Board logo

标题: 【名 著】2011.9.16-Pride and Prejudice(5) [打印本页]

作者: blueskywhy    时间: 2011-9-16 18:03     标题: 【名 著】2011.9.16-Pride and Prejudice(5)

“Aye, so it is,'' cried her mother, "and Mrs. Long does not come back till the day before; so it will be impossible for her to introduce him, for she will not know him herself.''

“唔,原来如此,”她的母亲嚷道,“郎格太太可要挨到开跳舞会的前一天才能赶回 来;那么,她可来不及把他介绍给你们啦,她自己也还不认识他呢。”

”Then, my dear, you may have the advantage of your friend, and introduce Mr. Bingley to her.''

“那么,好太太,你正可以占你朋友的上风,反过来替她介绍这位贵人啦。”

“Impossible, Mr. Bennet, impossible, when I am not acquainted with him myself; how can you be so teazing?''

“办不到,我的好老爷,办不到,我自己还不认识他呢;你怎么可以这样嘲笑人?”

”I honour your circumspection. A fortnight's acquaintance is certainly very little. One cannot know what a man really is by the end of a fortnight. But if we do not venture, somebody else will; and after all, Mrs. Long and her nieces must stand their chance; and therefore, as she will think it an act of kindness, if you decline the office, I will take it on myself.''

“我真佩服你想得这般周到。两个星期的认识当然谈不上什么。跟一个人相处了两个星 期,不可能就此了解他究竟是怎样一个人。不过,要是我们不去尝试尝试,别人可少不了要 尝试的。话说到底,郎格太太和她的侄女一定不肯错过这个良机。因此,要是你不愿意办这 件事,我自己来办好了,反正她会觉得这是我们对她的一片好意。”

The girls stared at their father. Mrs. Bennet said only, “Nonsense, nonsense!''

女儿们都对父亲瞪着眼。班纳特太太只随口说了声:“毫无意思!”

”What can be the meaning of that emphatic exclamation?'' cried he. “Do you consider the forms of introduction, and the stress that is laid on them, as nonsense? I cannot quite agree with you there. What say you, Mary? for you are a young lady of deep reflection I know, and read great books, and make extracts.''

“你怎么这样大惊小怪!”他嚷道。“你以为替人家效点儿劳介绍是毫无意思的事吗? 你这样的说法我可不大同意。你说呢,曼丽?我知道你是个有独到见解的少女,读的书都是皇皇巨著,而且还要做札记。”

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.

曼丽想说几句有见识的话可又不知道怎么说才好。

”While Mary is adjusting her ideas,'' he continued, "let us return to Mr. Bingley.''

于是班纳特先生接下去说:“让曼丽仔细想一想再发表意见吧,我们还是重新来谈谈彬 格莱先生。”

欢迎光临 英语听力论坛 (http://bbs.tingroom.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2