听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 9月21日英语故事:紫丁香的回忆(2)
返回列表 发帖

9月21日英语故事:紫丁香的回忆(2)

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what
you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

Finallythoughthey returned to their car for the trip home. While the kids chattered and the man drovethe woman sat smilingsurrounded by her flowersa faraway look in her eyes.

When they were within three miles of homeshe suddenly shouted to her husband"Stop the car. Stop right here!"

The man slammed on the brakes. Before he could ask her why she wanted to stopthe woman was out of the car and hurrying up a nearby grassy slope with the lilacs still in her arms. At the top of the hill was a nursing home andbecause it was such a beautiful spring daythe patients were outdoors strolling with relatives or sitting on the porch.

The young woman went to the end of the porchwhere an elderly patient was sitting in her wheelchairalonehead bowedher back to most of the others. Across the porch railing went the flowersin to the lap of the old woman. She lifted her headand smiled. For a few momentsthe two women chattedboth aglow with happinessand then the young woman turned and ran back to her family. As the car pulled awaythe woman in the wheelchair wavedand clutched the lilacs.

"Mom"the kids asked"who was thatWhy did you give her our flowersIs she somebody's mother"The mother said she didn't know the old woman. But it was Mother's Dayand she seemed so aloneand who wouldn't be cheered by flowers"Besides"she added"I have all of youand I still have my mothereven if she is far away. That woman needed those flowers more than I did. "

This satisfied the kidsbut not the husband. The next day he purchased half a dozen young lilacs bushes and planted them around their yardand several times since then he has added more.

I was that man. The young mother wasand ismy wife. Nowevery Mayour own yard is redolent with lilacs. Every Mother's Day our kids gather purple bouquets. And every year I remember that smile on a lonely old woman's faceand the kindness that put the smile there.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

返回列表