听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Jane Eyre <简爱>
返回列表 发帖

Jane Eyre <简爱>

PART ONE -  LIFE AT GATESHEAD
CHAPTER ONE
THE FIGHT

We couldn't go outside at all on that cold,rainy afternoon. The rain was pouring down, and the wind is blowing hard. I didn't care, I was happy to stay indoors.Trying to talk long walks in the winter was terrible! It was supposed to be healthy for our bodies, but I hated coming home in the dark with my feet and hand as cold as ice. And i was always unhappy because Bessie,one of the servantswas always scolding me. I had always know that I was different from my cousins, John, Eliza,and Georgiana Reed, they were prettier and taller than I, and everyone loved them.
These three children were not every nice to other people or to each other. Usually they spent their time fighting and crying each other, however, today they were with their mother in the sitting room, sitting quietly and talking in front of the warm fire, I wanted to join them,but Mrs. Reed, my aunt, said I could not. She was angry with me because Bessie had told to her I was beginning troublesome.
"No,I'm sorry, Jane," she said, looking at me as I was a rat on the floor. "Until i know that you are really trying to be good and quiet, I will not treat you like one of my children, They are good!". "What did Bessie tell you? What have I done?" I asked.
"Jane Eyre, do not ask me any more questions, you must do what you are told, if you cannot speak nicely and obey me, then be quite!"
After she left me I went into the litter room next door, I got a picture book from shelf and climbed on to the window seat, closing the curtains around me. Now no one would find me, I sarted out the window at the cold, gray November day. The rain fell hard on the garden, which had no leaves or flowers. Then I looked at the picture book, I was inside of a word of imagination. For a while, I forgot my sad, lonely life, and felt a little happier. I was only afraid that the Reed children might find me. Because they were cruel to me, I tried to talk to them as little as I could.
Suddenly, the door opened, John Reed ran in.
"where are you, you litter rat?" he said. he did not see my hiding place. "Eliza,Georgy! Jane is not here! Tell Mamma she's gone outside - what a bad girl she is!"
"How lucky I drew the curtain!" I though. I knew he would never find me, because he was very stupid. But his sister Eliza was not stupid, and she knew exactly where I was.
"She's in the window seat, John!" she said. Immediately, I came out because I did not want them to be angry with me. "what do you want"? I ask him.
"Say, what would you like, Master Reed?" he said, sitting in a comfortable chair. "I want you to come here."
John Reed was fourteen, and I only ten, He was large, ugly, and fat, he often ate too much at meals, whick made him look like a pig. Usually he was away at school, but his mother had made him come for a while, because she thought his health was no good. He did no have anything to do, but fight with his sisters, get into trouble with Bessie, and treat me badly.
John did not love his mother or his sisters, and he hated me, he was always cruel to me. Sometimes he hit me, and sometimes he just threatened me, But I was always afraid when he was near. I did not how to make him treat me well, The servants did not want to make him angry, so they did whatever he wanted, Mrs Reed, his mother, love him too much and thought he never did anything wrong.
when I walked over to John I thought about how ugly he was, I think he knew what I  was thinking, because he suddenly hit me hard on face.
"That is for your rudeness to Mamma just now." he said, "and for hiding, and for look at me like that, you dirty litter rat." I was too afraid of John to hit him back.
"Now, what were you doing behine that curtain?"he asked.
"I was reading,"I answered Softly.
"Give me the book."I gave it to him.
"You can't touch these book!" he said. "You have no money, because your father gave you nothing when he dead. You're nothing but a poor street rat. You ought to beg in the city, not live here with a gentleman's family. Anyway, all these books are mine, and show so is the whole house! I'll teach you not to tough my things again!" Before I would run away, he lifted the heavy book and threw it hard to me.
It hit me and I fell, cutting my hair on the door, I was great pain, and suddenly for the first time in my life, I was so angry that forgot my fear of John Reed.
"You are awful, cruel boy!" I shouted at him. "Why did you hit me? I haven't done anything to you, you don't even read those books, anyway,. You are nothing but stupid pig! You are the bad as a murderer!"
"What, what!" he screamed How dare you say these things to me? Do you hear this,sister? I will tell Mamma,but first...."
He ran to attack me, but now he was fighting with angry girl, in those moment I really thought he is bad as a murderer. I thought the blood running down my face, and the pain gave me strength, I fought him as hard as I could, hitting and biting. My strength surprised him, and he shouted to help, his sister ran and told their mother. She caled Bessie and Miss Abbott, her maid. they pull us apart and I heard them say, "what a litter animal, she attacked Master John!"
Mrs. Reed said calmly, take her away to the red room and lock her in there." And so they took t me upstairs.
As soon as twe arrived in the red room, I became quite again, I knew that it was a mistake to fight John. The servant look at me angrily.
"Really,Miss Eyre," said Bessie, "how could you hit him,he's your young master!"
"Why is he my master? I am no a servant!"I cried.
"No, Miss Eyre, you are not a servant. But you are the less than one,because you do not work here,"said Miss Abbottt. They look at me firmly.
"You must remember, Miss Jane,"said Bessie, "your aunt pays for your food and clothes, and you should be grateful to her, you have no other family".
All my life, people had told me this, but I could say nothing. I stayed quite, listening to these painful words.
"And if you are angry and rude, Mrs. Reed may sent you away" said Bessie.
Misss Abbott said "God will punish you, Jane Eyre,, if you're no careful. Pray to god, and say your sorry!" They left the room and locked the door behind them.
The red room was a cold, silence room. It was the largest bedroom in the house, but no one slept in it. Nine years ago my uncle, Mr. Reed, had died in this room. Since then, no one wanted to go into the room.
Now I was along I thought about the terrible people I lived with. John Reed, his sister, his mother, the servants, they are always scolded and hated me. Why could I never please them? Eliza is selfish, but she did no matter. Georginana had a bad temple, but everyone loved her because she was beautiful. John was ugly, cruel, violent, but nobody punished him. I tried to be good and make no mistakes, but they called me bad everyday, now I was fought John to protect myself, everyone blamed to me.
I spent the rest of the day in the red room asking myself why I have to suffer and why I life was so unfair? "Perhaps I should run away or starve myself to death, "I though sadly.
Soon it was dark outside. It was rainy, and I could hear the wind in the trees, it sounded like ghosts crying. I was no longer angry, and I began to think the Reeds might be right. Perhaps I was really bad inside. Did I deserve to die like my uncle Reed? I did not remember him, just before he died, he had made my Aunt Reed promise to care for me like their own children. Now she probably wished she had never made that promise to him!

评分人数

• halo

As I sat there in the dark, I began to think strange things. If Mr. Reed have lived, maybe he would have been nice to me. As I looked around the dark, quite room, I was afraid that Mr. Reed's ghost maight come back. what if he angry with his wife for treating me badly? He may rise from his grave,and appear in this room! I was so scared by this thought that I could not breathe. Suddenly, I saw a light moving on the ceiling, It was probably from a lamp outside, but i was so afraid that I did no think clearly, I though it must be a ghost, an angry ghost from the land of the dead! My heart be fast, Was that something moving near me? Screaming loudly, I run to the door and hit it with my fists. I want to brake it open and run far away from that cold, dark room. Soon Miss Abbott and Bessie came running to open it.
        "Miss Eyre, what's wrong? Are you ill"? asked Bessie.
        "Please! Please! let me leave this room!" I screamed.
        "Why? what happen?" she asked.
        "I saw a strange light in the room, I know it was a ghost," I cried, holding tightly onto Bessie,"
        "There's nothing wrong with her!" said Miss Abbott. "She screamed just to make us come. I know her all litter tricks!"
        I heard footsteps in the hall. "What is all that noise?" said an angry voice. Mrs. Reed came in, Abbott and Bessie, I told you to leave Jan Eyre in this room until I say she could leave!"
        "She screamed so loudly, Mrs. Reed,"said Bessie softly.
        "Let go of with her, Bessie," she said. "Jane Eyre, you will not leave this room until I say you can, Your tricks don't work with me! Now you will stay here one hour more!"
        "Oh Aunt, forget me,! I shall die if you keep me here....." I screamed and kicked as she help me.
        "Be quiet!" She pushed me back into the red room and locked the door. There I was in the darkness again, with the ghost and silence, I screamed until I must have fainted because I do not remember anything more.

返回列表