听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » [1-15]英语故事 乔治·华盛顿和他的斧子
返回列表 发帖

[1-15]英语故事 乔治·华盛顿和他的斧子

While the Presidential election was taking place in the Houseof Representatives,amid scenes of great excitement,strife andintrigue,which was to decide whether Jefferson or Burr shouldbe the chief magistrate of the nation,Jefferson was stopped oneday,as he was coming out of the Senate chamber,by GovernorMorris,a prominent leader of the Federalists.

Mr.Morris said,“I wish to have an earnest talk with you,Mr.Jefferson,on the alarming situation of things.”

“I am very glad,”said Jefferson,“to talk matters over withyou.”

“As you well know,” said Mr.Morris,“I have been stren-uously opposing you,as have also the large majority of theStates.”

回复 1# kobe

“To be frank with you,”he continued,“we are very muchafraid of you.We fear,first,that you will turn all the Federalistsout of office;second,that you will put down the navy;third,that you will wipe off the public debt.Now,if you will declare,or authorize your friends to declare that you will not take thesesteps,your election will be made sure.”

Mr.Jefferson replied,“Governor Morris,I naturally wantto be President,and yet I cannot make any terms to obtainthe position.I shall never go into the office by capitulation.I cannot have my hands tied by any conditions which wouldhinder me from pursuing the measures which I deem best forthe public good.I must be perfectly free.The world canjudge my future course by that which I have hitherto fol- lowed.I am thankful to you for your interest,but I cannotmake the slightest promise.”

当总统选举正在众议院进行的时候,在决定到底应该是杰斐逊还是博尔作国家总统的异常激烈而又充满斗争和阴谋的一幕幕当中,一天,正当杰斐逊走出参议院的时候,他被莫里斯州长,一个卓越的北部联邦同盟盟员的领导人拦住了。
莫里斯先生说:“杰斐逊先生,我想就这一令人担忧的形势和你进行一次诚恳的交谈。”“我非常愿意,”杰弗逊说,“和你讨论这些问题。”

回复 3# kobe

“正象你所熟知的那样,”莫里斯先生说,“我一直都在坚决反对你,就象美国的绝大多数人那样。我们都很怕你。我们担心,第一,你会把所有的联邦主义者赶出政府。第二,你会削减海军。第三,你会了结公债。现在,如果你宣布,或者授权你的朋友们宣布你将不采取这些措施,那么你的选举就会得到保证。”
杰斐逊先生回答道:“莫里斯州长,我自然想当总统,然而我不能为获得这一职位而达成任何协议。我将永远也不会通过投降而就职的。我的双手不能被任何将妨碍我追求那些我认为对公众利益最有利的措施的情况所束缚。我必须完全自由。世界可以判断迄今为止我一直在遵循的未来的路线。我感谢你对此的兴趣,但我不能做丝毫的承诺。”

返回列表