听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » Music thief
返回列表 发帖
In the middle of a hot July afternoon, when the stifling air came with rippling waves of heat, I became a thief of some sort—a thief of music.

For the first time, I had created an original piano arrangement of one of my favorite songs. Not once had I looked for the help of premade sheet music or video tutorials on YouTube. Using only my ears and iPod, I had transformed a mix of intermingling sounds and intricate melodies into the tones of a single instrument; I had created complex harmonies and voices into something I could perform with only two hands. No help, no guide: I had done it on my own.

I’ve been a pianist since before my hands were big enough to reach an octave: with a musician and composer for a father, I was all but born on the piano bench. For many years, my musical identity was defined by the notes that others had written in centuries past: elegant lines of neatly printed notes stamped across sheet music became the script I was obligated to perform. I valued playing classical music—adored it, even—but such performances felt inherently shallow, lacking in depth and details because I had nothing of my own to contribute to the masterful compositions of Bach or Rachmaninov.

This was why, when I added the finishing touches to my piano version of a modern alt-rock song, my pride was all-consuming and glorious: this arrangement was mine. What I’d done seemed magical: an ability to take what had already existed—to “steal” a song from my favorite band—and to change it into something different and all my own. I was a thief, but I was also an artist.

In music, as in other aspects of life, I believe that true originality rarely exists. Almost everything has, in one form or another, been done before. The most passionate romance novel may very well be a slightly changed version of a play by Shakespeare, which in turn is borrowed from the playwrights of Ancient Greece: same themes, different characters, different circumstances. But, the novel is no less deserving of praise just because its uniqueness is compromised.

Adaptation is not a synonym for failure.

The gift of creativity is the ability to do what I did on the piano: to find something beautiful, to analyze and twist it and lose yourself in the mystery of its composition, and then to make it new. Such an act is not copying; it is finding inspiration and having the strength and the innovation to use it as fuel for your own masterpiece. The world is nothing more than disparate collections of preexisting parts—scattered and often lost in the chaos of everyday life. I believe it is my job, as an artist, to rearrange this world into what I envision it to be.

I refuse to live as if I were trapped within the walls of a museum: looking but never touching, afraid to ruin the so-called perfection of the artifacts inside. Therefore, I will embrace my ability to be a thief, because if I don’t steal what the world has to offer, I’ll never have the tools to share with others a creation of my own.

My life is my own arrangement, and because of that, anything is possible.

Vocabulary:

1. stifling: (房间或天气)闷热的,令人窒息的;rippling: 泛起波纹的。

2. arrangement: 〈音乐〉编曲,改编曲。

3. sheet music: 活页乐谱,即印在散页上的乐谱;tutorial: 软件教程。

4. intermingling: 混合在一起的,交织在一起的;intricate: 错综复杂的;instrument: 乐器。

5. stamp: 在……印盖(图案,文字等);script: 原稿,剧本;obligated: 有义务的,有责任的。

6. inherently: 内在地,直觉地;contribute to: 为……做贡献;Bach: 巴赫,德国作曲家,是洛可可音乐风格的代表人物;Rachmaninov: 拉赫曼尼诺夫,著名俄国作曲家。

7. finishing touch: 最后一笔;alt-rock: 另类摇滚乐;all-consuming: 消耗一切的,占用所有精力的。

8. playwright: 剧作家;circumstances: (常用复数)环境,情况。

9. deserve: 值得,应得;compromised: 妥协了的,受到危害的。

10. adaptation: 改编,改编作品;synonym: 同义词。

11. lose oneself: 专注于……,沉浸于……。

12. disparate: 完全不同的,从根本上有区分或不同的;scatter: 分散,散开;chaos: 混乱,无序。

本文的小主人公是一位钢琴家。一个炎热的下午,她将一首另类摇滚乐改编成钢琴曲,因而获得了极大的满足。因为在依葫芦画瓢地照着他人所作的乐谱弹奏了这么多年后,她终于第一次有了属于自己的作品。同时,她从这件事上获得了一个启迪:每个人都是自己人生的改编者,你要善于和勇于利用前人留给你的东西,去编写属于自己的人生乐章!

返回列表