听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 2011-5-27故事:迪克•惠廷顿和猫
返回列表 发帖

2011-5-27故事:迪克•惠廷顿和猫

please read the story carefully,then tell me what are you thinking about when you read the whole story~Don't be shy,just make your imagination fly in your sky!

Dick Whittington was a real person living in England about six hundred years ago. He went to London when he was young and made a fortune there by buying and selling cloth. He became Lord Mayor of London, and lent large sums of money to the king. He died in 1423, leaving all his money as a gift to help the poor.
         According to the stories, Dick Whittington was a poor orphan who went to London to seek his fortune because he had heard that its streets were paved with gold. In London he found a job helping the cook of a rich merchant. The merchant was sending a ship full of goods to Barbary in North Africa, and told his employees that each of them could send one thing in the ship to be sold along with the merchant’s goods. The only thing Dick Whittington owned was a cat, so he sent the cat.
          Meanwhile, he was badly treated by the cook and he decided to leave London. As he was walking away from London, on his way back home, he heard the Bow bells ringing and they seemed to say to him,
Turn again, Whittington,
        Lord Mayor of London.
        Dick turned and went back. Soon the ship returned, and Dick learned that his cat had been sold for a great price because Barbary was full of rats and needed cats to kill them. This started Dick on the road to wealth.

迪克•惠廷顿确有其人。他年轻时去伦敦,靠买卖布匹发了财。他后来当上了伦敦市长,连国王缺钱花时都要向他借。他死于1423年,死时把所有的遗产都捐给了慈善机构。
          据传说迪克•惠廷顿是个贫苦的孤儿,他去伦敦是为了发财,因为他听说伦敦的马路都是黄金铺的。在伦敦,他找到一份工作,为一个富商的厨师做帮厨。商人有一艘货船要发往北非的柏柏里,他通知仆人们每人可送一件东西与他的货一并出售。迪克•惠廷顿除了一只猫外一无所有,就把猫送去了。
         此时,迪克•惠廷顿难以忍受厨师的虐待,决定离开伦敦。在回家的路上,他听到伦敦圣玛利亚教堂的钟声敲响了,好像在对他说,
         回来吧,惠廷顿
         当市长,管伦敦
         迪克转身回去了。不久,商人的货船回来了,迪克得知他的猫卖了大价钱,因为柏柏里正闹鼠灾,急需大量的猫灭鼠。靠这笔钱迪克•惠廷顿走上了致富路。

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

The chance will be left for one who is ready and never give up!

评分人数

• yy2235

I don't know what I can say. But I think Dick is such a man who owns loving  heart.

评分人数

• yy2235

We must look on the bright side of everything as Dick.

评分人数

• yy2235

顶一下,不错不错....

返回列表