听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 6月17日英语故事:Everything happens for the best
返回列表 发帖

6月17日英语故事:Everything happens for the best

"Everything happens for the best," my mother said whenever I faced disappointment. "If you carry on, one day something good will happen. And you'll realize that it wouldn't have happened if not for that previous disappointment."  

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

Mother was right, as I discovered after graduating from college in 1932. I had decided to try for a job in radio, then work my way up to sports announcer. I hitchhiked to Chicago and knocked on the door of every station - and got turned down every time. 
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

In one studio, a kind lady told me that big stations couldn't risk hiring an inexperienced person. "Go out in the sticks and find a small station that'll give you a chance," she said. 
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I thumbed home to Dixon, Illinois. While there was no radio-announcing jobs in Dixon, my father said Montgomery Ward had opened a store and wanted a local athlete to manage its sports department. Since Dixon was where I had played high school football, I applied. The job sounded just right for me. But I wasn't hired. 
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

My disappointment must have shown. "Everything happens for the best," Mom reminded me. Dad offered me the car to job hunt. I tried WOC Radio in Davenport, Iowa. The program director, a wonderful Scotsman named Peter MacArthur, told me they had already hired an announcer.
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

As I left his office, my frustration boiled over. I asked aloud, "How can a fellow get to be a sports announcer if he can't get a job in a radio station?" 
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I was waiting for the elevator when I heard MacArthur calling, "What was that you said about sports? Do you know anything about football?" Then he stood me before a microphone and asked me to broadcast an imaginary game. 

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

On my way home, as I have many times since, I thought of my mother's words: "If you carry on, one day something good will happen. Something wouldn't have happened if not for that previous disappointment." 
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

I often wonder what direction my life might have taken if I'd gotten the job at Montgomery Ward.
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

quote from the article"If you carry on, one day something good will happen." I strongly believe that.

Everything happens for the best
like Forrest Gump's said that.

Everything happens for the best

回复 3# kobe

我觉得你的座右铭应该是:不要撒谎,因为不信你的人你骗不到,骗到的都是信你爱你的人。无论骗的是谁,最受伤的是你自己。

返回列表