“If a brick cannot be ground into a mirror,”replied Huai Rang, “then can you become a Buddhaby sitting in deep meditation?”
怀让答道:“砖头不能磨成镜子,难道你坐禅就能成佛吗?”
Ma Zu was rather displeased, and said:
马祖很不高兴,说:
“What do you mean?”
“你这是什么意思?”
Huai Rang explained:
怀让解释说:
“For example, an ox pulls a cart, but the cart doesn’t move. Now, you say, should you whipthe ox or push the cart?”
“打个比方说,牛拉车,车不动。你说,应该打牛还是推车?”
Ma Zu hummed and hawed but couldn’t answer.
马祖支支吾吾答不上来。
At this moment, Huai Rang said to him seriously:
这时候,怀让认真地对他说:
“You learn to sit in meditation in order to become a Buddha.
“你学坐禅是为了成佛,
In fact,it relies on wisdom and comprehension of the mind to become one,not at all on sitting.
其实,成佛靠的是心灵的颖悟,根本不是坐着能解决的。”
“As for a Buddha, he has no fixed appearance, so the mind cannot fix on any single object.
“而佛呢,没有固定的相貌,所以心不能停留在任何一种事物上。
If you try to learn Buddhism by sitting in meditation, that would amount to throttling aBuddha.
你想坐禅学佛,也就是杀佛。
If you obstinately dwell on external appearance, you will never comprehend the real Buddhistdoctrine.”
你固执着外相,就永远不能领悟到真正的佛理。” |