听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 8月14日英语故事:a pair of socks
返回列表 发帖

8月14日英语故事:a pair of socks

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what
you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译
红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

One fine afternoon I was walking along Fifth Avenue, when I remembered that it was necessary to buy a pair of socks. I turned into the first sock shop that caught my eye, and a boy clerk who could not have been more than seventeen years old came forward. “What can I do for you, sir?” “I wish to buy a pair of socks.” His eyes glowed. There was a note of passion in his voice. “Did you know that you had come into the finest place in the world to buy socks?” I had not been aware of that, as my entrance had been accidental. “Come with me,” said the boy, ecstatically. I followed him to the rear of the shop, and he began to haul down from the shelves box after box, displaying their contents for my delectation.
     “Hold on, lad, I am going to buy only one pair!” “I know that,” said he, “but I want you to see how marvelously beautiful these are. Aren’t they wonderful?” There was on his face an expression of solemn and holy rapture, as if he were revealing to me the mysteries of his religion. I became far more interested in him than in the socks. I looked at him in amazement. “My friend,” said I, “if you can keep this up, if this is not merely the enthusiasm that comes from novelty, from having a new job, if you can keep up this zeal and excitement day after day, in ten years you will own every sock in the United States.”
         My amazement at his pride and joy in salesmanship will be easily understood by all who read this article. In many shops the customer has to wait for someone to wait upon him. And when finally some clerk does deign to notice you, you are made to feel as if you were interrupting him. Either he is absorbed in profound thought in which he hates to be disturbed or he is skylarking with a girl clerk and you feel like apologizing for thrusting yourself into such intimacy.
        He displays no interest either in you or in the goods he is paid to sell. Yet possibly that very clerk who is now so apathetic began his career with hope and enthusiasm. The daily grind was too much for him; the novelty wore off; his only pleasures were found outside of working hours. He became a mechanical, not inspired, salesman. After being mechanical, he became incompetent; then he saw younger clerks who had more zest in their work, promoted over him. He became sour. That was the last stage. His usefulness was over.
       I have observed this melancholy decline in the lives of so many men in so many occupations that I have come to the conclusion that the surest road to failure is to do things mechanically. There are many teachers in schools and colleges who seem duller than the dullest of their pupils; they go through the motions of teaching, but they are as impersonal as a telephone.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

他眼睛发光,激动地说道:“难道你不知道你已经来到世界上最出色的买袜子的地方吗?”事实上我并不知道这个,我的进入只是一个偶然。“跟我来。”男孩入神地说道。我跟着他来到店铺里面,他开始将一个又一个的盒子从货架上取下来,并向我展示盒子里的袜子。

评分人数

• zora

他的眼睛充满光芒,激动地说道:“难道你不知道你已经进入了买世界上最出色的袜子的店铺吗?”但事实上,我并不知道这些,进入这家店是很不经意的。“跟我来”,那个男孩入神地说道。我跟着他来到店铺里面,他将一个又一个的盒子从货架上取下来,向我展示盒子里的袜子。

评分人数

• zora

他的眼睛亮了一下,好像在说:“难道你不知道你这是世上最好的袜子店吗?”然而我并没有注意到这些,我不过是偶然才来到进入这家店的。“跟我来”,那个男孩说。我跟着他来到店后面,他从货架上拿下来一个又一个的盒子给我看盒子里的袜子。

评分人数

• zora

他的两眼放光,激动地说道:“难道你不知道你已经进入可以买到世界上最出色的袜子的店吗?”但事实上,我并不知道这些,进入这家店是很偶然的的。“跟我来”,那个男孩入神地说道。我跟着他来到店铺里面,他将一个又一个的盒子从货架上取下来,向我展示盒子里的袜子

评分人数

• zora

他的眼睛放光,在他的声音中充满了热情:“你知道吗,你来到了这世界上最好的买袜子的商店!”我之前并未意识到这点,因为我进入这里纯属偶然。“跟我来。”男孩儿入神的说。我尾随他来到商店的后面,然后他开始把箱子从架子上一个个的搬下来,把货物摆好供我挑选。

评分人数

• zora

他的眼睛发亮,热情的对我说:您知道吗,您走进了世界上做好的袜子店?我还没有意识到这个,因为我走进来纯属偶然。请跟我来。男孩高兴的说。我跟着他走到店的内部。他开始从货架上拿下一箱箱的盒子,愉快地向我展示袜子。

评分人数

• zora

他的眼睛闪闪发亮,在他的声音里透出一丝激情,“您知道吗?您来到了世界上卖袜子最好的地方?”我踏入这家店纯属偶然,根本就没有意识到这。“请您跟我来”,男孩入神地说。我跟着他来到商店的后方,他开始将袜子从货柜的盒子里一双双拿出来,展示在我的面前。

评分人数

• zora

返回列表