听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » Give up halfway
返回列表 发帖

Give up halfway

During the Warring States Period (475-221BC), there was a man called Yue Yangzi in State Yue. One day he saw a piece of gold on the road and picked it up. He took it home and gave it to his wife. But his wife was not happy. The virtuous(善良的) woman said, "I hear that a man of morality doesn't drink a thief's water and a man of probity(廉洁) refuses to accept alms. What do you think of the action of picking up another's lost valuable and possessing it for one's own?"

Yue Yangzi, feeling ashamed, sent the gold back to where he found it.

The next year, Yue Yangzi felt that he should go out and visit scholars to enrich his knowledge. So he set off.

A year later, he came back home suddenly.

"Why have you returned?" asked his wife in surprise, "You've only spent one year studying with scholars."

"I come back because I missed you very much."

Without saying anything, his wife took a pair of scissors and went to the loom(织布机) at which she had worked. Pointing at the half done brocade(锦缎), she proclaimed : "This brocade is woven from the finest silk. I wove one strand after another to produce the brocade. Now if I cut it, all my previous work will be wasted. It's the same with your studies. You can acquire knowledge only through diligence. Now, you've stopped halfway. Isn't it the same as cutting the brocade on the loom?"

Yue Yangzi was moved by what she said. He again left home to visit scholars. Several years later he became a learned man.

I admire his wife

His wife is very bright

The woman looked like a teacher more than a wife.

Yue Yangzi is a teachable man.

半途而废

I think we should read the story, it's a good story

Maybe his wife have other man. If not she is a good teacher.

nice

she is clever

that's a cool and classic chinese story!!

返回列表