听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 托福 » TOFEL每日词汇1
返回列表 发帖

TOFEL每日词汇1

Having Faith 信任

You can call me A.J. , which is an abbreviation of my full name, Alexander Justice. 你可以叫我A.J., 这是我的全名Alexander Justice的缩写。

I like to abbreviate my name because it's easier for people to remember.我喜欢缩写我的名字,因为这样人们更容易记忆.

I work for a museum that collects aboriginal artifacts.我在一家收藏土著手工艺品的博物馆工作。

I would like to tellyou why I have an abiding faith in the legal system.我要告诉你为什么我会始终不遇的信任法制。

The story you're about to read has been abridged to reduce its length.下面你将读到的故事已被删剪,以免冗长。

I used to live in an area where criminals abouded and where the legal system seemed powerless.我曾住在一个罪犯多如牛毛而法律又软弱的地区。

One day, mydaughter was abducted.我女儿遭到绑架。

Although I abided by the kidnapper's monetary demands,they refused to release her.尽管我遵从了绑架者的金钱要求,他们仍拒绝释放她。

I had no choice but to put my faith in the legal authorities我别无选择只好寄希望法律

The police responded immediately and searched the area.警察立刻行动全面搜查该地

Despite their lack of success, they refused to abandon their search or to call an abort to their mission .They knew that any abortive action would surely result in my daughter's death.虽然徒劳无获,但他们不愿终止行动放弃搜查,因为他们知道任何失败都将导致我女儿的死亡

The investigation eventually led the police to conduct an abrupt search at the home of a local official who was abashed when he learned of the search.
调查到最后警察部门决定出其不意的搜查当第一名官员的家。那名官员得知被搜查时羞愧难当

My daughter was found in his basement .警察在他的地下室找到了我女儿

She had abrasions to her wrists where the abrasive pope had scraped her.她的手腕有多处磨伤,那是被粗糙的绳子擦伤的

The official was arrested along with his bodyguard who abetted him in the kidnapping.那名官员连同唆使他绑架的保镖双双被捕

The official was forced to abdicate his position and was sent to prison for life.那名官员被迫辞职,判处终身监禁

The judge told him that he was lucky that capital punishment had been abolished and that it was only due to this abolition that he would not be executed.
法官告诉他他该庆幸极刑已被废除,他将免遭处决

The swift apprehension and strict punishment of these criminals helped to abate my lack of faith in the legal system.迅速抓获罪犯并严惩的做法减少了我对法治的不信任感

These days,I truly believe in "justice",and it's not because of my name!
现在,我真正信任“司法”,但并不是因为我的名字叫Justice!

【记单词】

abandon vt. 抛弃,放弃; n. 放纵,沉溺于

abash vt. 使羞愧

abate v. (数量、程度等)减少,减轻,缓解

abbreviate vt. 缩短;缩写

abbreviation n. 缩写,缩写词

abdicate v. 让位,辞职;放弃(权利或责任)

abduct vt. 绑架,拐走

abet vt. 帮助;教唆,唆使;煽动,怂恿

abide vi. 遵守;vt. 忍受

abiding adj. 持久的

abolish vt. 废除,取消

abolition n. 废除,革除

aboriginal adj. 土著的;原来的;土著居民的

abort n. 中止计划(任务)

abortive adj. 失败的,无结果的

abound vi. 充满;富于

abrasion n. 表面磨损

abrasive adj. 研磨的

abridge v. 缩短,删节

abrupt adj. 突然的,意外的

TOFEL每日词汇2

Love of Numbers

As an academician, I think Mathematics is an intriguing and absorbing science. How ever, many of my students consider it an abstract science and they hate it because the equations are too difficult to absorb and to remember. I think my students would laugh if they knew how I became so interest in Math.

When I was a freshman in college, I also believe Math was a mere abstraction. Study it was like falling into a spinning abyss of numbers and symbols. Just thinking about it seems like an abuse of my brain. However, my entire tuition was financed by an academic scholarship, so I have to maintain high marks in all of my classes, including Math.

My most abstruse class was Advanced Calculus Mathematics. It was taught in a large lecture hall which abutted the North access gate of the University. Unlike many absentees in my class who often abstained from attending the boring lectures, I dare not absolve myself from this responsibility. Any degree of absenteeism would cause me to fail Math and to lose my scholarship. I was so afraid of failing that I even pledged abstinence from my abundant supply of alcohol.

It wasn't until the fourth week of Math class when I met the wonderful person who would accelerate my interest and understanding of this absurd subject. She was a foreign exchange student from Beijing. She was also a brilliant mathematician. She would come to the class everday in a coulorful silk scraf that accentuated her lovelt smile.

It was so nice to meet someone from my home country. She inspired me to love Math. Although we now live and teach in different countries, I still see her smiling face between every number I write!

作为一名学者,我认为数学是一门既有趣又引人入胜的科学。然而,我的许多学生却认为这是一门抽象科学,他们憎恨数学,因为数学公式太难理解又太难记住。我想如果我的学生知道我是如何对数学产生兴趣的,一定会哄堂大笑。

上大一时,我也觉得数学无非就是一种抽象,学数学就好像掉进了数字和符号那令人眩晕的深渊。仅仅是思考数学问题似乎都在浪费大脑。但由于我的学费全靠学习奖学金,因此我不得不每门功课都拿高分,这自然也包括数学。

最深奥难懂的课非微积分莫属。当时在一个大讲堂上课,这个课堂紧靠学习北门的入口。班里诸多缺席者常常是刻意回避那些无聊的讲座,我却不敢自作主张的免除听课的责任。旷课次数无论多少都可能导致我数学的不及格,甚至还发誓要对自己充裕的酒类供应加以节制。

数学课上到第四周,我才遇到那位促使为对这门荒谬的学科产生兴趣继而理解它的好人。她是从北京来的交换生,也是一位卓越的数学家。每天她都会系着一条色彩鲜艳的围巾来上课,那条围巾更衬托出她的笑脸。

能遇到同胞真是太好了。她激起了我对数学的热爱。尽管我们现在在不同的国家生活和教学,我仍能在我写下的各个数字间看到她微笑的脸庞!

Words:

absenteeism     n.  旷课,旷工

absentee           n.   缺席者

absolve              v.    宽恕;赦免(罪行、过失等),解除(责任等)

absorb                vt.    吸引(液体、知识等);理解,掌握

absorbing           adj.   吸引人的,引人入胜的

abstain                 v.      自制,自动放弃;戒绝,有意回避

abstinence           n.       自制,节制(禁欲、戒酒等)

abstract                 adj.    抽象的;难解的  ,深奥的

abstraction            n.        抽象概念

abstruse                 adj.     难懂的,深奥的

absurd                    adj.     荒谬的,可笑的

abundant                 adj.     丰富的,充裕的;大量的

abuse                       n.       (权利等的)滥用;(物品等的)不精心使用

abut                          vi.         邻接,毗邻

abyss                        n.          深渊,深坑

academic                 adj.       学术的;学院的;理论的

academician            n.          学会会员;院士;学者

accelerate                 v.          加快,加速;促进,促进。。。早日发生

accentuate                v.          突出,强调

access                       n.          接触,接近(的机会);入口,通道

TOFEL每日词汇3

A Writer's Method

For the last ten years, I have written novels for a living. Through my work, I have been able to accumulate a fair amount of wealth. I have been lucky because many of my books have received acclaim from literary critics.

My latest accomplishment is a mystery novel. It is a fictional account of how a clever and accomplished thief, posing as an accountant, gain access of the computer of a large bank. Having extensive knowledge of accounting, ha and a woman accomplice use the bank's computer system to accomplish the biggest theft in history.

To be a good writer, I think you must find a quiet environment where you can think, preferably one with limited accessibility. Some of my acclaimed work was written at an isolated island hotel off the coast of China. I highly recommend this place.

The island is accessible only by boat and the hotel is accredited by the Asian Resort Association as a five-star accommodation. Upon arrival, the manager will accompany you to your room and show you how everything works. The staff was trained to accommodate your every need. Any errors in service are purely accidental. The security is excellent and there's little chance of being accosted by strangers.

Each room has a balcony with a view of the ocean. On the balcony you will find a large leather chair and a study writting desk. The bathroom is very mordern and contains many unique accessories. The most useful bathtub accessory is their mini-desk, which allows you to write while soaking in a tub of hot water.

To continue being a good writer, you must find a way to relax your mind after a long day of writing. What's my secrets method of relaxtion? Playing the accordion!

过去十年,我以写小说为生。我的写作为我积累了不少的财富。我实属幸运,因为我写的许多作品都得到了文学评论家的赞赏。

我最近的成果是一部侦探小说。其内容实属虚构,讲述一个聪明又老练的小偷如何假扮一名会计、进入一家大银行计算机系统的故事。由于在会计学方面知识的渊博,那名小偷和他的女帮凶运用银行的计算机系统完成了历史上最大一桩盗窃案。

要成为一名好作家,我想你必须找到一处你能思考的安静环境,最好是一处通达有限的地方。我有几本受赞赏的小说就是在中国海岸边一个孤岛上的酒店里创作出来的。我极力推荐此地。

这座小岛只有坐船才能到达,岛上的酒店被亚洲旅游景点协会确定为五星级住所,一到酒店,经理会亲自陪你去房间,然后教你如何使用房间里的设施。酒店人员受过专业训练,能满足你的一切需求。服务上的任何差错都纯属偶然。此地安全性极高,几乎不会有陌生人上来跟你搭讪。

每个房间都有眺望大海的阳台。在阳台上你会看到一把大皮椅和一张结实的书桌。浴室相当现代,里面有许多独特的摆设。其中,浴缸里最有用的摆设是一张迷你桌,有了它你就可以一边泡热水澡一边写作了。

在写了一整天之后,要想继续做一名好作家,你还得有放松大脑的法子。我的放松秘方是什么?拉手风琴。

Words:

accessible            adj.      可接近的,可接触的;可得到的

accessibility           n.         易接近;可到达

accessory               n.          附件,零件;小摆设

accidental                adj.     意外的,偶然的

acclaim                     n.         赞誉,赞许; vt.   喝彩,欢呼;称赞

acclaimed                adj.       受赞誉的

accommodate         vt.          容纳,包含;供应(住宿);使适应;迁就,满足

accommodation      n.          住处,膳宿

accompany              vt.          陪伴,陪同;伴奏

accomplice              n.           同谋者,帮凶

accomplish              vt.          完成,达到,实现

accomplished          adj.       精通的,熟练的

accomplishment      n.          成就

accordion                 n.          手风琴

accost                       v.          向人搭话

account                     n.          记述,描述;报道,报告;说明,解释;户头,账目;理由,根据;考虑

accounting               n.           会计学

accountant               n.           会计员,会计师

accredit                    vt.          委派官员到国外,授权;鉴定....为合格,确认......达到标准

accumulate              vi.           堆积,积累;积聚

TOFEL每日词汇4

The Accused

Bob is an excellent trial lawyer with a superior legal acumen. Unlike many other lawyers that need to use acronym to remember certain legal principles, Bob simply used his photographic memory. What makes Bob even more special is his acute sense of reading people's emotions, especially those of jurors.

Due to his reputation, he is able to acquire the most interesting cases. His jealous competitors often accuse him of being too acquisitive and of taking away their business. But I respect Bob for his many achievements. I remember the first trial he ever did.

Bob was hired by an acquaintance named Jim to defend him against a criminal charge. Jim was accused of intentionally throwing acid on another man's arm in a laboratory where they were both activating chemicals. Jim was adament that the accusation was false. He claimed it was an accident that occurred during an argument. Being a contract lawyer, Bob was not accustomed handling trials in front of a jury. However, he agreed to the acquisition of Jim's case because he strongly believed in Jim's innocence. The thought of an innocent man being convicted of a crime he didn't commit actuated Bob's hidden trial skills.

At the trial, Bob proved that the other man caused his own arm injury by pushing Jim while Jim was working with dangerous chemicals. Bob also proved that the man claimed of an acute injury was false. The actual injury was minor. Bob asked the jury to acquit Jim of all criminal charges. Amazingly, Bob achieved an acquittal for him.

I'll never forget what Bob did for Jim, because I was there. I am Jim. In fact, I still remember the adage Bob used to explain why he took my case for free. He said, "In doing, we learn."

鲍勃是一名出色的辩护律师,他拥有超群的法律才智。许多律师需要用首字母缩写词才能记住某些法律准则,鲍勃则不然,他只需用他那照相机般的记忆就足矣。鲍勃还有更特别的地方,他能敏锐的把握人们的思想感情,尤其是陪审员的思想感情。

他名声大噪,因此总能获得最有意思的案子。那些嫉妒的对手常常指责他贪得无厌的抢走他们的生意。但是我为鲍勃取得的众多成就尊重他。我还记得他出庭参加的第一个审判。

鲍勃受雇于一名叫Jim的熟人,为他遭受的刑事指控案进行辩护。Jim被指控在实验室里故意将酸泼到另一个人的胳膊上,当时两个人正在激活某些化学物。jim坚信这项指控是假的。他声称这是在争执中发生的一场意外。作为一名合同律师,鲍勃不习惯在陪审团面前做辩护。但他还是答应接下jim的案子,因为他坚信jim是清白的。一想到一个无辜的人将因为某须有的罪名而遭判处,鲍勃潜在的辩护能力就被激活了。

法庭上,鲍勃证实了那个人是在jim正在试验危险化学物时推搡了Jim才弄伤自己的。他还证实那个人所谓的重伤是假的,实际上只是轻伤,鲍勃要求陪审团宣告Jim无罪。令人惊讶的是,鲍勃果真为Jim赢得了无罪释放的判决。

我永远不会忘记鲍勃为Jim所做的一切,因为当时我就在现场,我就是Jim。实际上,我仍记得鲍勃在解释为什么为我免费辩护时所用的格言:“实践长才干。”

Words:

accusation          n.         谴责,控告

accuse                vt.         指责,归咎

accustomed       adj.      习惯了的

achieve               vt.         完成,实现;赢得

achievement       n.         成就,功绩

acid                      n.        酸      adj.    尖酸的,刻薄的

acquaintance       n.       熟人

acquire                 vt.       获得,学到

acquisition            n.        获得;收购;接受

acquisitive            adj.      想获得的,贪得无厌的

acquit                    v.          宣告无罪

acquittal                n.          宣判无罪

acronym                n.          用大写字母表示的缩写词

activate                 vt.         刺激,使激活

actual                     adj.      实际的,现行的

actuate                   vt.        开动,促使

acumen                  n.         敏锐,聪明,才智

acute                      adj.       灵敏的,敏锐的;(事情)剧烈的,严重的

adage                     n.          格言,谚语

adament                 adj.       固执的,坚定不移的

TOFEL每日词汇5

Adaptation Is the Key

I must admit, I didn't like Tom in the begining. He live in the house that was adjacent to mine, and I knew he was addicted to painkillers. He had injured his back while building adobe houses in the countryside for the local government administration. The painkillers numbed his back pain and allowed him to continue performing his heavy construction work. However, it wasn't long before he got caught for failing to adhere to the drug laws.

I still recall what the judge told him shortly before he adjourned the court, "You'll either have to adapt to a life without drugs or adjust to living in the prison that adjoins this courthouse." 

I was admittedly upset when the judge asked me to help administer Tom's probation. I felt that the judge was making me an unwilling and unnecessary adjunct to the court system. But I had no choice. I thought to myself, "Adaptation is the key." So I change attitude towards Tom and I soon learned that Tom wad just as adaptable.

Tom heeded the judge's warning. He quit his construction job and stopped using painkillers. He put all of his time and effort into inventing a new adhesive for constructing brick houses. His dedication was admirable. He became quite adept at chemisty and before long, he discovered a key additive that made his glue superior to all another adhesives. 

Now, I greatly admire Tom and he was become a good friend. I guess adaptation really is the key!

我得承认,当初我并不喜欢汤姆。他住在我隔壁,而且我知道他吃止痛药成瘾。他在乡下给当地政府盖泥砖房时伤了后背。止痛药麻木了他的后背,这样他就能继续从事那些繁重的建筑工作。然而不久,他便因不遵守药品法而被捕。

我还记得法官在休庭前对汤姆说的话:“你要么就要适应没有止痛药的生活,要么就得适应与法庭相邻的监狱生活。” 

不可否认,当法官让我协助执行汤姆的缓刑时,我很烦恼。我觉得法官是在把我变成法律制度下的一个极不情愿又不必要的附庸。但我别无选择。我想:“适应是关键。”于是我改变了对汤姆的态度,而且我很快发现汤姆的适应能力很强。

汤姆没把法官的警告当耳旁风。他辞掉了建筑工作,不再使用止痛药,并把全部时间和精力投入到发明盖砖瓦房所需的新型粘合剂中。他全身心的投入令人钦佩。他搞起化学来很有一手,不久他找到了关键的添加剂,加入它以后,他的胶水就成了最好的粘合剂。 

现在,我非常佩服汤姆,我们成为了好朋友。我猜适应真的是关键!

Words:

adapt                  v.           (使)适应,调整;改编

adaptable          adj.        能适应的,适应性强的

adaptation         n.            改编,改写;适应环境

addict                 vt.           使沉溺,使上瘾

addictive            adj.        加法的; n.    添加剂

adept                  adj.        熟练的,擅长的,拿手的,有一手的

adhere                vi.           黏附,粘牢;追随,坚持,遵守

adhesive             n.            粘着物;  adj.  粘着的

adjacent              adj.         接近的,毗连的,临近的

adjoin                  vt.            相邻,毗邻

adjourn                v.            延期,休会

adjunct                n.            附件,附属,附庸

adjust                  vt.            调整,使适应于

administer      vt.            管理

administration      n.           管理,经营;当局,政府

admirable             adj.        值得称赞的,令人钦佩的

admire                  vt.            钦佩,崇拜;欣赏

admit                     vt.           准许进入;承认

admittedly             adv.        公认地;诚然地,无可否认地

adobe                    n.            泥砖,土坯房 

TOFEL每日词汇6

Christmas  圣诞节

I'm a big advocate of Chistmas celebrations. It'll still my favorite time of year. Although China doesn't adopted this special holiday, there's still hope. With the advent of China's membership in the WTO, Chinese will be exposed to a number of Western holidays. I guess is that they will adore Christmas.

My strong affinity for Chritmas comes from my childhood days. In my hometown, we would prepare for Christmas by buying a big Christmas tree. If we feeling a big more adventurous, we would hike up the mountain and find one on our own. Adorning the tree is the next step. We'd use all kinds of adornment to decorate the tree, from pinecones and candy coated angels to colourful Christmas balls and fake icicles. My dad was specially adroit at making small hand-painted ornaments. Since my dad's company was affiliated with a light bulb company, he was also able to bring home the most beautiful and colourful Christmas lights.

After decorating the tree, we would make small Gingerbread houses out of bread and candy. These houses were aesthetic but not edible. It was always advisable to keep these appetizing houses out of reach of young children.

There is no adversity on Christmas day. Even the soldiers are adverse to fighting.Everyone is affable. Lover are specially affectionate and they ofter show their affection by giving each other romantic gifts. Children usually receive toys as gifts. But my most memorable gift was not a toy. It was an aquarium, complete with an air pump to aerate the water. Raising all those fish was such an adventure for me.

What is my favorite holiday? All of these wonderful thoughts lead me to affirm that Christmas is without doubt the best time of year.

我是圣诞节庆祝活动的坚决拥护者,一年中我最喜欢的日子仍是圣诞节。尽管它还没有被接纳为中国的特别节日,希望还是有的。随着中国加入WTO之日的到来,中国人将面临许多西方节日。我猜他们会非常喜欢圣诞节。

我对圣诞节的喜爱源于童年时代。在我的家乡,准备过节时,我们会买来一颗高大的圣诞树。如果想来点冒险的,我们会爬上山亲自找一颗圣诞树。下一步是装饰圣诞树。我们会用各种各样的装饰品来装饰它,从松果、包着糖果的天使到花花绿绿的圣诞球和假冰柱。我爸爸尤其擅长做些手工上色的小装饰品。由于爸爸的公司隶属于一个灯泡厂,他还能将最漂亮、最鲜艳的圣诞灯带回家。

装饰完圣诞树后,我们就用面包和糖果做些姜汁面包屋。这些小屋子只可用作美学欣赏,不能吃。因此,把这些小屋子放到孩子们可望不可及的地方向来是明智之举。

圣诞节没有苦难,即使是士兵也反对打仗,人人都是一团和气。恋人间更是洋溢着温情,他们常常来互赠浪漫的礼物来表达爱慕。孩子们收到的礼物通常是玩具。但最让我难忘的礼物不是玩具,而是一个带空气泵、能通气的鱼缸。对我来说,养鱼真是一次冒险。

我最喜欢什么节日?所以这些美好的回忆让我肯定地回答:毫无疑问,圣诞节是一年中最美好的日子。

Words:

adopt             vt.            采用,采纳;收养

adore             v.             崇拜,崇敬;极喜爱

adorn             vt.             装饰

adornment      n.            装饰,装饰品

adroit               adj.         熟练的,灵巧的

advent              n.           (尤指不寻常的人或事)出现,到来

adventure         n.           冒险经历

adventurous        adj.      喜欢冒险的,敢做敢为的

adverse              adj.        负面的,不利的;敌对的

adversity             n.          不幸,灾难

advisable            adj.       可取的,明智的

advocate             n.          提倡者,主张者;vt.   拥护,主张

aerate                  v.          充气,让空气进入,(水、饮料等)加气

aesthetic             adj.       审美的,美学的

affable                 adj.        易接近的,和蔼可亲的;亲切友善的,慈祥的

affection              n.          友爱,挚爱,情爱

affectionate        adj.        亲爱的,挚爱的

affiliate                vt.           使隶属于;使接纳成为成员

affinity                  n.            密切关系;吸引,喜爱

affirm                   vt.            断言;证实

TOFEL每日词汇7

Another Day, Another Dollar  多上一天班,就多挣一美元

Life as a newspaper reporter can be aggravating. Every morning at 5 a.m. , there's a staff meeting where the managing editor goes through his agenda for the day. He's not at all agreeable in the morning. In fact, he's akin to a grouchy bear. Oh does he love to agitate us! I drink coffee to calm my nerves but sometimes it just aggravates my stomach.

"Jim, you'll be covering the recent acts of aggression in the Middle East. We can't afford to ignore this important development. You need to be airborne and on your way to the Middle East within the hour."

"Jane, come in here, you're late. Don't leave the door ajar, this is a private meeting. I need you to get a copy of that new alien alert from the Immigration Department. The aggregate number of aliens in this country is growing, but it seems to me that such an alert will only serve to alienate our own minority groups.'

"Sam, you're the most agile of us all. Use your agility to catch up with the world-class runners who are in town for maraton. Come on Sam, don't agonize your assignment, just do it. "

"Mary, the children in Central Africa are afflicted with an unknown disease. It's not just an ailment. It's something far more serious. Hey, stop looking so aghast, you don't need go there. Just find out the source of the affliction and write a report on it by this afternoon. By the way, I think you should quit drinking coffee, it does nothing to calm your nerves! "

Oh well, I guess I better get going. Can I afford to quit this wonderful job? Not today.

报社记者的生活时常相当恼人。每天早上五点有一次全体员工会议,会上主编会一一讲述当天的日程安排。早上的主编根本谈不上和蔼可亲。 实际上,他就像头爱发脾气的狗熊。噢,他偏偏要弄得我们狂躁不安!我喝点咖啡以镇静神经,但有时咖啡又会加剧我的胃痛。

“吉姆,你去报道最近在中东发生的侵略行为。我们可担不起错过这一重大进展的后果。一小时以内你必须坐上飞往中东的飞机。”

“进来,简,你迟到了。别开着门,这是私人会议。我要你从移民局搞一份最新的外侨警报。这个国家的外侨总人数不断增长,但我看这种警报只会疏远本地的少数群体。”

“山姆,你是我们所有人当中最灵敏的。运用你的灵敏劲去报道城里世界级马拉松参赛选手的最新情况。好了,山姆,用不着为这点任务弄得痛苦不堪,就动手干吧。”

“玛丽,中非儿童正经受不明病症的折磨。那还不是小病小恙,而是很严重的某种疾病。喂,你别目瞪口呆的,你又不用去中非。你只需找出痛苦的原由,然后在今天下午前写一篇报道就行了。对了,我想你该戒掉喝咖啡的习惯,咖啡根本不能镇静你的神经。”

哎,我想我得去干活了。我能舍得辞去这份好工作吗?今天可不行。

Words:

afflict               vt.       折磨;使苦恼

affliction          n.         痛苦,苦恼

afford              vt.         买得起;担负的起(损失、后果等);足以;提供

agenda           n.         日程,议程

aggravate       vt.         使恶化,使加重

aggravating     adj.      恼人的,讨厌的

aggregate        n.         聚集体,聚集物

aggression       n.        进攻,侵略

aghast               adj.      惊骇的,吓呆的

agile                  adj.       敏捷的,活泼轻快的

agility               n.            敏捷,活泼

agitate             v.             鼓动,煽动;使激动,使恼怒;使狂躁不安;使焦虑

agonize            vt.           使受苦(身体上);使苦闷(精神上)

agreeable        adj.         (指计划等)使人愉快的,合意的;容易相处的

ailment             n.             疾病(尤指小病,轻病)

airborne           adj.          空气传播的;空运的;空降的;搭乘飞机的

ajar                   adj.          (门窗等)微开的

akin                  adj.           同类的,近似的,有密切关系的,相近的

alert                  adj.           机敏的; vt. 警报;使随时掌握,了解;n. 警戒,警报

alien                 adj.           奇怪的;陌生的;外国的,外侨的; n. 外国人,外侨

alienate            v.               使疏远,离间

TOFEL每日词汇8

Lesson 8 Funny Things Happen  趣事发生

Yesterday, I decided to get my pants altered. I had $200 in my wallet, which was more than enough for the alteration. Foolishly however, I got lost taking an alternate route to the tailor shop. Fortunately, I had aspirin to alleviate my headache.

Walking further, I noticed a red balloon aloft, rising to the higher altitude. It distracted me, causing me to bump into two young brothers. They look alike but seemed opposite in personality. One was clearly aloof but the other appeared to be an altruistic individual. He could sense I was lost and happily gave me directions. Such altruism is so rare there days. What an ally he can be to a lost person! The contrast in their personalities reminded me of the biblical allegory of Cain and Abel. But it would be too hasty to allege such a contrast given that I didn't really know them.

I continued on my way but was allured into a bike shop by a windown photo of a lovely girl on a mountain bike. Below the photo, it said, "ride rough, ride real," a clever alliteration. I felt there was no alternative but to enter the shop.

The ower was an alumnus from my university. He alluded that the best bike for me would be the $200 bike that was displayed in the window photo. It was made out of a special lightweight alloy. He also offered to adjust my tire alignment for free.

Well, I didn't make it to the tailor that day. But I did ride home on a new bike. As for my pants? Well, the bike shop owner cut the pant legs off for free. Now I have a cool pair of shorts for riding.

昨天,我决定去裁缝店改裤子。我钱包里有200美金,改条裤子是绰绰有余了。但我在另选路线去裁缝铺时竟傻巴拉叽的迷路了。幸好我带着阿司匹林,头痛才得以减轻。

往前走不远,我注意到一只红气球飘在空中,它越飞越高。我盯着气球出神,不小心跟两个小兄弟撞了个满怀。他们长的很像,但性格迥异:一位是明显的不关心,另一位看起来则是个利他主义者。他能感到我迷路了,便欣然为我指路。这种利他主义现在实属罕见。对一位迷途者而言,他可谓盟友了!二人性格的反差让我想起来《圣经》里该隐和亚伯的寓言。不过,我并不真正了解他们,所以当下断言二人性格如该隐和亚伯那般迥异未免过于草率。

我继续往前走,不一会儿,我在一家自行车商店的橱窗里看见一张骑山地车的美女照片。在照片的诱惑下,我走进了这家商店。照片下有一行字:“骑山地才是真我体验。”很聪明的押头韵嘛。我觉得除了走进商店外无别的选择。

店主是我所在大学的校友。他暗示到,最适合我的自行车就是橱窗照片上价值200美元的那辆。它用一种特殊的轻型合金制成。他还提出为我免费调整轮胎,使之成直线排列。

这样一来,那天我就没能去成裁缝店。不过,我确实骑着一辆崭新的自行车回家。至于我得裤子嘛,自行车店的店主免费帮我剪短了。现在我就有了一条骑车时的酷酷短裤啦!

Words:

alignment          n.       成一条直线;直线排列;队列;联合,联盟

alike                  adj.    相同的,相似的

allege                 v.        宣称,主张,断言

allegory              n.        寓言

alleviate             v.         缓和,减轻

alliteration          n.         头韵

alloy                    n.         合金;vt. 使成合金

allude                  v.         间接提到,暗指

allure                   v.          引诱 n.  诱惑,吸引

ally                       n.          联盟,同盟者

aloft                      adv.      在高处;在空中

aloof                     adj.        远离的,冷淡的,漠不关心的

alter                      vt.           改变,修改

alteration              n.           变更,改造

alternate               adj.         交替的,轮流的;替代的,另选的;vi. 轮流,交替

alternative            adj.         (两种或以上的东西中)另一可选的,另外的;n. 可选事物,另一选择

altitude                 n.             (海拔)高度

altruism                n.             利他主义

altruistic               adj.          利他的,无私的

alumnus               n.              男校友

[ 本帖最后由 Sunday7 于 2009-8-17 04:55 PM 编辑 ]

TOFEL每日词汇9

The Speech and the Vote 演讲与表决

Good morning everyone. I'd like to make a new remarks. Let me start by saying, I think the merger is a good idea. If we amalgamate our two businesses, we can creat a more powerful one. With our increased size and financial power, we can amass new investors and raise ample funds to renovate the old hotel. We can attracts more guests by adding amenities, like a swimming pool, and planting more greenery to creat a peaceful ambience. To make it ever more special, we can build a special walkway that will allow people to amble amid the trees. The result of our ambitious project will amaze the community.

After we finish the renovations, we can take photos and post them on our Internet site. My brother is an amateur photographer and a very amenable individual. I'm sure he won't charge us for taking photos, as long as we keep the amount of photos down to a reasonable number.

then, before openning the hotel, we'll need to hire and train a new staff of amicable people. We don't want anyone who is ambivalent towards the concept of "personal services'. Such ambivalence is bad for business. We want people who are hardworking and amiable. We'll also need a manager who has enough ambition to keep the hotel running efficiently.

Okay. Thoes of you suffering from temporary amnesia, recall that we must vote to amend the company's by-laws before we can initiate the merger of our two companies. So let's vote. Everyone in favor of the amendment, say "aye!"

诸位早上好,我来说几句。首先, 我认为合并是件好事。如果将我们两家小企业合并起来,就能创造出一个实力更为雄厚的大企业。随着企业规模的扩大和资金力量的增强,我们将征集新的投资者,筹集到足够的资金,将我们的饭店整修一新。为了吸引更多的客人,我们还有添置游泳池等娱乐设施,多种花草树木,营造出一个安静祥和的氛围。为了让饭店变得更为独特,我们可以在树林里修一条走道,这样客人就能在林中漫步了。这一雄心勃勃的项目定能创造出令世人惊叹的成果。

整修完毕后,我们可以拍些照片放到网上。我哥哥是名业余的摄影师,又是个言听计从的人。我相信他一定会为我们免费拍照,只要照片数量合理就行。

然后,在开放新饭店之前,我们需要召集一些有善的新员工,并对其进行培训。我们不会聘用任何对“个人服务”这一概念持矛盾态度的人,因为这种矛盾态度对饭店经营不利。我们需要既勤劳又和气的人。我们还需要一位经理,他应该有足够的雄心壮志,使饭店高效运作。

好了,那些患暂时性健忘的人要记住再两家企业搞合并之前,我们必须要以投票方式修改公司章程,所以现在进行表决。所有赞成修改章程的,请说“赞成”!

Words:

amalgamate              v.         混合,合并

amass                        vt.        收集,积聚

amateur                      adj.     业余的 n. 业余爱好者

amaze                         vt.        使吃惊,使惊叹

ambience                    n.         周围环境,气氛

ambition                      n.          雄心,抱负

ambitious                    adj.       有雄心的,渴望成功的

ambivalence               n.          矛盾心理

ambivalent                   adj.       有矛盾心理的

amble                            vi.         漫步,缓行

amenable                     adj.       经得起检验的;顺从,应服从的

amend                          vt.          修正,改正

amendment                  n.           修正,改正

amenity                         n.           amenities (常做复数)生活福利设施,文娱康乐场所,方便设施

amenity                            (不可数名词),愉快,惬意

amiable                        adj.         亲切的,和蔼可亲的

amicable                      adj.          友善的,和平的,和睦的

amid                              prep.       在。。。。中

amnesia                        n.             健忘症

amount                          n.              量,总和;vi. 总计,等于

ample                            adj.           富足的,充足的

[ 本帖最后由 Sunday7 于 2009-8-22 05:07 PM 编辑 ]

TOFEL每日词汇10

A Search Back in Time  搜寻历史

I often wondered my ancestry. I knew that my angular face and large eyes came from my father's Spanish ancerstors.  But what did they do for a living?

My father, who is very animated, would try to satisfy my curiosity by telling me funny anecdotes about his father and grandfather. His stories were often intriguing, but the information I wanted had to be more than anecdotal. So one day, I went to the library and searched through the annals of Spanish history.

I found a good book that thoroughtly analyzed the relevant time period and amplified its analysis with charts and illustrations. In it, I discovered several interesting historical figures who shared my surname, Sierra.

One was an anarchist. He worte books in which he expressed his belief and society in the rural areas should be allowed to exist without a government. He believed that the government was purposely creating a fear of anarchy merely to justify its first taxes on rural area farmars.

Another Sierra is a Doctor of anatomy. He was credited fot inventing the first anesthetic. The anesthesia allowed him to operate on his patients without causing pain.

The most interesting Sierra was a former high-ranking official who worked in an ancillary department of the central Spanish government. He spent most of his life protecting the Spanish military's efforts to annihilate and annex samller and weaker countries overseas. From the government's point of view, his protests were analogous to treason, and they sentenced him to a life of auguish in prison.

From this research, I was able to see many analogies between the characteristics of my ancestors and my own personality. It made me feel very proud to be a Sierra!

我时常对我的祖先们很好奇。我知道自己棱角分明的脸和一双大眼睛来着父亲的西班牙祖先。但他们到底是做什么工作来维持生活的呢?

我那天性活泼的父亲常常说些关于他父亲和祖父的趣闻轶事来满足我的好奇心。他讲的故事大多很有意思,但我需要的不仅仅是轶事风格的信息。于是有一天,我去了家图书馆,搜寻关于西班牙历史的记载。

我找到一本透彻分析相关年代的好书,书中附有多种图表,从而对其所作的分析做了更为详尽的阐述。在这本书里,我发现了几位有趣的历史人物,他们与我同姓,都叫席埃拉。

有一位席埃拉是名无政府主义者。在他的著作中,农村社会可以以无政府状态存在的观念。他认为政府故意引起人们对无政府主义的恐惧,不过是为了证明政府向农民征收重税有理。

另一位席埃拉是名解剖学博士。他被誉为发明麻醉药的第一人。在麻醉作用下,他可以为病无痛做手术。

最轰轰烈烈的席埃拉是一位曾在西班牙中央政府辅助部门工作的高层官员。他一生中大半时间都在抗议西班牙灭亡和吞并海外弱小国家的军事行径。从政府角度看,他的抗议罪等同叛国,于是他被判入狱,过着生不如死的痛苦生活。

从这次研究中,我发现我得性格同我的祖先有许多相似之处。我很骄傲我是个席埃拉!

Words:

amplify            vt.        放大;扩大;增强;详述

analogous       adj      类似的

analogy             n.       类比,类推;类似物

analysis             n.       分析;分析报告

analyze              vt.       分析,分解

anarchist           n.        无政府主义者

anarchy              n.        无政府,混乱

anatomy             n.        解剖;解剖学

ancerstor            n.       祖先,祖宗

ancerstry             n.        (总称)祖先,列祖列宗;家族,血统

ancillary              adj.        辅助的

anecdotal           adj.        趣闻的,多轶事趣闻的;具有轶事形式(风格)的

anecdote            n.            短故事,轶事

anesthesia          n.           麻醉

anesthetic            n.          麻醉剂,麻药

anguish                 n.          极度的痛苦,苦闷

angular                  adj.       有角的,尖角的

animated              adj.         活泼的,有生气的

annals                   n.            编年史;历史记载,历史

annex                    vt.           兼并,附加

annihilate              vt.            消灭,消减

Lesson 11 Time Not Lost  时间没白费

I first met her at the university 8 years ago. My major was anthropology and her was history. We fell in love and wed, but three months later, she announced her intention to annul the marriage. She said that I never seemed interested in talking about history and that my apathy annoyed her. She moved away and I never anticipated seeing her again.

Then, I ran into her last year while attending an annual convention at the University. She had passed to me an anonymous note that simply said,"look behind you." I had no idea it would be her.

Now, she teaches an American History class at the University. She stimulates interest in history by taking her students to historic sites and having them experience antiquity in person. It thrills them to annotate their textbooks with first-hand information. Her anomalous teaching method draws a large number of students.

Last month, I joined her class for a trip to a house that antedated the American Civil War. We were fascinated by the antiquated furniture and the post-war antiques. In one room, I found a rusty bronze music box that plays the National anthem. In the bedroom, I found a hand-sewn book containing an anthology of civil war poems. In the bathroom, I discovered a pair of hand-blown glass bottles used for storing antibiotic pills and antiseptic. Perhaps the most interesting piece was an old box-styled camera, one of the first to use an aperture. It still worked.

I never realized how interesting History could be. For that, I must thank my former wife, or should I say, my present wife. They are now one and the same!

8年前的大学时代,我遇到了她。我得专业是人类学,她的专业是历史。我们相恋结婚,但是婚后三个月,她宣布想取消这场婚姻。她说我对谈论历史毫无兴趣可言,而我的冷漠令她烦恼。她搬走了,我也没指望能再见到她。

然后,去年我在参加学校年会时邂逅了她。她让人递给我一张匿名纸条,上面就写了一句:“往后看。”我压根没想到是她。

现在,她在这所大学里教美国历史。她实属历史教授的另类。她带领学生参观历史古迹,让学生亲自感受什么是古老,从而激发他们对历史的兴趣。学生们兴奋于有第一手资料注解他们的课本。她那不同寻常的教学方式吸引了大批学生。

上个月,我参加了他们班组织的一次参观美国内战前一所老房子的活动。我们被古色古香的家具和各式战后古董所吸引。我再房间里发现一个沾满铜锈但是能唱国歌的音乐盒。在卧室里,我找到了一本用手工针线装订成册的内战诗集。在浴室里,我发现了一对装抗生素片和防腐剂的自制玻璃瓶。也许最有趣的东西是一个古老的盒式相机,这也是最早使用光圈相机之一。它还能拍照片呢!

我从前从未意识到历史会如此有趣。这一点,我要感谢我的前妻,或者说我的现任妻子。她们是同一人!

Words:

annotate          v.        注解,注释

announce         vt.        宣布,发表,通告

annoy                vt.         使恼怒;打扰

annual               adj.       每年的

annul                  v.          废除,取消

anomalous        adj.       异常的,反常的,不规则的

anomaly             n.          异常,不规则;异常的人或事

anonymous        adj.       匿名的

antedate             v.          发生于(存在于)。。。以前,(时间上)前于;提早日期

anthem                n.          圣歌,赞美歌

anthology             n.          诗集,文选

anthropology       n.           人类学

antibiotic              adj.        抗菌的,抗生的

anticipate             vt.           预期,预料

antiquated           adj.         陈旧的,过时的;古老的,年老的

antique                 n.            古董;adj.   古时的,陈旧的

antiquity                n.            古迹;古物;古代,古老

antiseptic              n.            杀菌剂,防腐剂

apathy                    n.            冷漠,无兴趣

aperture                  n.           开口,孔;(照相机等的)孔径,光圈

插队
这个帖子好唉
要是有个专门的word文档下载就好了

原帖由 maopaihuo_211 于 2009-9-18 06:32 PM 发表
插队
这个帖子好唉
要是有个专门的word文档下载就好了

这个我建议你不要记着全都DOWN下来,最好是一篇一篇慢慢学。渗透入敌方内部。

提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽

好,以后我就在这里发了。

Lesson 12 What Job Do I Want?  我想做什么工作?

Words:

aphorism           n.          警句,格言

apology              n.           道歉,歉意

apotheosis         n.           神化,典范

appall                  vt.          使惊骇,使恐怖

appeal                 n.           吸引力;vi.  呼吁,恳求;上诉,申诉

appease              vt.          使平静,满足

appetite                n.           胃口,食欲

applaud                vi.           喝彩,欢呼;称赞,赞成

appliance              vt.          用具,器具

applicant                n.           申请人

application             n.            申请;施用,运用

apply                      vt.            应用,适用;vi. 申请

appoint                   vt.            任命,选派

apportion                vt.            (按比例或计划)分配

apposite                  adj.         适当的,恰当的

appraisal                 n.             评估,评价

appraise                  v.              估计,评价

appreciable             adj.          (数量或变化等)很大的,足以感受到或产生影响的,值得重视的

appriciate                 vt.             赏识,鉴赏;感激;(充分)意识到;领会,体会,觉察;充分理解

appreciation             n.              欣赏;口味,兴趣

apprehend                v.               逮捕;领会,理解;忧虑,畏惧

Have you heard of the aphorism, "Procrastination is the thief of time'? I think it applies to me. I need to thinking about a job for which I have apposite skills. I think it would appease my parents if I do so this summer. Otherwise, I'll have to make an applogy to them for brrowing money again.

Should I be a chef? It would be fun to appease the appetite of hungry people. But I don't even know how to operate the simply appliances in my kitchen!

Maybe I can appraise property for a real estate company. How hard can it be to make an appraisal? But I'd have to be good at observing the appreciable differences between various properties.

Perhaps I should be a criminal lawyer. I could use my big sad eyes to appeal to the judge for mercy. However, I don't think my parents would appreciate my choice. Defending murderers and thieves would appall them.

What about being a pliceman! I could apprehend crinimals and put them in prison. I can imagine the warm feeling of appreciation I would get for saving someone's life. On second thought, I don't think I can be an applicant for a position that involves guns.

I could be a politician. I'd have the power to appoint people to positions of importance. But then I'd have to make really difficult decisions like how to apportion our limited water supply.

What I'd really to be is an NBA basketball player like Michael Jordan. He's the apotheosis of athletes. Everyone applaunds his amazing skills. But I should be more realistic, shouldn't I?

I think I better start with a simpler job. This summer, I'll submit an application to McDonald!

你听说过“拖延是盗窃时间的盗贼”这句格言吗?我想这句话对我来说是非常适用。我得开始考虑我能胜任的适当工作了。我想如果我今年夏天就开始考虑,父母一定会倍感宽慰。否则,我就得为再次向他们借钱而道歉。

我该做个厨师吗?满足饥饿者的胃口会很有趣。但我连自家厨房里最简单的用具都不会使!

也许我可以为一家房地产公司做资产评估。做评估有什么难的?不过,我得有本事观察出不同财产间的明显差别。

也许我该做个刑事律师。我可以用我那双忧郁的大眼睛来恳求法官的宽恕。但父母不会理解我的选择。为杀人犯和小偷辩护会使他们吓得魂不附体。

当个警察怎么样?我可以逮捕小偷,把他们关进监狱。我能想象到在挽救某人性命后备受感激的温暖感觉。考虑再三,我想我还是别申请要使枪的工作为好。

我可以做个政治家。我将拥有任命重要官职的权利。但我还得做出一些确实困难的决定,比如如何分配我们有限的水资源供应量。

我的真实想法是成为迈克.乔丹式的NBA篮球选手。乔丹是所有运动员的完美典范。每个人都为他惊人的球技欢呼。不过我应该现实些,对吧?

我想我还是先干点容易的活算了。今年夏天,我会像麦当劳递一份求职申请.

分开发的话应该好找些

Lesson 13 A Tough Case 棘手的个案

Words:

apprehension          n.          担心,害怕;理解

apprehensive          adj.        恐惧的,忧虑的,担心的

approach                 n.            方法;   vt. 接近,靠近;探讨

appropriate             adj.         适当的,恰当的;vt. 拨款

approve                   vt.            批准;vi. 赞成,同意

approval                   n.            赞成,正式批准

approximate             v.            接近,近似;adj. 大约的,估计的

apt                             adj.         (习性)易于。。。的,有。。。倾向的,善于的;恰当的,贴切的

aptitude                    n.             才能;自然倾向

aquatic                     adj.           水生的,水栖的,水中或水上的

aquarium                  n.              水族馆

arable                        adj.           适于耕作的,可耕的

arbitrary                     adj.           专横的,专制的,武断的

arbitrator                   n.               仲裁者

arbitration                  n.               调停,仲裁

arboreal                    adj.             树栖的;树的;乔木的

archaic                       adj.            古代的,古老的,陈旧的,过时的

archetype                   adj.             原型,典型

ardent                         adj.             热烈投入的,极热心的

ardor                           n.                激情,狂热

arduous                      adj.              费力的,艰难的

For the last 20 years, I've worked as a arbitrator of disputes involving land. Arbitration is an arduous process that requires patience. Both parties in a dispute are typically ardent about their opinions. It's this state of ardor that makes it difficult to approach a satisfactory solution. Fortunately, I have the aptitude for understand's people's needs and finding an appropriate solution that satisfies the approximate requirements of both sides.

The parties who approve me to judge their case know that I'm apt to make a fair and reasonable decision, not an arbitray one. This knowledge tends to lower the apprehension of both parties. I find that if the parties are less apprehensive, they are more cooperative. But no case is easy. There's always a sticking point.

Presently, I'm working on a dispute between an old farmer and the government. The old farmer owns a piece of arable land on which he has grown fruit trees for 25 years. He wants to keep his land just as it is, not only because of his trees , but also due to the arboreal life it supports. The government believes that the old man's farming methods are archaic and not a productive use of the land. They want approval to use farmer's land to build a huge high-tech public aquarium. They want to display unique aquatic creatures to help educate the public. The government plans to make this project the archetype for all future public aquariums.

Well, it's going to be a tough case. In fact, it may be my toughest case yet.

我已做了2年的仲裁者,我的工作是解决涉及土地的争端。仲裁工作是个需要耐心的艰难过程,争执双方总是热切的阐述自己的观点,正是这份热切才使得双方很难探讨一个令人满意的解决方案。幸亏我有这方面的才能,总能善解人意,找到合适的解决办法,方才大致上满足了双方的要求。

凡赞成让我裁决个案的利益双方都明白,我善于做出公正、合理的决定,绝不会武断的下结论。这一认识常常能减少争执双方的担忧。我发现争执双方越不担忧,就越容易合作。但没有一个个案是容易解决的,仲裁中总有症结。

现在,我正着手解决一个老农与政府直接的争端。那位老农拥有一片可耕地,他在这片土地上种了25年的果树。他想保持这片土地的现有状态,不仅为他的果树,还为生活在树上的所有生物。政府则认为那位老农的耕作方法太过时,没能有效利用土地。他们希望获得批准,在这片土地上建一座大型的高科技公共水族馆,馆内将展示独特的水生动物,以教育公众。政府计划使这一项目成为今后所有水族馆的典范。

这将是个棘手的案子。实际上,这可能是我经历过的最难解决的案子

TOFEL每日词汇14

Lesson 14 The Way Home 回家的路

Words:

aria                n.          独唱曲,咏唱调

arid               adj.       干旱的

aristocrat      n.          贵族

arithmetic      n.          算术

armament      n.          军备,武器

armor              n.          装甲;装甲车

aroma             n.          香气,芬芳,芳香

aromatic         adj.       芬芳的

arouse             vt.         刺激,激起;唤醒

array                n.          展示,陈列;一系列 an array of 一系列

arrogant           adj.        傲慢的,自大的

arsenal             n.           兵工厂,军械库

arthritis             n.           关节炎

article                n.           论文,文章;物品,条款

articulate           vt.          清楚的讲话,清晰的发音

artificial              adj.       人造的,人工的;虚假的,矫揉造作的

artisan                n.          手工业工人,手艺人

ascend               vi.         (渐渐的)升高,上升

ascent                n.            攀登,上升

ascetic               n.            苦行者,禁欲者;adj.  禁欲的,苦行的

asceticism         n.             禁欲主义

It seemed like a long ascent to the top. The mountain appreared barren, as though it had suffered through many years of arid climate. I had no idea why I have to climbing this mountain. All I could recall was that I had been reading a fascinating artical about climbing. But with my arthritis, how could I possibly make it to the top?

Despite my confusion, I ascended the mountain. After what seemed like an hour, I stumbled across a small artificial structure. It was hidden behind a large rocks. I was shocked to discover that it was an arsenal containing an array of antiquated armor and armament. All of it appeared to be handmade, probably by a 17th century artisan. It was a bit scray, so I left quickly and continued my acsent.

Further up, I ran into a man dressed like an aristocrat. He was articulating some kind of ancient arithmetic. His presence aroused my curiosity. I asked him what he was doing on the mountain. He rudely responded,"don't you know where you are?" What an arrogant man, I thought to myself.

After what felt like another hour, I spotted a small cave. I found an old monk living inside. Foolishly, I offered him some wine. I should have known that monks practice asceticism. But he wasn't offended. He simply smile and said,"I am indeed an ascetic person."

I told the monk that I was tired and missed my home."Open your eyes" he whispered."You are already home."

Suddenly, I began to hear the sound of my favorite aria. I could sense the aroma of a familiar aromatic substance. It was followed by a familiar voice.

"Wake up" my wife said. "Here's your coffee! You're late for work."

登上山顶的路好长好长。这座山看起来光秃秃的,似乎饱受了常年的干旱天气。我不知道自己为什么要爬这座山。我只记得当时我正在读一篇关于登山的精彩文章。但我患有关节炎,怎么可能爬上山顶呢?

糊里糊涂中,我开始登山。约莫一小时后,我跌跌撞撞地走过一个藏在大石块后的小型人造建筑物。我愕然发现这竟是个军械库,里面存放着全系列的古老盔甲武器。这里的一切似乎都是手工制作的,很可能出自一位17世纪工匠之手。这里怪恐怖的,我很快就离开了,继续我的攀登。

我继续往上走,遇到了一位穿戴类似贵族的男人。他正清清楚楚地讲着什么古老算术。他的存在引起了我的好奇,我便问他在山上做些什么。他粗鲁的回答到:“难道你不知道自己在哪吗?”这人真够傲慢的,我想。

又过了大约一个小时,我发现了一个小山洞,洞里住这个老和尚。我竟傻巴拉叽的请他喝葡萄酒。我应该知道和尚奉行禁欲主义,还好他没有生气。他只是笑了笑,说道:“我是个真正的禁欲主义者。”

我告诉那和尚我好累、好想家。“睁开你的眼睛k。”他悄悄说道,“你到家了。”

我突然听到我最喜欢的咏唱调,又问道熟悉的料散发出的芬芳。然后,一个熟悉的声音说话了。

“醒醒吧!”妻子说到,“这是你的咖啡,你上班要迟到了。”

TOFEL每日词汇15

Lesson 15 Aspirations Gone Astray 走入歧途的理想

Words:

ascribe
vt.
….归于

aspect
n.
(问题等的)方面;(事物等的)一部分

aspersion
n.
诽谤,中伤
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img][/img]
aspire
vi.
渴望

aspiring
adj.
有抱负的,有理想的,积极向上的

aspiration
n.
雄心,抱负

assail
v.
(身体上)攻击,(言语上)攻击,批评

assassin
n.
刺客

assassinate
vt.
暗杀,行刺

assault
n.
(武力上的)袭击;(口头上的)攻击

assay
v.
化验

assemble
vt.
集合,装配; vi. 聚集

assembly
n.
集会;参加集会的人们(译成:。。。大会,。。。议会);装配,安装

assembly line
装配线,流水线

assert
vt.
声称,坚持,斩钉截铁地说

assess
vt.
估计,分析,评估

asset
n.
assests 财产,资产;优势,重要的品质;宝贵(或有益)的人(或东西)

assignment
n.
任务,作业;分配

assimilate
vt.
学习,吸收(知识);吃,吸收(食品或营养)

assist
vt.
援助,帮助

assistant
n.
助手,助教;adj. 辅助的,助理的

I work in an assembly line in a car factory. Most days, I just assemble car parts. Occasionally, they’ll ask me to assay an unknown drugs substance. Once in a while, I’ll be asked to assist with breaking up a fight. Assault is not common here. But now and then, a frustrated worker will assail his assistant by casting aspersions on some aspect of the other’s work. I’m considered an asset in my company. But before 20 years ago, I was a different kind of asset to an entirely different type of company.

They called it “the company” but it was really a secret government group trained to assassinate political leaders. I never aspired to be an assassin. In fact, I was an aspiring chemist and a regular soldier in the army. All I really wanted was to do something great or important for my country. But sometimes, having too great an aspiration can lead you astray.

I still recall the day of the assembly. It was a small gathering of highly skills people like me. “The company” was assessing our abilities in the areas of weaponry and chemistry. I was a top chemist and a natural marksman, probably the best in my group. They ascribed my success to my steady hands and sharp eyes, the same tools I used for chemistry.

After the assembly, they gave us our assignments. I was assigned to assimilate into the mainstream society of a Latin American country. It wasn’t long before I was doing things that I will forever be ashamed to admit.

It’s been over for about 15 years. But I’ll never feel clean and I’ll never be able to assert that I have been a good man all my life.

我在一家汽车厂的流水线上工作。大多数时候,我只是组装汽车配件。有时,他们会让我化验某种不明药物。有时,我又去帮忙劝架。这里很少有人身攻击。不过,时不时会有一名灰心丧气的工人抨击他的助手,就其工作的某方面进行诽谤。我被视为公司的宝贝。但20年前,我被另一家完全不同的公司视为另一种类型的宝贝。

他们所谓的“公司”实际上是一个受过训练、专门暗杀政界领导人的秘密政府组织。我从未渴望做个刺客。事实上,我是个有抱负的化学家,又是部队中的一名常备兵。我的全部思想就是成就大事、为国效力。但有时,理想过于远大只会将你引入歧途。

我仍记得那天的集会。那是个小集会,与会者都是些像我这样的技术精湛的人员。当时“公司”评估我们在武器和化学领域的才能。我既是最优秀的化学家,又是天生的神枪手,很可能是我们小组中最棒的。他们我的成功归于我稳健的双手和敏锐的眼睛,这也是我搞化学时用的工具。

后,“公司”给我们下达了任务。我的任务是渗透进入一个拉美国家的主流社会。不久,我就开始做些我永远耻于承认的事情。

这一切已经过去15年了。但我将永远感到自己的肮脏,永远无法斩钉截铁地说我做了一辈子的好人。

返回列表