听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 10月21日英语故事:The One-hundredth Prince
返回列表 发帖

10月21日英语故事:The One-hundredth Prince

read the story carefully and then translate the phrases which are marked in red or write down what you get from the story to gain the score. 试着翻译红色的部分或者发表自己的看法.

Once upon a time, there was a king who had one-hundred sons. The youngest, the one-hundredth, was Prince Gamani. He was very energetic, patient and kind.
从前有一个国王,他有一百个儿子。最小的王子也就是第一百位王子叫伽摩尼(Gamani),他为人非常善良、有耐心,而且精力充沛。

All the princes were sent to be taught by teachers. Prince Gamani, even though he was the one-hundredth in line to the throne, was lucky enough to have the best teacher. He had the most learning and was the wisest of them of all. He was like a father to Prince Gamani, who liked, respected and obeyed him.
所有的小王子都被送到老师那里去接受教育。尽管伽摩尼王子在王位的继承顺序上排在第一百位,他却很幸运地得到了最好的老师。这位老师是最博学最贤明的一位。这位老师就像是伽摩尼的父亲一样。伽摩尼爱他,尊敬他,服从他。

In those days, it was the custom to send each educated prince to a different province. There he was to develop the country and help the people. When Prince Gamani was old enough for this assignment, he went to his teacher and asked which province he should request. He said, "Do not select any province. Instead, tell your father the king that if he sends you, his one-hundredth son, out to a province, there will be no son remaining to serve him in his home city." Prince Gamani obeyed his teacher, and pleased his father with his kindness and loyalty.
那时候按照惯例要把受过教育的王子送去不同的省区,让他们去那里帮助人民发展生产。伽摩尼王子到了要接受任务的年龄时,他去向老师讨教自己应该要求去哪个地方。老师说:“任何一个省区你都不要选,而要告诉你的父亲如果他把你这第一百个儿子也派去外省,那么就没有儿子呆在自己身边为他自己和他的首府服务了。伽摩尼遵从了老师的建议,用他的善意和忠诚得到了父亲的欢心。

Then the prince went again to his teacher and asked, "How best can I serve my father and the people, here in the capital city?" The wise teacher replied, "Ask the king to let you be the one to collect fees and taxes, and distribute benefits to the people. If he agrees, then carry out your duties honestly and fairly, with energy and kindness."
随后小王子又去向老师请教:“我如何才能更好地为父亲和这首府的人民服务呢?”这位贤明的老师回答道:“请求国王给你征收税金税费和发放救济的权力。如果他同意了,你要拿出自己的干劲和仁慈,公平公正的履行那些职责。”

Again the prince followed his teacher's advice. Trusting his one-hundredth son, the king was glad to assign these functions to him. When he went out to perform the difficult task of collecting fees and taxes, the young prince was always gentle, fair and lawful. When he distributed food to the hungry, and other necessary things to the needy, he was always generous, kind and sympathetic. Before long, the one-hundredth prince gained the respect and affection of all.
小王子再次听从了老师的意见。国王信任他,也乐意将这些权力交给他。当这位年青的王子出去收税时,他总是彬彬有礼、合理又合法地完成了这个苦差。他也总是慷慨、和蔼而满怀怜悯地将食物分给饥饿者,把生活必需品分给穷人。没过多久,第一百位王子就得到所有人的尊敬和爱戴。

Eventually, the king came to be on his deathbed. His ministers asked him who should be the next king. He said that all his one-hundred sons had a right to succeed him. It should be left up to the citizens.
最后到国王临死之际,他的大臣们问他谁将成为下一位国王。国王说,他的一百个儿子都有权继承他的王位,而这选择权应该交给臣民。

After he died, all the citizens agreed to make the one-hundredth prince their next ruler. Because of his goodness, they crowned him King Gamani the Righteous.
国王死后,所有的臣民都赞成第一百位王子做他们下一位君主。因为他的仁心仁爱,臣民给了他一个美誉“正直的伽摩尼”。

When the ninety-nine older brothers heard what had happened, they thought they had been insulted. Filled with envy and rage, they prepared for war. They sent a message to King Gamani, which said, "We are all your elders. Neighbour countries will laugh at us if we are ruled by the one-hundredth prince. Either you give up the kingdom or we will take it by war!"
当他那九十九位哥哥听说此事后,他们觉得自己受到了侮辱。他们满怀嫉妒和愤怒准备发起战争。他们给国王伽摩尼送去了信函,上面说:“我们都比你年长。如果让你这个第一百位王子来统治我们,邻国就会嘲笑我们。要么你自动放弃王位要么我们通过武力来得到它。”

After he received this message, King Gamani took it with him to his wise old teacher, and asked his advice.
伽摩尼王子收到这封信后就带着信去见自己以前那位英明的老师,请他给意见。

It just so happened that this honorable gentle teacher was the reborn Enlightenment Being. He said, "Tell them you refuse to wage war against your brothers. Tell them you will not help them kill innocent people you have come to know and love. Tell them that, instead, you are dividing the king's wealth among all one-hundred princes. Then send each one his portion." Again the king obeyed his teacher.
突然之间那位高尚而可敬的老师就象是圣人再世一样。他说:“告诉他们你不会发动反对自己哥哥的战争,告诉他们你不会帮助他们去杀害你所认识和热爱的无辜民众;相反的,你会把国王的财富分成一百份,然后分别给他们送去一份。”伽摩尼国王又按照老师的意见去做了。

Meanwhile the ninety-nine older princes had brought their ninety-nine small armies to surround the royal capital. When they received the king's message and their small portions of the royal treasure, they held a meeting. They decided that each portion was so small it was almost meaningless. Therefore, they would not accept them.
与此同时,另外那九十九个王子已经带着他们的小军队包围了皇城。他们收到国王的信函和自己的那一份财产之后,就举行了一次会议。讨论后他们认为单独的那一份财产少得几乎没有任何意义。因此,他们决定不接受它。

But then they realized that, in the same way, if they fought with King Gamani and then with each other, the kingdom itself would be divided into small worthless portions. Each small piece of the once-great kingdom would be weak in the face of any unfriendly country. So they sent back their portions of the royal treasure as offerings of peace, and accepted the rule of King Gamani.
不过他们也认识到如果他们为反对国王而发动战争,之后又彼此争斗的话,整个王国就会分崩离析,那些分出来的小块地方在面对其它有敌意的国家时就容易被击败。所以他们送回了自己的那份财产以示求取和平的诚意,同时接受了伽摩尼这个国王。

The king was pleased, and invited his brothers to the palace to celebrate the peace and unity of the kingdom. He entertained them in the most perfect ways — with generosity, pleasant conversation, providing instruction for their benefit, and treating all with even-handed courtesy.
国王伽摩尼很高兴,他邀请自己的哥哥来宫殿做客以庆祝整个王国的和平统一。他尽自己最大的努力热情而慷慨地款待他们,与他们愉快地交谈,为他们的利益提供指导建议,不偏不倚地对待他们中每一个人。

In this way the king and the ninety-nine princes became closer as friends than they had been as brothers. They were strong in their support of each other. This was known in all the surrounding countries, so no one threatened the kingdom or its people. After a few months, the ninety-nine brothers returned to their provinces.
就这样国王和另外九十九位王子成为了朋友,他们的关系比兄弟更亲密。他们因彼此之间的支持而变得强大。这件事传遍了四周的邻国,因而没有谁再敢威胁这个国家和人民。几个月之后,国王的九十九个兄弟返回了他们的属地。

King Gamani the Righteous invited his wise old teacher to live in the palace. He honored him with great wealth and many gifts. He held a celebration for his respected teacher, saying to the full court, "I, who was the one-hundredth prince, among one-hundred worthy princes, owe all my success to the wise advice of my generous and understanding teacher. Likewise, all who follow their wise teachers' advice will earn prosperity and happiness. Even the unity and strength of the kingdom, we owe to my beloved teacher."
正直的国王伽摩尼把他那位贤明的老师接到宫殿里住。他敬重他,送给他许多礼物,赐予他巨大的财富。他为尊敬的老师举行了庆典,并在庆典上对着整个王室说:“
本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览
同样的,所有那些遵从贤明老师的意见做事的人都能获得成功和快乐。乃至于王国的统一和强大,我们都要归功于我所敬爱的老师。

The kingdom prospered under the reign of the generous and just rule of King Gamani the Righteous.
在这位正直明君伽摩尼的统治下,国家繁荣昌盛了。

The moral is: One is rewarded a hundred-fold for following the advice of a wise teacher.
这个故事告诉我们,听从贤明老师的建议会得到百倍的回报。

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

在一百个王子中,我是第一百个,我的成功都归功于慷慨有同情心的老师给了我有见识的建议。

评分人数

• 星期一

I, who was the one-hundredth prince, among one-hundred worthy princes, owe all my success to the wise advice of my generous and understanding teacher.
---------------------------------------------------
在一百位能继承王位的王子中我排在第一百位,能继承王位都是因为得到了这位慷慨大方又通情达理的老师。

评分人数

• 星期一

I, who was the one-hundredth prince, among one-hundred worthy princes, owe all my success to the wise advice of my generous and understanding teacher.
在一百个出色王子中,我是第一百个,我的成功都归功于慷慨而富有同情心的老师给了我明智的指点。

评分人数

• 星期一

thank you very much!

在一百个出色王子中,我是第一百个,我的成功都归功于慷慨而富有同情心的老师给了我明智的指点

评分人数

• 星期一

返回列表