听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 休闲乐园 » 黄铜茶壶-6 The Brass Teapot-6
返回列表 发帖

黄铜茶壶-6 The Brass Teapot-6

He drove his kneecap into the sink as hard as he could make himself. The pain sent icy blood in every direction starting at his heart. Toppling over, he leered into the teapot. A five dollar bill. With every ounce of his courage he ran the water as hot as it would go, sitting on the bathroom floor to the right of the spigot, and he held his hand beneath it for twenty seconds while it burned his skin. With his eyes tightly shut, he listened to the sound of quarters dropping until he was sure that he finally had enough.
     他拼尽全力把自己的膝盖撞向水池里,疼痛使冰凉的血液从他的心脏向整个身体喷散。慢慢倒下,他朝茶壶撇了一眼。一张五元纸钞。他鼓起了全部勇气,把热水开到了最大,他坐在水龙头右边的厕所地上,把手放到龙头底下20秒钟,让热水就那样烫着。紧紧地闭着眼睛,他听到了25分硬币掉落的声音,他一直听着,直到他最后觉得足够了。
     Alice was embarrassed to pay with so much change. As they left, she tried not to look at the other diners who stared at them. She propped up her mysteriously wounded husband, searching for the front door through her one good eye.
     用这么多零钱来付款,Alice觉得很尴尬。他们走的时候,她尽量不去看那些盯着他们的其他客人。她扶起莫名其妙受伤的丈夫,用那只好用的眼睛寻找出去的门。     
     John had passed out on the couch not long after they returned home. Alice tinkered for a bit in the kitchen. He could hear whispers of "ow" and "shit" coming from the room, followed by the sound of change sprinkling into brass.
     回到家后没多久,John就已经在沙发上失去了知觉。Alice在厨房里乱忙了一会儿。他可以隐约听到从厨房里传来很小声的“ow”和“shit”,以及零钱掉落到黄铜茶壶里的声音。
     In the morning he realized he had overslept. Normally he would've been in his bed where the alarm was set, but in the living room all was silent. It was ten a.m. Alice was unaccounted for, as was the teapot. John rushed into work where they told him to go ahead and take the day off. They told him he looked "beat up." She could handle it on her own. She'd already proven that in less than two hours of processing shipments.
     早上起来的时候他发现睡过了头。平时他睡在床上,闹钟就在床边,但是客厅里什么声音也没有。已经十点了。Alice根本指望不上,就像那个茶壶。John匆匆忙忙赶去上班,但是他们告诉他还是回去睡吧,请一天假。他们告诉他看起来像是被人“暴揍”了一顿。她一个人可以搞定。近两个小时的货物处理已经证明了这一点。
     Dejected, John returned home to find his wife also not working.
     John垂头丧气地回到家,发现他的妻子也没有去上班。
     "Why are you home?" she asked. He stared into her face. The noon sunlight made her face look even worse than it had in the restaurant.
     “你怎么回来了?”她问。他盯着她的脸。正午的阳光让她的脸看起来比在餐厅的时候还要糟。
     "Why didn't you wake me up before you left this morning?" he asked.
     “你今天早上出门之前为什么不把我叫醒?”他问。
     She told him that she hadn't left that morning. She had accidentally knocked herself out in the garage when one of the hanging shovels had fallen on her head.
     她说她早上也没上班。她在车库里不小心被一个挂着的铁锹掉下来时当头砸倒了。
     John felt around her skull until his fingers reached the bump.
     John在她的头上抚摸,摸到了一个被砸起的肿块。
     "I'm fine," she said.
     “我没事,”她说。
     "We have to stop this!" he shouted. He forcefully took the teapot out of her arms and put it on top of a kitchen cupboard, where she couldn't reach. Undeterred, she scooted a chair over and took it down.
     “我们不能再这样下去了!”他喊道。他强行把那个茶壶从她怀里抢出来,放到了橱柜的上面,她够不到的地方。可她没有死心,急忙搬过来一把椅子把它拿了下来。

leer:撇
topple over:跌倒
undeter:没断念
scoot:急走

In your opinion, to possess this brass teapot is a good thing or a bad thing to this couple?

实用英语句型:
Telephone Conversation To Leave A Message:
Emma wants to speak to Geoffrey, but Geoffrey is not available.
Huge: Hello. Geoffrey's phone.
Emma: Hello. Is Geoffrey there, please?
Huge: No, I'm afraid he's not. He's in a meeting. Can I take a meesage?
Emma: Er...if you could ask him to call me as soon as possible.
      Er...sorry...Emma...to call Emma as soon as possilble, would you?
Huge: OK. Call Emma. ASAP. Has he got your number?
Emma: Er...yeah...yeah...he has. But if you could say that it's really important. I really need to speak to him within the next ten minutes. OK?
Huge: OK, Emma. I'll get Geoffrey to call you as soon as he comes out of the meeting.
Emma: Thanks. Thanks.
Huge: OK-bye.
Emma: OK-bye.

返回列表