标题: 经济萧条时期热狗销节节上升 [打印本页]

作者: yoyo530521    时间: 2009-3-9 16:16     标题: 经济萧条时期热狗销节节上升

天天商务英语词汇

语音下载

remuneration (noun) 酬劳;偿还,赔偿

解释

payment, salary

例句

I'm afraid we find your remuneration demands simply too high.

天天商务英语报道

语音下载

Hot dog sales sizzle during downturn
经济萧条时期热狗销节节上升

Hot dog sales were up 2 percent in 2008, despite the economic downturn in almost every industry. So what makes the American favorite such a recession-proof meal? Adriene Hill finds out why from the epicentre of hot dog culture.
尽管在2008年各个行业都显得萧条,不过热狗的销量却增长了2%。是什么东西让这美国人喜欢的食品如何经受得住经济衰退呢?Adriene Hill从热狗文化的中心找到了答案。
Adriene Hill: Chicago loves its hotdogs.
Gus Paschalis: A Chicago hot dog is an all beef hotdog on a poppy seed bun, and there's mustard, onions, relish, pickle, there's sport peppers, tomato and celery salt.
That's Gus Paschalis. He owns and runs a hotdog stand called, I kid you not, "Weiner and Still Champion" in nearby Evanston.
Paschalis: Most people would say a hole in the wall, mom and pop type of restaurant.
It's definitely a little divey. But you can get a dog and hand cut french fries that are fried to order for $3.50. Not bad for a meal that contains most of the major food groups. Turns out the Chicago dog has a good "pedigree" for surviving tough times.
The Chicago style hotdog, loaded with veggies and condiments, got started back during the late 1920s. You could get your meal on a bun for a nickel. At least one hotdog stand called it a "depression sandwich." And while it may be overselling it a little to say sales now are "steaming" or "red hot," these days at Weiner and Still Champion, they're good.
Paschalis: We're actually doing better than we were doing last year.
The dinner time rush is pretty impressive for a hotdog stand. Melody Vogel's waiting on an order of french fries. She says she still has a job -- she works at a nearby church -- but she's more careful about how she spends money on food.
Melody Vogel: I'm trying to be a lot more conservative in what I buy. You know, I grew up in a big family so I'm used to the make spaghetti and eat it for a week kind of stuff -- make soup and add water.
She eats out less and she's more likely to go for cheaper options when she does eat out.
Darren Tristano: Consumers are trading down. Rather than going to, let's say, casual dining like an Applebees and paying at the $12-$13 level, they're shifting down to limited service.
Darren Tristano is an executive vice president at Technomic Incorporated, a food industry research firm.
He says hotdog stands are set to capitalize on food trends -- they're cheap, the food is fresh, customizable, portable, and he says, Chicago hot dogs taste really good.
All of which makes them a strong contender for a great recession meal.

作者: huafengwei    时间: 2009-8-25 15:28

广告

欢迎光临 英语听力论坛 (http://bbs.tingroom.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2