听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 【每日英语故事9月8日】——你是我的幸福之二
返回列表 发帖

【每日英语故事9月8日】——你是我的幸福之二

She thought for a while and then continued. We were talking about engagement when your grandfather had to go to war. It was the most horrible day of my life when he left. I was so afraid of losing him, the only way I could stay sane was to dance. I put all my energy and time into practicingand I became very good. Critics praised me, the public loved me, but all I could feel was the ache in my heart, not knowing whether the love of my life would ever return. Then I went home and read and re-read his letters until I fell asleep. He always ended his letters with You are my Joy. I love you with my lifeand after that he wrote his name. And then one day a letter came. There were only three sentences: I have lost my leg. I am no longer a whole man and now give you back your freedom. It is best you forget about me.’”

I made my decision there and then. I took my leave, and traveled away from the city. When I returned I had bought myself a cane and wrapped my leg tightly with bandages. I told everyone I had been in a car crash and that my leg would never completely heal again. My dancing days were over. No one suspected the storyI had learned to limp convincingly before I returned home. And I made sure the first person to hear of my accident was a reporter I knew well. Then I traveled to the hospital. They had pushed your grandfather outside in his wheelchair. There was a cane on the ground by his wheelchair. I took a deep breath, leaned on my cane and limped to him.

By now I had forgotten about the pie and listened to grandma, mesmerized. What happened then?I hurried her when she took her time eating some pie.

I told him he was not the only one who had lost a leg, even if mine was still attached to me. I showed him newspaper clippings of my accident. So if you think Im going to let you feel sorry for yourself for the rest of your life, think again. There is a whole life waiting for us out there! I dont intend to be sorry for myself. But I have enough on my plate as it is, so youd better snap out of it too. And I am not going to carry you-you are going to walk yourself.’” Grandma giggled, a surprisingly girlish sound coming from an old lady with white hair.

I limped a few steps toward him and showed him what Id taken out of my pocket. Now show me you are still a man,I said, I wont ask again.He bent to take his cane from the ground and struggled out of that wheelchair. I could see he had not done it before, because he almost fell on his face, having only one leg. But I was not going to help. And so he managed it on his own and walked to me and never sat in a wheelchair again in his life.

What did you show him?I had to know. Grandma looked at me and grinned. Two engagement rings, of course. I had bought them the day after he left for the war and I was not going to waste them on any other man.

I looked at the drawing on the kitchen wall, sketched by my grandfathers hand so many years before. The picture became distorted as tears filled my eyes. You are my Joy. I love you with my life.I murmured quietly. The young woman in the drawing sat on her park bench and with twinkling eyes smiled broadly at me, an engagement ring carefully drawn on her finger.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

What is happiness? We always trace for...

The kind woman has changed the man's life ,she let the man who lost his leg in war become hopeful to life.
So, we can know from the impressive story that love is the greatest thing in the world. It make someone die,can also make someone relive.

评分人数

• jane019

回复 2# kobe

Happiness is always with you, just find it.

I seen one word in the vedio of TED:
"save a man from drowing,you are responsible to him for life."

评分人数

• jane019

good

回复~!~!~!~!~!~

返回列表