经理,你应该保证你的员工获得成长和学习,同时享受着他们的工作。在没有议程安排的情况下开会是在浪费他们的时间,这是无礼的。没有议程的会议就像是对大家说,“我的时间比你们的重要多了,所以与其浪费时间准备还不如看看我们在现实中我们能做些什么,大家坐好,看着我。”
      所以,这是第一条,而且也可能是企业管理的唯一信条,那就是要使自己值得尊敬。很多来自经理方面的问题都可以用同样的答案回答:问一问你自己, 你是值得尊敬的吗?

例如:
经理:我的职员一点都不积极。我该怎么办?
建议:你给他们安排了和他们能力相称的工作了吗?或者说你给他们的工作是一堆垃圾?
经理:没有办法。总要有人做最基层的工作。
我: (对你也是一样的)在某种程度上说,如果人们觉得在某些方面是被你尊重的,他们在做无聊的事情的时候也会是很主动地。所以给他们正确的指导,注意发展他们的长处。

真正的经理是和成长和关怀联系在一起的。他会花时间看看熟悉业务的员工自己需要哪个方向的发展,然后帮助他们获取这些技能。这就意味着你必须坐下和员工交谈找出他们的需求,然后独自思考看看你能怎样帮到他们。大多数人认为管理不在于倾听和思考,但事实上,倾听和思考这才是管理的真正含义所在。因为他关心的是人到底如何了。
      一个好的经理常常冲出办公室,只是为了检查工作。不是因为你的管理很是琐碎,或者是你并不相信周围的人,而是因为如果你不知道他们在做些什么,你就不知道如何帮到他们。当事情进展顺利时,找时间和员工聊聊。因为这时清楚地表明,你关心他们本人和关心他们的工作一样多。
一旦你开始站在这样的立场,了解你所管理的人们,帮助他们在他们的工作中得到他们想拥有的,你便站在可以挑战世界的位置上。这是千真万确的。
      所有的一切都提醒我想起马斯洛的需求层次理论。作为一个心理学家,他发展了一种理论来描述人们走向满足他们的核心需求的道路,最后达到他们实现自我的终极需求。

生理需要----食物,水,睡眠
安全需要----身体安全,健康,资源
爱和归属感需要----家庭,朋友,爱人
自尊需要----自信,尊敬他人,他人尊敬。
自我实现需要-----道德感、创造力, 解决问题能力

所以,管理确实是一个实现自我的机会。有些人通过成为艺术家,作家来实现自我。有些人则通过管理。而有些,则是两者的中和。

返回列表