听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » [1-8]国王约翰和修道院长King John and the Abbot
返回列表 发帖

[1-8]国王约翰和修道院长King John and the Abbot

There was once a king of England whose name was John.Hewas a bad king;for he was harsh and cruel to his people,and solong as he could have his own way ,he did not care what becameof other folks.He was the worst king that England ever had.

Now,there was in the town of Canterbury  a rich old abbotwho lived in a grand style in a great house called the Abbey  .When King John heard of the way in which the abbot lived,hemade up his mind to put a stop to it.So he sent for the old man tocome and see him.He said,“Your fault is plain,and unless youcan answer me three questions,your head shall be cut off,and allyour riches shall be mine.”

“I will try to  answer them,o king!”said the abbot.

“Firstly,you must tell me just how long I shall live.Sec-ondly,you must tell me how soon I shall ride round the wholeworld;and lastly,you shall tell me what I think.Two weeks youshall have.If then you fail to answer me,you shall lose yourhead,and all your lands shall be mine. ”

The abbot went to Oxford and Cambridge,and wanted to seeif any of the wise could help him.But they could not.

At last,sad and sorrowful,he rode towards home.Then hemet his shepherd .“What news do you bring us from great KingJohn?”

回复 1# kobe

“Sad news, sad news,”said the abbot;and then he told himall that had happened.

“Cheer up,cheer up,good master.I think I can help you outof your trouble.”

Everybody said he looked just like the abbot.He dressedhimself with great care.Over his shepherd's coat he threw theabbot's long gown ,and he borrowed the abbot's cap and goldenstaff .When all was ready,no one in the world would havethought that he was not the great man himself.Of course,the kingdid not know him.

“How long shall I live?”“You shall live until the day thatyou die,and not one day longer.”

“How soon I will ride round the world?”“You must rise withthe sun,and you must ride with the sun until it rises again the nextmorning.As soon as you do that,you will find that you haveridden the world in twenty-four hours.”

回复 2# kobe

“What do I think?”“You think that I am the Abbot of Can-terbury.But,to tell you the truth,I am only his poor shepherd,and I come to beg your pardon  for him and for me.”And withthat,he threw off his long gown.

The king laughed long and long.“Very well,then.I willgive you something to pay you for this merry joke.I will give youfour pieces of silver every week as long as you live.And whenyou get home,you may tell the old abbot that you have broughthim a free pardon from King John.”

回复 3# kobe

以前,英格兰有个国王,名叫约翰。他是个不得人心的国王,因为他对他的臣民残暴苛刻,他只顾自己顺心,为所欲为,不管别人的死活。他是英格兰历代最坏的国王。
当时,在坎特伯雷市,有一个富有的老修道院长,他住在一所叫威斯敏斯特教堂的雄伟建筑里,过着豪华的生活。约翰国王听说老修道院长的生活方式以后,就打定主意加以制止。于是他派人把那个老人叫来见他。他说:“你的过错是一清二楚的,我提三个问题,你要是回答不出来,我就砍掉你的脑袋,而且你的全部财富都要归我所有。”
“我试试回答吧,国王!”修道院长说。
“首先,你必须告诉我,我能活多久。第二,你必须告诉我,我骑马周游世界要用多长时间。最后,你要告诉我,我在想什么。给你两个星期,如果到时候回答不上来,我就要砍掉你的脑袋,你的全部土地也将归我所有。”

回复 4# kobe

于是修道院长来到牛津和剑桥。他想了解一下,看看那些聪明的教授有没有人能帮助他。但他们不能。
最后,他又发愁又伤心,骑马回家。然后,他遇到他家的牧羊人。“您从伟大的约翰国王那里给我们带来什么消息了?”
“不好的消息,不好的消息,”修道院长说,接着,他把发生的一切都告诉了他。
“振作起来,振作起来!好主人。我想我能够帮助你摆脱困境。”
大家都说他长得像修道院长。他精心打扮起来。在羊倌上衣外面套上了修道院长的长袍,并借来了修道院长的帽子和金手杖。一切准备就绪,世界上的任何人都不会认为他不是那位大人物本人。当然,国王是认不出他来的。
“我能活多久?”“你能活到你死的那天,多一天也活不了。”

回复 5# kobe

“我骑马周游世界要用多长时间?”“你必须日出而起,而且你必须跟着太阳骑马赶路,直到第二天早晨太阳重新升起为止。只要你这样做,你就会发现,在小时里你已经骑马周游世界一周了。”
“我现在想什么?”“你在想我是坎特伯雷市的修道院长。但是我给你说实话,我只是他的穷牧羊人。我来这里是求您原谅他和我。”说罢,他脱下他的长袍。
国王放声大笑很久很久。“那么好啦!我要给你点东西,酬谢这次有趣的玩笑。只要你活着,我每个星期都给你个银币。另外,回家以后,你可以告诉老修道院长,你给他带来了约翰国王的特赦。”

返回列表