听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 2012.3.8-回家(2)
返回列表 发帖

2012.3.8-回家(2)

“Are you married?”
  “你结婚了吗?”

“I don't know.”
  “我不知道。”

“You don't know?” she said.
  “你不知道?”那女孩很奇怪。

“Well, when I was in jail I wrote to my wife,” he said. “ I told her that I was going to be away a long time, and that if she couldn't stand it, if the kids kept asking questions, if it hurt too much, well, she could just forget me, I'd understand. Get a new guy, I saidshe‘s a wonderful woman,really somethingand forget about me. I told her she didn't have to write me for nothing. And she didn‘t. Not for three and a half years.”
  “是这样,我在狱中时曾给我妻子写过一封信”他说,“告诉她我要离开很长一段时间,如果她忍受不了,如果孩子不断追问,如果这使她非常痛苦,那么她可以忘了我,我会理解的。我叫她重新嫁人,我知道她是个很不错的女人,真的不一般。我让她忘了我,我让她别给我写回信,因为这没有用,她也真没回信,我已有三年半没有她的音信了。”

“And you're going home now, not knowing?”
  “那么你就这样盲目地回家去?”

“Yeah,” he said shyly. “ Well, last week, when I was sure the parole was coming through, I wrote her again. We used to live in Brunswick, just before Jacksonville, and there's a big oak tree just as you come into town. I told her that if she'd take me back, she should put a yellow handkerchief on the tree, and I'd get off and come home. If she didn't want me, forget itno handkerchief, and I'd go on through.”
  “也不是,”他略带腼腆地说:“上周当我确知假释得到批准时,我又给她写过一封信。过去我们住在布伦斯威克,就在杰克逊维尔前面,在进城去的路上有一棵高大的橡树。我告诉她,如果她愿意我回来就在树上挂一方黄手帕,我就下车回家。如果她不要我就忘掉这件事,看不见手帕,我也就不下车了。”

“Wow,” the girl exclaimed. “Wow.”
  “噢,是吗?”那个女孩惊讶极了。

She told the others, and soon all of them were in it, caught up in the approach of Brunswick, looking at the pictures Vingo showed them of his wife and three children. The woman was handsome in a plain way, the children still unformed in the much-handled snapshots.
  她把这事告诉了同伴们,于是他们都盼着快点到伦斯威克。温格又给他们看了一张他妻子与三个孩子的照片。这是一张被摸旧了的照片:一个面容端庄的妇女与三个年岁还小的孩子。

Now they were 20 miles from Brunswick, and the young people took over window seats on the right side, waiting for the approach of the great oak tree. The bus acquired a dark, hushed mood, full of the silence of absence and lost years. Vingo stopped looking, tightening his face into the ex-con's mask, as if fortifying himself against still another disappointment.
  现在他们离布伦斯威克只有20英里了,那班年轻人占据了车右边靠窗的座位,等待着那棵橡树的出现。汽车里一片阴暗和肃静。充满着所失去的岁月的沉重的气氛。温格则低下头,一副囚犯们所特有的绷紧的面容,不敢往外看,好象是防备着又一次失望的打击。

Then Brunswick was ten miles, and then five. Then,suddenly, all of the young people were up out of their seats, screaming and shouting and crying, doing small dances of joy. All except Vingo.
  离布伦斯威克只有十英里了,五英里了,突然,那班年轻人全都叫着从座位上跳了起来,高兴得手舞足蹈,只有温格例外。

Vingo sat there stunned, looking at the oak tree. It was covered with yellow handkerchiefs20 of them, 30 of them, maybe hundreds, a tree that stood like a banner of welcome billowing in the wind. As the young people shouted, the old con rose and made his way to the front of the bus to go home.
  温格目瞪口呆地坐在那儿,望着窗外的橡树,那上面挂满了黄手帕。20块,30块,也许有好几百块,这棵树站在那儿,就象一面欢迎的大旗,在风中飘扬。在年轻人的叫喊声中,那个往日的囚徒站起来,走到车门前,然后向家走去。

the yellow handkerchief is the  symbol of forever love and actually his wife is a very nice guy。。。I really admire her courage and spirit。and she is strong woman 。i will keep this sight in my mind until the end of the earth。

回复 2# seaso

Yes, she is a very strong woman.

Very touched, thanks for that women give prisoners a chance, at the same time I also learned to leniently

thank you for your story

返回列表